Verizon to axe grandfathered unlimited data plans

As soon as my contract is up this year I'm switching. Tired of Verizon's BS.

Wow this sucks. But they've got me by the balls cause I do most of my web browsing on my phone. On it now actually. Oh well. Maybe its time to go back to Sprint.

"That is beneficial to us."

Wow. It's like they don't even try to spin it anymore. "This is what you're getting. Fuck you if you don't like it."

If this is true I hope it happens before November because then I'll leave Verizon with no ETF and go to T-Mobile who has better Android devices right now anyways.

Well they won't drop your unlimited in the middle of the contract, they are talking about moving you from unlimited to tiered when/if you re-up you contract. Since that's the case, you could stay on unlimited after your contract ends (just continue the plan off-contract and pay month to month) and buy your phones unsubsidized.

Also, it seems for now, with the way the statement is worded, that this will only apply to users upgrading from a 3G phone to a 4G phone. So maybe if you're already on a 4G phone/plan, then you can keep your unlimited data still.

I'm sure they will release another statement clarifying this after enough users and bloggers blow it out of the water. I hope it's enough to make them retract the statement like they did with the "additional fee when paying your bill in-store" situation that happened a few months back.

I'm willing to leave them after 8 years to go to Sprint or T-Mobile though. I love Verizons superior service and coverage, but there comes a point where you have to vote with your wallet.

As soon as my contract is up this year I'm switching. Tired of Verizon's BS.

QFT if this is true. First, no more NE2, then no more $5/250 text add ons, now $30 upgrade fees.

F'ing ridiculous how they've gotten so expensive and greedy. Sprint, your network better not suck because you're about to get a big influx of people if this holds true.

God I hope they release a new phone before this takes effect. Been holding out since January. Doubtful though, I'm sure they'll want to have this policy in effect, then release a new flagship phone to attract suckers.

If this is going to cancel grandfathered unlimited from 4G to 4G phone upgrades as well, then I'll have to grab the Nexus beforehand...

QFT if this is true. First, no more NE2, then no more $5/250 text add ons, now $30 upgrade fees.

F'ing ridiculous how they've gotten so expensive and greedy. Sprint, your network better not suck because you're about to get a big influx of people if this holds true.

If the WSJ report of Google selling a fleet of unlocked Nexus devices is true then T-Mobile has the most to win. Their pre-paid unlimited plans can't be beat in that case.

Any time this sort of thing comes out, I get amused by everyone bitching about it. Most people dont even come close to using their data cap so they get bent out of shape for nothing.

Also has verizon even come out with final numbers for this data share plans? Like 30 gets you how much data?

Any time this sort of thing comes out, I get amused by everyone bitching about it. Most people dont even come close to using their data cap so they get bent out of shape for nothing.

Also has verizon even come out with final numbers for this data share plans? Like 30 gets you how much data?

When a company continuously finds ways to screw you, then yes, you bitch and find a new provider if possible.

I'm sure it will be price-fixed to AT&T's offerings after they've colluded.

Exactly. What a coincidence that they both are rolling out shared data plans this summer and how closely priced their plans are.

If Verizon doesn't at least cut me a deal to migrate me from unlimited to one of the highest tiered plans for the same price, then I'm definitely moving to another carrier. Not sure what it is yet, but Sprint and T-Mobile have better service in my area than Verizon does, so I have no problem going with them. Better than that; I might just look at some pay-as-you-go carriers/plans in my area and get an unlocked high-end phone (next Nexus prolly) and use it as I see fit.

I like not needing to worry about things such as: Can I watch netflix or mlb.tv today, or will I go over my cap and it will cost me $xxx.

Some months I'll use a little over 2GB, sometimes 10GB+.

We all know Verizon is the most expensive provider. Basically, now they just have good coverage. They have no new phone selection, are late with most every phone release or don't carry it period, $30 activation fees, no early upgrades, texting plans now start at $10, and now we'll soon have tiered data plans.

Tiered would probably be cool for those that have like 4+ ppl on their plan, and only one uses a lot. I'm on my own, wtf do I get? 2GB? I'm already past that 8 days into the billing cycle lol.

I use every bit of my data so I damn sure will get "bent out of shape" when I get bent over by my carrier when they take something from me I'm paying for. Bottom line is Verizon can kiss my ass goodbye if they pull my unlimited data. I'll happily go to T-Mobile and get a Nexus device that actually gets updates unlike Verizon's Nexus.

If they kick my unlimited when I'm ready to upgrade I will cancel my plan right there. Their phones suck anyways.

If most people don't come close to data caps that means it costs Verizon nothing. So why are they doing this?

My unlimited data was the only thing tying me to Verizon. I was looking at getting a new phone since I'm getting tired of my Original Droid being dog shit slow from being choked on memory.

I told ATT to fuck themselves when they came out with their limited plans and I'm seriously thinking of telling verizon now to fuck themselves. They don't even bother to sugercoat this shit anymore, they came right out and said it "We can't add anymore new customers because every man, woman, child and dog has a smartphone now, to continue to make billions of dollars of a year we're going to just milk our existing users, fuck them!"

My contract is up in august, either i'll upgrade early and stay on for another 2 years with unlimited LTE or switch to spring or ATT/Tmobile reseller.

These telecommunications companies are all greedy; these bait and switch tactics are just the regular par for the course.. They know American's cannot LIVE life without their smartphones.. hell.. even the homeless have smartphones with data plans..

Verizon's unlimited data was the only thing that made me hesitate to leave them last month. Had I known this was coming I wouldn't have worried about the switch at all. Anybody that was holding out for Verizon to get a good Windows Phone can just leave for AT&T now.

What sucks is the fact that every person that doesn't even need a smartphone or use one for what their actually capable of needed to have an iPhone when all they really do is text on it. They ruined it for people who actually use a smartphone to organize themselves and for business. I don't understand why there parents are willing to spend 30 dollars a month extra on these kids. I see parents with like three kids that are like under 14 with iphones.

Last edited:
What US carrier provides true unlimited anymore? Is Sprint's plan really unlimited or do they do that cap and throttle stuff too?

I see parents with like three kids that are like under 14 with iphones.

I know people with 5 kids that pay $350+ per month in phone bills. I don't get it myself. When I was that age they're weren't any cells phones. And if there had been my parents would have said, "Get a job, buy your own".

That's ok I guess, although not when Verizon charges like $800 for a retail phone, when other carriers have it for $400.

Why would you get it from Verizon? You can get Verizon phones from other retailers or buy them used for considerably less too. I'm hoping that Google will sell a CDMA Nexus in the play store the next time around (doubtful, but I can hope).

What US carrier provides true unlimited anymore? Is Sprint's plan really unlimited or do they do that cap and throttle stuff too?

Sprint is the only carrier that is truly unlimited anymore. They don't throttle or any any "gotchas" on the plan. But until they get their LTE network deployed, you're going to have to live with sub-1Mb/sec speeds on their crappy 3G network if you want to use a newer phone or get a WiMax phone and have mediocre 4G that can't really penetrate buildings because the freq for it is so high.

T-Mobile has "unlimited" too, but I'm pretty sure that they throttle past 5 GBs. Pretty much all the no-contract carriers do the same thing as well, but have even lower caps.

I listen to pandora in the car to and from work via my Iphone. Every month they tell me I have exceeded the data limit just from that. I am grandfathered in, so they never charge me. It's the only thing worth a damn I get out of the data plan. The general web browsing is slower than 56k as I remember it. I just try to check stocks or get basic info now and then.

That and the great texting scam upset me quit a bit. I'm thinking about calling them up and telling them I got hit by a train so I can cancel without ETF.

ok I need advice from you [H] people. I'm currently on a iPhone 4 on vzw since launch day and grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. My contract was up recent fall so I'm able to upgrade anytime I want. My question is since what I've heard about VZW doing away of the unlimited data plan should I go ahead and get the 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus and lock myself in to unlimited data? I was originally planning to wait out for the newest iPhone that is "supposedly" slated to be released in fall. My wife is on a 2 gb plan and myself unlimited. I use my phone everywhere I go and my wife likes to tether from my iphone for work purposes. My only concern is if I upgrade and get Gnex and then Verizon forces me into a tiered plan which would be all for nothing.

ok I need advice from you [H] people. I'm currently on a iPhone 4 on vzw since launch day and grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. My contract was up recent fall so I'm able to upgrade anytime I want. My question is since what I've heard about VZW doing away of the unlimited data plan should I go ahead and get the 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus and lock myself in to unlimited data? I was originally planning to wait out for the newest iPhone that is "supposedly" slated to be released in fall. My wife is on a 2 gb plan and myself unlimited. I use my phone everywhere I go and my wife likes to tether from my iphone for work purposes. My only concern is if I upgrade and get Gnex and then Verizon forces me into a tiered plan which would be all for nothing.

They will allow you to upgrade your phone and keep your unlimited play until they implement these shared data plans some time this summer. So if you want to keep your unlimited data for the next couple years, then you will have to upgrade before they change to these new plans. So it's up to you to go ahead and upgrade or wait and see when this change will take affect. My guess is it will prolly be sometime late June or July, so maybe by then Verizon will have their Galaxy S III variant if you'd rather wait for that. Knowing Verizon though, they will prolly push off all major phone launches until after these new plans launch, forcing customers out of their unlimited plans if they want to upgrade their phones at subsidized prices.

After they implement these new shared data plans, the only way for you to upgrade your phone and stay on unlimited data is to buy your new phone(s) off-contract at full retail prices. You can still keep your account and service with Verizon after your contract expires and just pay month to month (see here for more info on that).

The change hasn't happened yet. You can upgrade your unlimited 3g to 4g (I'm also doing this, but going with the drmaxx). There was a clarification posted earlier yesterday stating they would give a date on when things would change so you have until then. You probably wont make it to the new iphone launch and if you do want to buy it will have to pay full price for it.

I had AT&T and switched to Verizon figuring AT&T had to be awful. I ended up paying $260 for the privilege of switching back to AT&T and I don't regret a bit of it.

These guys are the worst.

i have t mobile and i wish i had verizon lol...... since we have like 3 phones total to choose from.

Thus why for T-Mobile you get an unlocked device that can handle the frequency T-Mo uses. Galaxy Nexus for example. ;) Right now it's honestly tempting to get a Galaxy Nexus straight from Google for $400, drop it on T-Mobile with a pre-paid plan and then sell the Galaxy Nexus after the next Nexus device comes out and upgrade to that Nexus. If Verizon gives me a way to do that I may just do it.

As for lack of phones you have the true One S is a nice phone as is the SGS2. Right now Verizon is lagging badly on Android devices. Plus their support of the Galaxy Nexus has made the Nexus on Verizon no better then any other Android device when it comes to software updates which defeats the purpose of a Nexus.

Are any devices on Verizon even officially running ICS other than the GNex? I can't think of any.

I am happy to know I can just buy a phone off contract and keep my unlimited LTE but do I really want to keep giving Verizon money after they fuck us all over? Not really. I will vote with my wallet.

Sprint really needs to get the ball rolling on LTE! They could pull so many customers away from Verizon if they'd stop this whole "betting it all on iPhone" bullshit and spent that money on their network upgrades!

ugh, this is just infuriating. I wanted to hold out for new devices and then this bombshell just throws a monkey wrench into my plans. My gut reaction is to go buy a GNex and upgrade to LTE before the changeover so I can keep the grandfathered plan, but that feels like rewarding them for screwing me over yet again. Not like I really have many options, my parents are locked into long-term contracts on VZW for multiple lines on a family share, so I may as well re-up on their plan (out of the house but still on their plan and paying the line-fee). Switching to any other carrier out of principle gets me a downgrade in plan regardless plus an increase in costs due to being the primary line.

ugh, this is just infuriating. I wanted to hold out for new devices and then this bombshell just throws a monkey wrench into my plans. My gut reaction is to go buy a GNex and upgrade to LTE before the changeover so I can keep the grandfathered plan, but that feels like rewarding them for screwing me over yet again. Not like I really have many options, my parents are locked into long-term contracts on VZW for multiple lines on a family share, so I may as well re-up on their plan (out of the house but still on their plan and paying the line-fee). Switching to any other carrier out of principle gets me a downgrade in plan regardless plus an increase in costs due to being the primary line.

Yeah. Last night I realized that Verizon probably renewed the family plan I'm on with my wife when she upgraded to a RAZR three weeks ago.

In the end I'd rather stay with Verizon so i can just start buying phones off contract but like you said that feels like rewarding them for fucking me over. A GNex with a prepaid T-Mobile is awfully tempting.

Yeah. Last night I realized that Verizon probably renewed the family plan I'm on with my wife when she upgraded to a RAZR three weeks ago.

In the end I'd rather stay with Verizon so i can just start buying phones off contract but like you said that feels like rewarding them for fucking me over. A GNex with a prepaid T-Mobile is awfully tempting.

Are you still scooting by on that Thunderbolt? :p

I would go ahead and upgrade to the Gnex or something and ride out your last contract on unlimited data, esp since you already have to wait another 2 years for your wife's line to expire. I wouldn't be able to get by on the GSM Nexus with only 16 GBs of internal storage and no expandable memory, I'm using about that much on my Verizon Gnex just in backups and stuff from switching ROMs.

I'm hoping that by the time my contracts expire (Dec. 2013 for me and March 2014 for my wife), Google will be selling CDMA Nexus phones unsubsidized in the Play store. Until there's another carrier that has as good as service as Verizon, I'm going to stick it out with them for as long as I can with unlimited data. I doubt I would save much even going to T-Mobile right now. I only pay $130/month for 1400 mins (plus 10 numbers of my choice on the MyCircle thing that are free to call anytime) and unlimited everything else for two smart phones. I have coworkers that are paying more than that on Sprint and AT&T for less service (2 GBs on AT&T and ~700 mins on Sprint).

Are you still scooting by on that Thunderbolt? :p

I would go ahead and upgrade to the Gnex or something and ride out your last contract on unlimited data, esp since you already have to wait another 2 years for your wife's line to expire. I wouldn't be able to get by on the GSM Nexus with only 16 GBs of internal storage and no expandable memory, I'm using about that much on my Verizon Gnex just in backups and stuff from switching ROMs.

I'm hoping that by the time my contracts expire (Dec. 2013 for me and March 2014 for my wife), Google will be selling CDMA Nexus phones unsubsidized in the Play store. Until there's another carrier that has as good as service as Verizon, I'm going to stick it out with them for as long as I can with unlimited data. I doubt I would save much even going to T-Mobile right now. I only pay $130/month for 1400 mins (plus 10 numbers of my choice on the MyCircle thing that are free to call anytime) and unlimited everything else for two smart phones. I have coworkers that are paying more than that on Sprint and AT&T for less service (2 GBs on AT&T and ~700 mins on Sprint).

Pretty good price.... If only that plan was still in existence.... but for now I pay $110/month unlimited everything on Sprint for 2 smartphones, 1700 minutes. Sprint is great but their data speed blows.... hoping their 4G LTE will help me stick around.... If not, I would HATE to pay BIG RED my money when they are offer so much less in data for ridiculous prices.... Last resort, switch back to dumb phones and pick up a good tablet for T-mobile's new no-contract plans for T-Mobile’s 4G tablets.

Last edited:
Back