Verizon Unlimited Data to end on 7/7

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/2...-by-tiered-data-only-new-customers-and-lines/

Well, don't know if thats true but if it is, guess I'm on this plan forever lol. Just upgraded to a Charge, phone should be here Thursday. Phone was $199 with no tax or any other fees plus free two-day shipping from Amazon Wireless. (Charge is $179 for new customers, T-Bolt was $129 for new customers!). I would've just cancelled my current plan and go in as a new customer to save money on the phone but I would lose a nice discount I have on my plan plus my talk & text plan that I have isn't offered anymore.

Sounds like a smokescreen to me. They'll make all the new awesome phones require some "exclusive" plan and force you to ditch unlimited to get them.

I am with Verizon, and this is making me mad, i pay $102.78 for 450 minutes with unlimited texts and web,

now they want to limit my internet useage, if i go to renew my contract, we'll i might just get rid of verizon now, and go to a prepaid cell phone now, and be done with it.

This is just stupid and until people stop letting companies do what they want, they will not stop. so i am going to look and see how much it is to stop my contract.

I am not going to lay down and take this BULLSH**

Sounds like a smokescreen to me. They'll make all the new awesome phones require some "exclusive" plan and force you to ditch unlimited to get them.

This is exactly how Sprint started it's $20 extra per month. Originally it was only for Android phones (and almost exclusivly 4G phones), but the older ones were still the regulat $35/$40 month.... (now ALL smartphones require the extra $$$)

I am with Verizon, and this is making me mad, i pay $102.78 for 450 minutes with unlimited texts and web,

now they want to limit my internet useage, if i go to renew my contract, we'll i might just get rid of verizon now, and go to a prepaid cell phone now, and be done with it.

This is just stupid and until people stop letting companies do what they want, they will not stop. so i am going to look and see how much it is to stop my contract.

I am not going to lay down and take this BULLSH**
You might want to read the link above, here's the link:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/2...-by-tiered-data-only-new-customers-and-lines/

While that's great news... enough to make me consider keeping Verizon and getting a new phone with them... I'm still thinking that it's a tad much to pay $110 a month for a family plan with only one android phone, one standard phone and two 300 texts plans.
And that's with the discount I get though work.

Even if virgin mobile is a tad slower speed wise no one can beat the current price they have for service. I don't care about who has the biggest network, who has the most coverage. everyone is about the same where I live. Now the 4G service is MUCH faster with Verizon then any other carrier currently. Still with people trying to save some cash nowadays you just can't argue with This from Virgin Mobile:
beyond_talk_header.jpg

And with the Motorola triumph that will soon be coming out on Virgin it's looking very nice to be contract-less :D

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/12/virgin-mobile-lets-android-run-blur-free-on-the-motorola-triumph/
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/virgin-mobile-welcomes-4-1-inch-motorola-triumph-brings-froyo-t/

i pay $102.78 for 1 android, no other phone, my grandfather has 2 phones and dont pay that much. its good service, but keeping my apt, and cable is more importation them my cell phone

Just remember that with virgin, your getting second tier sprint service --- sprint customers come first, so if the tower fills up, you get bumped down to 1xRTT speeds... (no joke happened to a friend, at rouhly 6:00 his speed fell and when he called to ask, he was told that sprint customers got priority) but if you can live with that, it looks like an awesome alternative

Good point Ashton. I don't use my phone THAT much to surf the web. So it won't be a huge deal breaker if the speeds drop. 1x is about twice the speed of dialup going by the wikipedia entry :eek:
I get 1x speeds often enough on my moto droid that I wouldn't be heart broken if I had to pay ~$60 less on two plans :)

The 1X standard supports packet data speeds of up to 153 kbps with real world data transmission averaging 60–100 kbps in most commercial applications.

Anyone know if these upcoming billing changes for Verizon apply to corporate accounts as well?

Good point Ashton. I don't use my phone THAT much to surf the web. So it won't be a huge deal breaker if the speeds drop. 1x is about twice the speed of dialup going by the wikipedia entry :eek:
I get 1x speeds often enough on my moto droid that I wouldn't be heart broken if I had to pay ~$60 less on two plans :)

If your not streaming video/music or looking at VERY image-heavy sites, you will barely notice the difference. Sites like [H] load quickly on 1xRTT or on EDGE (EDGE giving roughtly 10-20kbps more speed IRL but technically reaching ~200kbps iirc)

Anyone know if these upcoming billing changes for Verizon apply to corporate accounts as well?

In theory, all current accounts will remain unchanged. New accounts and possibly future renewals/upgrades are the ones with issues (so if your gonna upgrade do it ASAP, and if your 1 year in and want to stay VZW, you might consider renewing another year just in case they make renewals change to tiered plans in the future)

Virgin mobile FTW. Unlimited data and 300 minutes for $25 a month; that's only $5 more than most data plans cost.

I have my line, and I have my account, but I'm waiting for Galaxy S2 to get my smart phone and full data (I have a $10 data for a shitty phone with internet). Will I be able to get my Galaxy S2 on the same line and still get unlimited data???

I'm worried that Verizon will try to fuck you if the upgrade is from 3G to 4G

vzwdata1-20110622.jpg

I am disappoint.

I'm glad I'll be grandfathered for now, but the second they decided not to allow this and force me into a tiered plan, then I'm jumping ship. I might consider staying if they offered a $15/500MB plan for my wife to be on, but those prices are ridiculous. Their not competitive against anyone else out there at all. And I thought AT&T was bad. On July 7, Verizon will go from the best to worst carrier, IMO.

I have my line, and I have my account, but I'm waiting for Galaxy S2 to get my smart phone and full data (I have a $10 data for a shitty phone with internet). Will I be able to get my Galaxy S2 on the same line and still get unlimited data???

I'd ask a rep about that. It only sounds like if you have the unlimited data will you get to keep that. Your best option maybe to get a unlimited plan before the 7th, and hope to God that the Galaxy comes out within 30 days of that,

I don't know that it's fair to say best to worst because of a change in data plans. Is it outrageous pricing? I believe so, but then again the speed at which they are deploying LTE is outrageous. There's a real cost to that sort of network expansion. I'd like to see pricing that's more in line with AT&T at the 2GB range. Verizon knows that their customer base is dependent on the network and most will see the $5 as annoying but not annoying enough to change carriers.
Overall I believe tiered data is the wrong direction. As more services move online tiered data chokes many of them. Streaming one movie over LTE will kill the monthly data allowance. What's the point in having a 4g phone if you can't stream a ton of video, music, or take advantage of many other online services? It's pointless to have that kind of speed.

I'd ask a rep about that. It only sounds like if you have the unlimited data will you get to keep that. Your best option maybe to get a unlimited plan before the 7th, and hope to God that the Galaxy comes out within 30 days of that,

Actually, it's within 14 days of purchase. The return/exchange policy was changed a while back for Verizon customers. I believe it was right before the iPhone release.

Whelp, if that's Big Red's idea of Teired Data plans, I guess I'm cancelling and switching to either Virgin or ATT.

Moment the EFT clears out (September) I'm done. I need a new phone, I would like a smartphone (particularly an iPhone for /lazy reasons (import from an iPod Touch)), but under no circumstances am I going to pay $30/mo for a service I do not want, nor need.

Congratz Verizon, you just lost a 10+ year customer with 3 lines. I hope it was worth it for you.

Yeah its 14 days but you will still pay a restock fee and connection fees so its not completely risk free. I'm glad it looks like unlimited contracts will be honored even for renewals and upgrades. For you guys getting all bent, take a look at the Droidlife article complete with VZW employee provided screenshots saying you get to keep unlimited if you already have it.

Reps are now saying when you upgrade after 7/7 from 3G to 4G, you get to keep your unlimited data. Argh what to do... should I return my unopened Charge and get my upgrade back?

Reps are now saying when you upgrade after 7/7 from 3G to 4G, you get to keep your unlimited data. Argh what to do... should I return my unopened Charge and get my upgrade back?

Well if its true that existing customers get to keep unlimited data, even when upgrading and renewing, and also get to keep it when going from a 3G device to 4G device....this is a non-issue for almost anyone.....amazing how this thread went from mega bad major news to no big deal...LOL

No, your current plan is a feature phone plan. You will need to acquire a smart phone so you can replace your current $10 feature phone data plan with a $30 smart phone data plan. Only then will you get grandfathered into the unlimited plan after the tiered pricing takes affect on the 7th of July.

Actually, it's within 14 days of purchase. The return/exchange policy was changed a while back for Verizon customers. I believe it was right before the iPhone release.

Yeah its 14 days but you will still pay a restock fee and connection fees so its not completely risk free. I'm glad it looks like unlimited contracts will be honored even for renewals and upgrades. For you guys getting all bent, take a look at the Droidlife article complete with VZW employee provided screenshots saying you get to keep unlimited if you already have it.

Correct for both of you. Last time I was at Verizon looking at the Xperia Play, the rep told me it costs $50 to switch phones within the 14 days. That is the re-stock fee. They said there is a caveat though; if there's something wrong with design of the phone that interferes with your service (say reception sucks compared to your previous phone), then they will waive the restock fee and replace it with a different model if they're feeling generous enough. This seemed dependent on how nice the rep/manager, but this came directly from a rep I talked to at the store.

Whelp, if that's Big Red's idea of Teired Data plans, I guess I'm cancelling and switching to either Virgin or ATT.

Moment the EFT clears out (September) I'm done. I need a new phone, I would like a smartphone (particularly an iPhone for /lazy reasons (import from an iPod Touch)), but under no circumstances am I going to pay $30/mo for a service I do not want, nor need.

Congratz Verizon, you just lost a 10+ year customer with 3 lines. I hope it was worth it for you.

Wow, I've been with them for almost 7 years and even though I don't feel these new plans/prices are fair, I'm not going to leave them until they force them on me, which doesn't seem like they will as of right now. They can't change it mid-contract, so if they ever try to push the new plans on me when I'm due for re-newel, then I'll be right there with you. So are you just taking some sort or moral ground by not re-upping with them?

I don't think that's an option. You should be able to exchange the phone for another one for the $50 re-stock fee, but I don't think they'll be able to put your upgrade back on your account even after paying the re-stock fee. I'm not 100% on that though, it just seems logical.

Well if its true that existing customers get to keep unlimited data, even when upgrading and renewing, and also get to keep it when going from a 3G device to 4G device....this is a non-issue for almost anyone.....amazing how this thread went from mega bad major news to no big deal...LOL

Hah, yeah, it's a non-issue for me right now. But I still see it as a big deal even though it doesn't affect me directly (as of right now). Now I'll have to worry about Verizon trying to screw me every time I go for an upgrade or contract re-newel. Even thoughh they're putting statements out now that say otherwise, who knows if some retarded Verizon rep that's still in high school will screw up my contract in the future and kill my grandfathered unlimited plan making it impossible for them to re-instate it. Also, they could just decide to not honor the grandfathered plans at any time in the next few years, forcing everyone onto the new tiered pricing plans.

Best case scenario is that this kills Verizons new subscriber numbers and at least forces them to adjust the new schemes to be a little bit more competitive with other carriers. I see no reason why anyone would pick Verizon over another carrier with these new plans. Esp. when you can go to Sprint and roam on Verizons network excluding 3G/4G bands.

Wow, I've been with them for almost 7 years and even though I don't feel these new plans/prices are fair, I'm not going to leave them until they force them on me, which doesn't seem like they will as of right now. They can't change it mid-contract, so if they ever try to push the new plans on me when I'm due for re-newel, then I'll be right there with you. So are you just taking some sort or moral ground by not re-upping with them?

Basically, my current phone is dying. It's one of the few non-Data Plan required World Phones Verizon ever made, and it's probably the only one that's of any decent quality. Now I don't 'need' a World Phone, but it's handy. No, the problem for me, is the 'non-smartphone' selection is absolute shit. I don't see a single phone I like.

I was hoping they would come up with a $10-$15/mo limited data plan (250mb or 500mb), but instead they took a lesson from ATT and from retarded marketers, and basically upped the price while downgrading the features. Basically making an unattractive solution, even worse.

For my purposes, T-Mobile or Virgin Mobile will work just fine, will cost less, and I can tell Verizon to kiss my ass, the only way a customer truly can.

Basically, my current phone is dying. It's one of the few non-Data Plan required World Phones Verizon ever made, and it's probably the only one that's of any decent quality. Now I don't 'need' a World Phone, but it's handy. No, the problem for me, is the 'non-smartphone' selection is absolute shit. I don't see a single phone I like.

I was hoping they would come up with a $10-$15/mo limited data plan (250mb or 500mb), but instead they took a lesson from ATT and from retarded marketers, and basically upped the price while downgrading the features. Basically making an unattractive solution, even worse.

For my purposes, T-Mobile or Virgin Mobile will work just fine, will cost less, and I can tell Verizon to kiss my ass, the only way a customer truly can.

Why not switch to Sprint? They are rumored to be getting the iPhone and are much better than AT&T.

Yeah, that makes sense for you then. When I was just in there the other day, I didn't see any feature phones that even looked as good as my 4 year old LG Voyager (what I had before my Droid) or the EnV Touch (both of which had the best/biggest keyboards EVAR). Since the Droid phones launched, it seems that they are putting most of their effort into their smart phone line-up. Smart phones are taking over, which is why they're taking advantage of us with these new plans and pricing.

Why not switch to Sprint? They are rumored to be getting the iPhone and are much better than AT&T.

Did you not read his post? He's not interested in a smart phone and he could be paying much less with a feature phone anywhere besides the big carriers (including Sprint).

Tard,

You need to chill man. Its a cellphone. Not the end of the world no matter how it turns out. You are waaayyyyy too wordy and upset over something that hasn't even actually happened yet. Chill.man. life is way too short to be this upset over a cellphone. There is life without technology. Do us all a favor and go find it.

Tard,

You need to chill man. Its a cellphone. Not the end of the world no matter how it turns out. You are waaayyyyy too wordy and upset over something that hasn't even actually happened yet. Chill.man. life is way too short to be this upset over a cellphone. There is life without technology. Do us all a favor and go find it.

LOL, thanks brah. You just changed my life in such an unimaginable way, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to repay you.

I'm sorry that, while my wife has the kids over their grandparents for the afternoon (my life outside tech), I was on here contributing to this thread. I'll be sure to not post on here anymore for fear of it consuming my life. ;)

You could use Page Plus. You can use almost any Verizon phone, the prices are much cheaper, but they only have 100mb data. You can buy more if you need it.

LOL, thanks brah. You just changed my life in such an unimaginable way, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to repay you.

I'm sorry that, while my wife has the kids over their grandparents for the afternoon (my life outside tech), I was on here contributing to this thread. I'll be sure to not post on here anymore for fear of it consuming my life. ;)

Hahaha I hear ya. You looked out of control though. You're really vested in a topic when you multiquote and get all bent over something that hasn't happened yet. Just trying to talk you down from the edge. Lol

Hahaha I hear ya. You looked out of control though. You're really vested in a topic when you multiquote and get all bent over something that hasn't happened yet. Just trying to talk you down from the edge. Lol

Hah, s'all good. Yeah, I was just board at the moment. I'm actually not upset about it at all since it's not even affecting me anytime soon. I was just trying to help others not freak out about it too, but I guess it made me seem more heated about it than I anticipated :D.

Hah, s'all good. Yeah, I was just board at the moment. I'm actually not upset about it at all since it's not even affecting me anytime soon. I was just trying to help others not freak out about it too, but I guess it made me seem more heated about it than I anticipated :D.

I completely understand. It's been more than twice I have garnered the same reaction after getting way excited about something. LOL

Well, i talked to a rep again, I'm returning the phone to amazon so there's no restocking fee and i keep my upgrade because the phone was never activated. All the news are coming out midshipment so luckily i knew before being able to open the box.

I have a feature phone, can I activate the $30 unlimited data plan on it now and just keep using my feature phone?

I just tried adding the data plan to my feature phone on verizon wireless.com and it worked?

I just tried adding the data plan to my feature phone on verizon wireless.com and it worked?

Their policy changed a while back....used to be a feature phone did not require a data plan at all. I bought a LG EnV Touch when it came out and at the time you didn't need a data plan. Later on when I added two lines they tried to force me into a $10 data plan on that line, which I refused, so they "grandfathered" me into a new contract under the old no data terms but said if I ever change that lines features it would require a data plan of "at least $10". They don't seem to limit that though and I believe you can get unlimited data on a feature phone but I think it is under a different SKU in their system. The typical unlimited data is specifically labeled for Blackberry or Smartphone. It could be there's a unlimited feature phone only data plan that's $30 but is under a different billing code. This way when you try to move that line to a smartphone it's actually changing the plan features even though it's still an unlimited data for $30 feature. Just speculation.

So is there any way to use an unlocked phone on Virgin or do you have to use one of their phones?

edit: I found on VM's site that you have to use one of their phones. New question: I'm currently on an original Droid (i.e. 3G speeds), if I buy a LTE/4G phone off contract will I still be able to use my unlimited data plan at 4G speeds?

Last edited:
Back