Verizon Throttling Connection (Netflix, Youtube)

I am 99% sure that Verizon is throttling my connection when accessing Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Amazon Prime, etc...

I have run speedtest on 4 different servers and always get about the exact same speeds as below. Yet when streaming netflix I am at 480p quality. Quality is total shit on Netflix (See screenshot below).

Is there any way I can circumvent Verizon? I called them and they said that it was not their fault, the issue was with everyone else. Yea, Google doesn't have the bandwidth to support Youtube.. right.

Apparently 10.5 MB/s is not fast enough to stream an HD video, lol

3034054163.png

Screenshot

You can circumvent them sure... you have to subscribe to another isp.

Your bandwidth probably isnt the problem nor is vzw.

There might be true bandwidth issues with youtube...

The internet is growing in usage like a pandemic virus. Google probably just doesnt have enough bandwidth anymore without major upgrades.

I get buffering CONSTANTLY on youtube and netflix takes a few mins to optimize on their end sometimes while watching a movie.

I am on comcrap.

edit* also you are not getting 83mbps to google or youtube or netflix... you get that to your ISP. From your ISP's edge to the rest of world the fastest connection is going to be the slowest router.

Same thing with Time Warner, but there was just an article about youtube. A lot of times its the server google is using, its just cant handle the load. Unfortunately I don't think google is going to upgrade servers anytime soon. You might be in luck with Netflix, they are working on deal to have their app on set top boxes. If they can work out a deal with Cable companies then no more throttling

Same thing with Time Warner, but there was just an article about youtube. A lot of times its the server google is using, its just cant handle the load. Unfortunately I don't think google is going to upgrade servers anytime soon. You might be in luck with Netflix, they are working on deal to have their app on set top boxes. If they can work out a deal with Cable companies then no more throttling

With how fractured streaming media is today I would be amazed to see Netflix on set top boxes.

I'm still waiting for the perfect streaming service. Access to everything through one portal. No more bouncing between all the providers trying to find the movie/show you are looking for.

With how fractured streaming media is today I would be amazed to see Netflix on set top boxes.

I'm still waiting for the perfect streaming service. Access to everything through one portal. No more bouncing between all the providers trying to find the movie/show you are looking for.

YouTube has been shit for a long time, even here in Canada. Netflix is fast though, even using American servers.

YouTube has been shit for a long time, even here in Canada. Netflix is fast though, even using American servers.

I'm assuming you logged into your Netflix account and selected the highest quality video teir you have available?

EBzQB2u.jpg

I noticed same issue with my fios. usually in the evenings if i try to play HD youtube video it starts buffering. during the day its normal

Siliconnerd hit it on the head here.

Speaking as an ISP Network Engineer. It's very unlikely they are actually throttling the service. It's much more likely that the circuit that netflix/youtube rides is getting congested at peak times. Now, Verizon isn't really known for running transport at congestion. But it happens. Or you could be held hostage in a negotiation period. Where Netflix is starting to fill whatever circuit they are riding. And Verizon is trying to get them to start paying for transit.

It could also just be poor peering. But I figure if you're hung off AS701 that's not the issue. As they hold a strong peering relationship with both AS3356 (Level 3, Which last I checked, Delivered Netflix) and AS15169 (Google)

Hahaha. Yeah. happens all the time..

With that said. Let me see if I can rephrase that.

Dem there tubes be filled 'bout mid day. Netflix is gonna pay for usin' it all.

Not sure about YouTube, but for some reason I was hitting Netflix's CDN at the other side of the country. Even with a 30/5 connection I was stuck at the lowest bitrate Netflix offers. Thankfully that is no longer the case.

You can check your speed history on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/my_speed I doubt Verizon is actively throttling and there is more a lack of sufficient peering between Verizon and Netflix/Amazon/Youtube.

Siliconnerd hit it on the head here.

Speaking as an ISP Network Engineer. It's very unlikely they are actually throttling the service. It's much more likely that the circuit that netflix/youtube rides is getting congested at peak times. Now, Verizon isn't really known for running transport at congestion. But it happens. Or you could be held hostage in a negotiation period. Where Netflix is starting to fill whatever circuit they are riding. And Verizon is trying to get them to start paying for transit.

It could also just be poor peering. But I figure if you're hung off AS701 that's not the issue. As they hold a strong peering relationship with both AS3356 (Level 3, Which last I checked, Delivered Netflix) and AS15169 (Google)

These two have pretty much summed up the issue in it's entirety. The YouTube /Netflix /Prime throughput issue has been hashed and rehashed on many forums including Verizon's own support forums. The bottom line is it's a peering issue. The congestion is one way "downstream" and therein lies the dispute. As long as Cogent, Google, Netflix or whoever else don't want to pay to add ports it's unlikely that thing will change anytime soon. There isn't any throttling on Fios period, we do however have some traffic shaping in place for VOD.

Back