Verizon to Start Streaming NFL Games to All Mobile Phones Regardless of Carrier

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The NFL and Verizon announced today that they have entered into an agreement where Verizon will now be offering their NFL streaming plan to all mobile customers. This means that no matter what company you are using for mobile service you will now be able to get the games you missed before. Not a bad deal if the price is right. I know some don't care about the NFL anymore, but there are still plenty that do and this is a good step forward for those that like to watch the games on the go.

In addition to the expanded availability of live games, the new agreement will provide fans mobile access to NFL highlights, coverage of NFL throughout the week and year, and a robust set of jointly-developed original content. With Verizon and Oath’s lead in U.S. monthly mobile millennial reach and more than 200 million U.S. monthly unique mobile digital views, NFL content will reach a massive digital audience.

Seems like the NFL is getting desperate for viewers

I didn't realise how bad the last couple of years had been for the NFL. They've even been stagnant at best for a long time as well.

That's not the trend of a great and growing business.

As a ferner, we always assume the NFL is the model of how to run a sports business. Of course, none of us watch it...

Seems like there are some incorrect assumptions posted here. I'm pretty sure the NFL's yearly profits have grown every year this century and that it's near or at the top in revenue in all professional sports.

I didn't realise how bad the last couple of years had been for the NFL. They've even been stagnant at best for a long time as well.

That's not the trend of a great and growing business.

As a ferner, we always assume the NFL is the model of how to run a sports business. Of course, none of us watch it...
Stagnation is fine when you are at the top of market. Even with declining viewership due to whatever may be the cause (over-saturation, kneeling, the HORRIBLE catch rule) they still are king of the hill. In business a 10% decline when your profits are 100% the competition is not a terrible thing!

Seems like more and more commercials these days, every change of possession is now a commercial time out, so if you shitty teams that can't move the ball be prepared for a 3.5+hour game. Now the networks are doing split screen on some replays or injuries like WTF I might actually want to hear what is going on!

Seems like more and more commercials these days, every change of possession is now a commercial time out, so if you shitty teams that can't move the ball be prepared for a 3.5+hour game. Now the networks are doing split screen on some replays or injuries like WTF I might actually want to hear what is going on!

Seriously.

It's gotten to the point where I'll watch a half, then say fuck it and check the box score after the game.

From what I have been able to find, viewership of NFL games is down year over year, but not as much as cable in general. I also found a few articles where the NFL is trying to reach the ever growing cable-cutters. I assume this is part of that effort.

Attendance on the other hand doesn't seem to budge. I looked at the attendance records going back to 2006 and the annual people that make it to games is always between 17 and 18 million. This year consistent as well (about 3.2% shy of last year at this time). I found this strange as I expected to see a drop in attendance during the 2008 to 2010 seasons when the recession was at its peak. No noticeable drop at any point. So ironically enough, I must conclude that attendance is not a good indicator of how well the NFL is doing.

Seems like there are some incorrect assumptions posted here. I'm pretty sure the NFL's yearly profits have grown every year this century and that it's near or at the top in revenue in all professional sports.

you're pretty sure or you're sure?

Viewership is down, that's not an assumption, thats a fact . I would expect the revenue to be going down soon also....and it seems Im not the only one...

http://www.businessinsider.com/sinking-nfl-viewership-is-threatening-to-crush-ad-sales-2017-12

I give zero fucks about football at any level (unless you are talking about soccer or Australian rules football, then I give 1 or 2 fucks).

a. Josh Gordon: kicked out of league I think 3x now for marijuana
b. Hundreds of NFL players in the same time span: 0-6 game suspension or less for abuse or violent arrests (usually domestic abuse)
c. whitehead cut from dallas this year for being caught stealing (ends up case of misidentity by the police, charges dropped it was the wrong guy)... they feel he didnt fit the culture but fought for an abuser instead (running back)
d. gay man drafted a few years ago was blackballed and out of the league before training camp was over.
e. concussions are cool, new helmets to prevent concussions are not.

between 2010-2014 the NFL emphasized "major growth" in the female viewer market, hence the push for breast cancer awareness, pink jerseys etc. The theory being you could increase viewership by 50% within a few years by getting more women to watch football. Then all of the crazy decisions about domestic abuse did not help.

I know a ton of people that only started boycotting the NFL when their team tanked (die hard packers fans), most of those people also think Trump is doing an amazing job though. Well all of them I have talked to so far at least.

NFL keeps making poor decisions.

e. concussions are cool, new helmets to prevent concussions are not.

They really nailed that one this weekend with the Tom Savage incident.

For those that didn't see it. He went into the fencing position (sign of a tramatic head impact) and was then cleared to RETURN TO PLAY. Wtf?

between 2010-2014 the NFL emphasized "major growth" in the female viewer market, hence the push for breast cancer awareness, pink jerseys etc. The theory being you could increase viewership by 50% within a few years by getting more women to watch football. Then all of the crazy decisions about domestic abuse did not help.

Wow, I never thought of those two things together. I wonder if they realized how badly they were botching their own efforts.

I bet this is a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing.

A lot of NFL income is from long term broadcast contracts that will bring in income even if stadium attendance goes to near zero. Any NFL broadcast income drop will happen when those contracts come up for renewal. ESPN income OTOH, is far more quick to respond to the cord cutters and drop in viewership. ESPN has been cutting sports employees from both the on and off screen departments.

you're pretty sure or you're sure?

Viewership is down, that's not an assumption, thats a fact . I would expect the revenue to be going down soon also....and it seems Im not the only one...

http://www.businessinsider.com/sinking-nfl-viewership-is-threatening-to-crush-ad-sales-2017-12

Profits are up, that's not an assumption, that's a fact. What people expect to happen may or may not happen. I can only go by what has/is actually happening in regard to their revenue.

For those that didn't see it. He went into the fencing position (sign of a tramatic head impact) and was then cleared to RETURN TO PLAY. Wtf?
Cleared by who, the coach? Do they actually have any doctors on the field that aren't on the nfl's payroll?

Damn that's bad and much expected from the NFL. About a month ago I remember Russell Wilson being "cleared" from a helmet to helmet hit on the sideline after pretty much walking into the concussion tent and walking right out. I also recall Giselle -Brady's wife- complaining about him having issues and returning to the games when he probably should not have. Pretty obvious the NFL doesn't give a shit.

Back when I cared to watch 49er games this would have been awesome to have on my phone but the NFL has become trash.

Back