Verizon To Be First To Field Test Crazy-Fast 5G Wireless

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It is possible that we see the successor to 4G as early as 2017, courtesy of Verizon. The carrier’s findings show that 5G should be 30 to 50 times faster than the current 4G network.

The nation's largest wireless carrier will begin field trials on so-called fifth-generation, or 5G, technology within the next 12 months, Roger Gurnani, chief information and technology architect for Verizon, said in an interview last week. He expects "some level of commercial deployment" to begin by 2017.

IMO the problem isn't raw speed, it's how the network is accessed, how it retrieves data, then ultimately how fast your phone can process it. With my LTE phone I can get 40+ Mbps, things should happy very quickly, but they don't, somehow I think more speed isn't going to make it go that much faster.

Speed does nothing without unlimited data....

Agreed!

I would like to have all the speed I can get for streaming movies and such. All the increased speed will do is cause me to hit my cap sooner. 10Gb doesn't last long enough as it is.

This.

What's the fucking point if you hit your dara cap in 5 seconds?

+1 to this.

F-ing Verizon. I know their network is supposed to be the best, but where I live-at my house- the network BLOWS! In fact in my area the Verizon network is riddled with dead spots where you will loose service. They have known about this for years - have been told about it - and they continue to do nothing. I get exactly 1 bar for radio signal at the house which is barely enough to make calls. It is so poor that my old S3 would often never even ring - calls just went straight to voicemail. The best data rate I can manage is 3G in spite of being shown as a 4G fringe reception area.

They have bigger fish to fry in my experience. How about strengthening the signal you CLAIM to have Verizon!?

Big deal, they aren't even delivering true 4g as it stands. Couple that with my pathetic data cap and I'm just not giddy with excitement.

Exactly. Even on current 4G, I can't think of anything that will actually utilize it's speed, as stuff such as HD streaming would quickly burn through my data quota.

And if what they call "5G" isn't just true LTE/4G... I get the feeling it's just so they can CDMA-ify their market share again by locking in with sim-less whitelisted phones.

im sure they will cancel the test once they remember that net neutrality would cause them to curtail spending and not innovate. ;)

Doesn't matter how fast you can connect to the tower when the tower is only connected back to the rest of the network with a t1 line.

I still have my unlimited data plan with VZW. They can pry that out of my cold, dead hands.
i did until last week when i left for 50% of what i was paying them. i felt like that was a bigger middle finger.

Maybe instead of focusing on the next speed tier, they should invest the 100's of billions of raw profit they've made in the past decade into increasing coverage and expanding bandwidth so laying customers can get the service and speed they're paying for...

I still have my unlimited data plan with VZW. They can pry that out of my cold, dead hands.

The move to "5G" might be the nail in that coffin though. If they throw me off, I'm switching to an MVNO.

im sure they will cancel the test once they remember that net neutrality would cause them to curtail spending and not innovate. ;)

Dumb comment. Just because you do something with a gun to your head doesn't mean everything's peaches.

4G would be plenty for me if the network wasn't so saturated half the time. I have 80% signal at work and it is slower than 56k sometimes because of saturation and interference.

4g lte feels like dial-up while driving. Unless you've got perfect signal, it's comparable to shitty dsl at best. You have got to be shitting me with these speed exclamations.

Bullshit marketing fluff like this and data caps are the reason I fled like a thief in the night and won't look back.

How long until it starts to go to shit? 3g started pretty good in my area and 2 years later I couldn't even steam Pandora. 4g has very blatantly declined in speed as well, though it at least is still passable.

Dumb comment. Just because you do something with a gun to your head doesn't mean everything's peaches.

please explain further oh wise one. who's head, who's holding the gun?

from your reply, all I can deduce is that they are spending trying to roll out 5g because they have some gun to their head, not because they will make money off new tech.

please explain further oh wise one. who's head, who's holding the gun?

from your reply, all I can deduce is that they are spending trying to roll out 5g because they have some gun to their head, not because they will make money off new tech.

and so this doesn't go over your head, my original comment was a sarcastic joking one of AT&T saying that they would have to rethink their investments into building out their infrastructure if net neutrality was passed.

The move to "5G" might be the nail in that coffin though. If they throw me off, I'm switching to an MVNO.

They've been threatening to take away unlimited every year since they stopped offering it as a contract plan. Nothing has happened. I'm not all that worried about it.

+1 to this.

F-ing Verizon. I know their network is supposed to be the best, but where I live-at my house- the network BLOWS! In fact in my area the Verizon network is riddled with dead spots where you will loose service. They have known about this for years - have been told about it - and they continue to do nothing. I get exactly 1 bar for radio signal at the house which is barely enough to make calls. It is so poor that my old S3 would often never even ring - calls just went straight to voicemail. The best data rate I can manage is 3G in spite of being shown as a 4G fringe reception area.

They have bigger fish to fry in my experience. How about strengthening the signal you CLAIM to have Verizon!?

Verizon does not have 4G. LTE is not 4G. What they call 5G is really 4G.

Me too, the effers still slow me down after hitting about 5 or 6 gigs though. I rarely go over that, but I couldn't even stream music a few times after hitting 5 Gigs...:mad:

The industry needs to ditch these "G" buzzterms. It doesn't describe anything in a meaningful way.

You're right and wrong. 4G has meaning, but what is marketed as 4G is not 4G. I believe Verizon is the closest to 4G in teh U.S., as it's my understanding that they have VOLTE (or at least some VOLTE). I don't think anyone else does.

They will not necessarily use it for speed but rather more bandwidth.

I get awesome speeds with 4G. I'm just afraid to use it. If I use it to check email or whatever, it goes over. So, I turned data off...

+1 to this.

Same way where I live.. yet I can go up the street and get great signal and I rely on mine to get called to work! I really should switch to straighttalk (AT&T).

I still have unlimited, and it would be hilarious to know how much data you could actually push through 5g 24/7.

If they ever decided to take it away, I'd go out with a bang, thats for sure.

I got rid of my old unlimited plan last week and went to cricket. I don't care about mobile speeds as long as YouTube works. Also fuck CDMA.

Back