Verizon Unlimited Data to end on 7/7

Greenstuffs

Limp Gawd
so i've been looking around internet and seems like unlimited data is going to end on 7/7.
I guess if you want unlimited data better sign now on a LTE phone just to be safe.
I'm taking the droid charge just because it has the highest resell value...

I hope the replacement plans leak before then so I can decide which is better for me

Whenever you make big statement/claims like this, it's usually recommended to post links.

Not that those aren't credible sources that they got the information from, it's safe to keep this in your rumor bin for now. But if this is true, then I'm sure we'll hear something from more official sources in the next week or two. I'm going to be pissed if I have to choose between the three mediocre 4G phones that are available now. I really wanted to hold out til the GS2/Function (assuming it's even 4G). Hopefully some news about the Function will leak about this in the next few weeks so I can make the decision because if it's 4G, I'll go ahead and get a 4G phone for now so I can keep unlimited and trade it for a Function when it launches. If it's not 4G, I'll just wait for it like I was planning to anyways.

I really hope Verizon has at least around a 5 GB/$30 plan when they move to this because even though I rarely go over 2 GB, it's nice to not have to worry about it for when I do rely on it a lot. If they have something like that, then I don't really care about losing unlimited because I won't really be affected.

so i've been looking around internet and seems like unlimited data is going to end on 7/7.
I guess if you want unlimited data better sign now on a LTE phone just to be safe.
I'm taking the droid charge just because it has the highest resell value...

I'm seeing this as a trend. Truly Unlimited data is dieing (even on many non-phone connections) because people are now hooked on data and the phone companies are trying to cash in on this addiction.

AT&T - no unlimited plans
T-mobile - "unlimited" means 2gb of 3G then EDGE thereafter (dont know about 4G but would assume it follows this same pattern)
Verizon - 4GB non-phone, cap on phone pending (no hard facts - but I've seen lots of VZW reps saying "we will be changing plans over the summer" what this means has never been fully explained)
Sprint - 4-5gb non-phone, Phone still unlimited (including 4G)

If your planning to jump ship from VZW, your only option is Sprint (who is possibly going to take all data consumption from the other carriers and bog like ATT did with iPhone) Otherwise, I'd recommend grabbing an unlimited data option while you can. As you see from the list, It's likely only a matter of time before all new data plans are pay-per-byte (or per GB)

Also keep in mind that there are rumors that even if "unlimited" stays, there will be a soft-cap instituted past which you will get a warning or three, then "excessive usage charges" just like on modem devices (though this could be just confusion with the modem plans).

Also keep in mind that all carriers use one of the 4 above networks, so if you go with someone outside the "big 4" your still going to be hit with the above rules (or worse ones)

I'd personally like to have unlimited data... sooo, I may have to upgrade my OG Droid before the tiered plans start up.

That said, I can't help but wonder how much each tiered plan will be and what the details of each plan is.

The good thing is about Sprint getting a ton of data customers? They have more spectrum than all the other companies combined, with nobody to use it. More customers = more money for network upgrades = bigger backhaul = taking advantage of the bandwidth they have. Wins all around.

3G for verizon will probably remain unlimited (i'm guessing) and it will just be 4G that is limited. If this is true, at least you can switch to 3G after you reach your cap (or when you dont need the 4g speed), so it's not that bad.

ETA: 7/7 is the date that the free LTE hotspot plan was extended to, nothing else about that date has been announced, but the rumor/speculation mill has gone crazy over it. It's most likely being extended because they have been expanding the markets for LTE and nothing more.

Last edited:
Verizon will hold off any new LTE phones until the tiered plans are official. I won't have LTE where I am till late next year but am considering getting a Charge just for the lockdown. Closest LTE tower to me is about 70 miles away.

Tark

Virgin gives you 10GB per month before they start throttling you.

Oh, and it's $25/month, with free texting. Only 300 minutes, but there are various ways to get around that.

Oh, and it's $25/month, with free texting. Only 300 minutes, but there are various ways to get around that.
Which is why I'm also considering them. The Motorola triumph could not come sooner! :cool:

Ya know why you get 10gb? who do you think Virgin uses? Sprint.

As for minutes, do what I did, install Skype and pay $3/month (or less per quarter/year) and get unlimited minutes at the expense of your data (unless your on wifi, then it's 100% free)

Verizon will hold off any new LTE phones until the tiered plans are official. I won't have LTE where I am till late next year but am considering getting a Charge just for the lockdown. Closest LTE tower to me is about 70 miles away.

So then I guess the iPhone 4GS wont be LTE...? (anyone heard anything about this?)

Ya know why you get 10gb? who do you think Virgin uses? Sprint.

As for minutes, do what I did, install Skype and pay $3/month (or less per quarter/year) and get unlimited minutes at the expense of your data (unless your on wifi, then it's 100% free)

So then I guess the iPhone 4GS wont be LTE...? (anyone heard anything about this?)

Most likely won't be LTE since Qualcomm hasnt finished their new chipset yet

Its already rumored the next iPhone will not be LTE at all. Wouldn't surprise me..

As for the data plans I welcome a cheaper option as I've been told there is only one data plan for smart phones (3G kind) for 5GB monthly limit but likes $30 , I don't use anywhere close to that limit so I would love to drop to something like 1GB for half that price.

I'm still going to hold onto my unlimited ATT 3G and never let go heh.

That's what I always thought, then I looked at my usage and found that I never, ever used more than 2Gb. Neither does my wife. Now we save $50/month and still use as much data as we want. Of course, we don't stream movies, so that may reduce out useage a lot.

That's what I always thought, then I looked at my usage and found that I never, ever used more than 2Gb. Neither does my wife. Now we save $50/month and still use as much data as we want. Of course, we don't stream movies, so that may reduce out useage a lot.

Yeah, while I don't stream video (yet) I use Pandora all the time at work and easily use 10GB a month from that alone.

How much data does using your smartphone as a GPS typically consume? Say a couple hour road trip?

How much data does using your smartphone as a GPS typically consume? Say a couple hour road trip?

Thats what I'd be interested in. Frequent GPS use and some pandora and email, is what I'd picture using a smartphone for if I had one. I am still on my VX8300 from 5 yrs ago, lol.

This makes me glad I have a TBolt and unlimited 4G LTE.

However, their plans are fucking crazy bad. My wife doesn't need 2GB, much less 2GB @ $30. Go fuck yourself Verizon!

This money grab is bullshit and riding its coat tails as an excuse to push this on us is the banning of tethering apps and locking of bootloaders. This is one of the few times where I wish the government would step in and get this bullshit under control.

If they shifted those prices over a bit, say 5gb for $30 I'd be happy as a clam. Hell, even 4gb. Make 2Gb maybe 15, 20 bucks. But those prices...bullshit. The fact that they offer nothing below $30 is asinine.

Which is why I'm also considering them. The Motorola triumph could not come sooner! :cool:

End of July, baby!

Don't get me wrong - I really like the Optimus V, but it does have its limitations ..

If they shifted those prices over a bit, say 5gb for $30 I'd be happy as a clam. Hell, even 4gb. Make 2Gb maybe 15, 20 bucks. But those prices...bullshit. The fact that they offer nothing below $30 is asinine.

5GB for $30 would appease me somewhat. However, it is pure bullshit there's no 500MB for $15/mo and no unlimited option for say $50. I'm sorry but why give me a phone that gets 25mbps down and then cap me when I used the phone to do whatever it is capable of doing?

5GB for $30 would appease me somewhat. However, it is pure bullshit there's no 500MB for $15/mo and no unlimited option for say $50. I'm sorry but why give me a phone that gets 25mbps down and then cap me when I used the phone to do whatever it is capable of doing?

Big corporations who want to bend their customers over and rail them and their wallet?

Is the US the only country that gets screwed this hard for mobile service? I'm curious what it's like across the oceans on how much they gotta pay for data.

Doh. Good call on the rumor, OP.

...I do not like these new pricing schemes. There isn't even one lower tier? Come one. All verizon has done here is essentially raise the prices...

Makes me glad that I bought the ThunderBolt on launch day. Verizon needs to just leave unlimited alone and keep up their network instead of imposing data caps.

Sprints looking better than ever. And to all those who absolutely demand the best possible nationwide coverage for 4g/3g data like verizon provides, quit your bitchin and grab your ankles like a good serf, where else are you going to go?

You sign off on these crap plans with your continued patronage, so I don't want to hear any complaints from those who cannot be bothered to adjust their coverage expectations to bring these plans to heel.

Side point with the mobile speeds and usage allowances. What the industry needs to do from this point on is stop with the speed increases beyond current lte levels 15-25mbps and focus more on coverage and bandwidth.

Those speeds are such that aside from near instant torrenting, you can access ANY kind of content you want with no delays, including hd video content.

On my clear hotspot I have seen it top out at 5.7 mbps, not the tripple that number people on verizons lte are getting, and you know what functional difference it makes not having the even greater download speed? no god damn difference, the only difference I would have is being rocketed to lowered caps faster, which is a garbage scenario.

The speed goal beyond a certain threshold is worthless for consumers, increased coverage and bandwidth is where it is at, and verizon is going in the OPPOSITE direction on bandwidth. Garbage direction for consumers, and there are too many who refuse to punish them for it.

Increased speed and coverage with no increased bandwidth = what's the fucking point beyond being bilked for more money with no increased value.

EDIT:

last aside, for now.

On the consumer side, with ever increasing desire for ever more complex and expensive phones, something has to give, subsidies have likely increased faster than data rates until this most recent move so here is a thought for more value oriented carriers and consumers to cope. The less you have the carrier subsidize your phone, the lower your rates.

I am looking at the Samsung GS II variant for sprint god willing it gets there, if they decided to charge me 300-350 for the phone instead of the standard 200-250, that would be OK depending on how much lower the rates were.

Last edited:
I've been getting unlimited internet for about $2.50/mo from Page Plus for a couple years now. Speed is (obviously?) slow since it's over QNC, but for the money it's the best deal for data access.

No wonder Verizon is not saying a word about the ATT/T-Mobile merger. With only two companies owning 80% of the market, they are free to demand $30 for 2GB of data and proclaim how amazing tiered plans are for consumers!

I really doubt those prices/plans are accurate. Verizon will have to have a cheaper ~$15 plan (like they had for a short period at the beginning of the year) in order to stay competitive with AT&T. Don't get all riled up until at least Verizon announces it..

I agree wholeheartedly.

I somewhat doubt these are the actual prices, but I guess we'll all find out.

Fuck you Verizon. You may have good customer service and a great network... but this is fucking uncalled for. I hope I can get my new phone before this, more than likely around July 4th (hopefully online places will have sales... or is that wishful thinking?).

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/20/verizon-tiered-data-plans-coming-july-7-starting-at-30/

This better not be the real pricing schemes. $30 for 2gb? $50 for 5? That would be fucking absurd.
If that's true I'll be leaving as soon as this plan hits the fan just to show how I feel. I will not give my hard earned money to a company that in these tough times gouges it's customers that deep.

End of July, baby!

Don't get me wrong - I really like the Optimus V, but it does have its limitations ..
I CAN'T WAIT :D:cool:

No wonder Verizon is not saying a word about the ATT/T-Mobile merger. With only two companies owning 80% of the market, they are free to demand $30 for 2GB of data and proclaim how amazing tiered plans are for consumers!
So much for the consumer. Makes me wonder if big brother will step in and split these companies up like the did the big "Bell" telco decades ago...

Back