Verizon unlimited plan (from way back)

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I think I'm about to give up my solo unlimited plan. I am thinking about getting a family plan with 3 users. It would be the 12 GB a month +2GB per user (18 GB shared).

Does anyone know if Verizon has any incentives to get me off this plan? Anything I can use as bargaining? Just curious.

I think they did away with incentives to switch away. They used to offer the Maxx plans, but no longer available. There is a general promotion going on for an extra 2gb/mo with certain plans (I believe 8gb and up), but I'm not aware of any unlimited-specific promotions these days.

If you give up unlimited, you can still sell the plan on ebay etc. With a bit of effort, you can keep your phone number, as well (by some trick re: porting your number out then requesting new number, or something to that effect).

Ok. I'll ask when I go in. Keeping my phone number is more important to me than the unlimited plan.

I just gave up my Verizon unlimited plan yesterday. I don't use much data only 2-3gb month. The offer they had for the S7 edge for $360 ($15 mo. x24) was available weather I kept unlimited or not. I just gave it up in order to offset the cost of the phone. I was at a corporate Verizon store. They didn't offer any incentives to switch when I inquired. The CSR that was helping me immediately commented on my unlimited data when he pulled up my account details though. It's rare that they get someone that still has the plan.

The only think you could probably get them to do is give you any special "new customer only" offers. Since, if you have unlimited data, you probably aren't under contract and can threaten to become a new customer instead of an existing customer if they refuse.

If you weren't against losing the number you could've sold the unlimited plan for a noteable amount of money. These days verizon has a quiet unlimited deal going where you turn on data protection in your account and even after you hit your 4g data limit it downgrades your speed but doesn't kill your data completely and doesn't charge you for overages. You might talk to verizon about it and see if your plan works with that...

Honestly I think it's just a matter of time before all carriers offer "unlimited" data. They all have gimmicks but it pulls in customers who don't want to worry about a cap.

T-Mobile - unlimited video and music streaming. **using a special protocol that limits your data speeds to 3G while using it. They use catch phrases like "stream in DVD quality video" which sounds good to the general public, but in reality, that's 480p.

Att - unlimited data. **sure it's unlimited, but after your package cap, they limit you to 3G speeds.

The other kicker is the term 3G. There is no number to hold that term to. 3G would mean 5mbps, it could mean 20. It could mean <1. Your LTE radio doesn't just turn off when you reach that amount of data usage. Those speeds you will see are completely artificial. Tower capacity has some weight, but most of it is going to be just an artificial bottleneck put on your account when they say you've had enough.

I kept my unlimited plan.

All Verizon stores were sold out of the iPhone 7 plus so I bought it from Apple. When I went to activate it at Verizon they said since I didn't finance the phone with them I didn't qualify for the 2 gig extra. Same vein, since I already had a phone I didn't qualify for the 2 gig extra.

I did finance a third phone (5e, for my parents) so I got the 10 gig + 2 gig. I think we could have done it with 16 gigs but 12 gigs was low. Wife uses about 6 and I use 7. I know I can cut my data way down, but with an unlimited plan I almost never go on wifi. Even at home.

I really thought we would get 10+6 gigs and be on the same plan. For one monthly cost.

Oh well.

Must depend who you get and location?

I was at a vzw store a few weeks ago looking to upgrade my dad from his flip phone to a smart phone. I told the lady: "I'm selfish and want to keep my unlimited plan. What can you do to get me to switch?"

Our current plan:
5 phones (max for plan)
1500 shared minutes
unlimited text. Data plans on individual phones

She looked up our account and saw the total per month was ~20GB for the last couple. I told her I've used more than their 'window' shows and I refuse (not that it's their problem) to connect to "guest wifi" from businesses but I do try to connect to my own or friends/family wifi.

After disappearing for a bit, she came back and said "for what you pay now, we could put you on a 50GB shared plan (including the 2GB per line bump)." "And once you go over 50GB, it's throttled but you don't pay overages" Or something to that effect.

Wasn't horrible but it's not unlimited :D

I kept my unlimited plan.

All Verizon stores were sold out of the iPhone 7 plus so I bought it from Apple. When I went to activate it at Verizon they said since I didn't finance the phone with them I didn't qualify for the 2 gig extra. Same vein, since I already had a phone I didn't qualify for the 2 gig extra.

I did finance a third phone (5e, for my parents) so I got the 10 gig + 2 gig. I think we could have done it with 16 gigs but 12 gigs was low. Wife uses about 6 and I use 7. I know I can cut my data way down, but with an unlimited plan I almost never go on wifi. Even at home.

I really thought we would get 10+6 gigs and be on the same plan. For one monthly cost.

Oh well.
That's a load of crap. The 2GB bonus has nothing to do with the financing of a phone through them.

I think so too but I didn't have proof.

I pay all the bills. My wife and parents were on att. Still we are paying about the same but we are getting 12gb instead of 4gb through att.

I'm sure we could have renegotiated att plan, but there is a major location we go where att has spotty coverage and Verizon is very good.

Overall a positive, but not what I wanted.

If you call att and press the menu options to talk to customer service to cancel your line you get the customer retentions department. they have the power to offer you much better plan rates if you tell them you are thinking of switching. I have a 20GB plan with 5 lines and only pay around $175 a month.

I was just forced by Verizon to give up my unlimited plan.. got a letter in the mail and called them to confirm it.. they said they're cutting me off since I regularly used over 50GB/mo. I switched over to Google Fi. Sadly they don't have unlimited, but at least now WiFi hotspots are more common than years ago.

I was just forced by Verizon to give up my unlimited plan.. got a letter in the mail and called them to confirm it.. they said they're cutting me off since I regularly used over 50GB/mo. I switched over to Google Fi. Sadly they don't have unlimited, but at least now WiFi hotspots are more common than years ago.

Holy crap just 50gb? I thought I read somewhere that it would be for people consistently over 100GB.

Holy crap just 50gb? I thought I read somewhere that it would be for people consistently over 100GB.
That's what I thought as well. But, good riddance to Verizon. I'm liking Google Fi much more. It is actually better for me since I'm in a lot of areas that Verizon never had coverage before that I can now use WiFi calling for. (at work, and in my basement)

Sounds like bs. Slickdeals & reddit have people claiming they've received the boot for as little as 30gb/mo. Never heard of the 500gb rule, nor 200gb. Maybe that's people on contract? Off contract they can dump you for no reason.

I'm fucked either way. Probably haven't used less than 200gb in well over a year. Even if they let me finish my contract through November 2017, appears they are now removing the ability to renew 2 year contracts completely.

Guess it was nice while it lasted. Certainly not looking forward to my only landline choice of 6mbps dsl with horrid reviews of constant downtime and far lower than advertised speeds. Sucks I literally just bought a Nexus 5X to use solely as a USB modem too.

Sounds like bs. Slickdeals & reddit have people claiming they've received the boot for as little as 30gb/mo. Never heard of the 500gb rule, nor 200gb. Maybe that's people on contract? Off contract they can dump you for no reason.

I'm fucked either way. Probably haven't used less than 200gb in well over a year. Even if they let me finish my contract through November 2017, appears they are now removing the ability to renew 2 year contracts completely.

Guess it was nice while it lasted. Certainly not looking forward to my only landline choice of 6mbps dsl with horrid reviews of constant downtime and far lower than advertised speeds. Sucks I literally just bought a Nexus 5X to use solely as a USB modem too.
Yup, that's how mine went. I wasn't allowed to renew the contract. In order to continue service, I would have been forced to sign up for a new plan with the "new" data rule set. Either that, or my service would be shut off. I didn't want to potentially lose my phone number, so I jumped ship. Life pretty much sucks now.. I'm capped on my data for my cell phone, and ComunistCast just capped my internet at 1TB as well.

Yup, that's how mine went. I wasn't allowed to renew the contract. In order to continue service, I would have been forced to sign up for a new plan with the "new" data rule set. Either that, or my service would be shut off. I didn't want to potentially lose my phone number, so I jumped ship. Life pretty much sucks now.. I'm capped on my data for my cell phone, and ComunistCast just capped my internet at 1TB as well.

What do you do to use that much data? I have a family share plan with 8 phones sharing 30gb of data and we have never exceeded the limit in a month?

Do you ever go outside and do something without a device tethered to you?

What do you do to use that much data? I have a family share plan with 8 phones sharing 30gb of data and we have never exceeded the limit in a month?

I use that much data since on night shift I always have some sort of media playing to keep me awake and/or drown out the loud HVAC in my office at work. Usually it is live streaming TV via VPN from my house.

What is the purpose of all these broadband providers providing fat pipes to the internet... marketing us consumers with non-stop ads, commercials, etc.. if we can't use the damn fast pipe to its full potential..

These greedy fucking bastards act like this is cutting into their bottom lines.. bs

Some people are just satisfied with limits. It's paying full price for a Lamborghini except it only comes with 1 gallon gas tank that has a lock that only opens once a month.

Back