Verizon wireless internet cards...

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
Hey I'm moving to a location that doesn't have any wired broadband access except for satellite. I have Verizon for phone service and I've seen some of their wireless USB internet access devices. I was wondering how that works and if anyone here has experience with it. Does it work like a cell phone? Ie: you use minutes. Or is it unlimited, per-month charged?

Also, does it work well? What are your realistic download/upload speeds?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.:)

from my experience Sprint provides the best network connection there wireless cards run around $180 and unlimited data plan runs around 50.00 a month and burst speeds of around 2mbit, realistic speeds are around 500-700kbps ping times are around the 200ms range

Verizon's service from what I hear is lack luster at best down right horrid at worst.

good luck man, I personally could not live without my cable modem.

I've got a Novatel USB720 which I use with Verizon. The service is very good where I've used it. On average I get 1.2Mb down, 400Kb up, however I have gotten as high as 3Mb down while on the freeway. Latency wise, from west coast to east coast it's around 140ms.

i can vouch for the sprint service, we have a few of those cards at work and i get to use one from time to time, i've gotten full signal and perfectly usable internet in places where my tmobile cell phone couldn't even get 1 bar of signal.

Thanks for your insight guys, it's very appreciated. I'm probably going to stick with Verizon for now, as I've already got phone service with them. The access is unlimited, too, which is a very good thing.

Thanks for your insight guys, it's very appreciated. I'm probably going to stick with Verizon for now, as I've already got phone service with them. The access is unlimited, too, which is a very good thing.

Remember the term "unlimited" is not really unlimited. I have heard stories if you use too much bandwidth, they will cancel your service. One story was a guy who did was a designer who was constantly on the road uploading and downloading large art files and they killed his service without even letting him know... I have used the Sprint for web and email, works good. Not too crazy with the latest PCI-E cards they offer but it gets the job done.

Remember the term "unlimited" is not really unlimited. I have heard stories if you use too much bandwidth, they will cancel your service. One story was a guy who did was a designer who was constantly on the road uploading and downloading large art files and they killed his service without even letting him know... I have used the Sprint for web and email, works good. Not too crazy with the latest PCI-E cards they offer but it gets the job done.

You're right. Verizon's unlimited is really 5gb. Check with Sprint or Alltel for true unlimited. Alltel does not have wide coverage of EV-DO RevA yet though. However, Sprint does, and they have roaming agreements with Alltel on EV-DO.

At my Corp we try to go with Sprint Aircards. Novatel S720 is the model we have right now. They work awesome and I love mine. We have about 200 cards out there right now.

The next contender is VZW. They are nice but the Sprints just seem better.

If you want a PCMCI Sprint card, im sure I could ship you one for free :)

I certainly appreciate the offer, but I'm not using a laptop.:)

I'm just out in the boondocks with no DSL or cable internet, but the Verizon wireless internet network stretches to the area.

I certainly appreciate the offer, but I'm not using a laptop.:)

I'm just out in the boondocks with no DSL or cable internet, but the Verizon wireless internet network stretches to the area.

There are some routers that support the "Sierra" type cards of various services...Linksys makes one, also Kyocera (think it's a rebranded DLink)...so you basically get a router that has the EV-DO interface on the WAN side...a slot for the PCMCIA card to slap in.

PCMCIA cards have much better performance than the USB type EV-DO cards. More juice can go to them.

Back