Verizon: should I buy G4 retail or sign contract?

biggles

2[H]4U
I get a $15 per month discount off contract with my LG G2. I want to upgrade to the LG G4.

If I buy the G4 retail, it would cost $550. If I buy the subsidized G4 and sign a contract it would cost $200 but I would lose the $15 discount for 24 months. $15 x 24 = $360. $360 + $200 = $560. So the two options appear to cost almost the same.

Which would be the smarter choice?

Okay, but is my analysis missing any key info? For instance, I believe there is a $40 activation fee on signing a contract. Is the same fee charged for a non-contract phone? If not, that would make the contract option $600 total cost vs $550 non-contract. Any other considerations worth mentioning?

All major cell phone companies are pulling this shit to screw over customers. There's no way for a customer to get an enticing deal on a phone AND service anymore. It's just one or the other (or neither).

May as well just buy it outright and tell them they can fuck off with any of their contracts.

you could also consider EDGE...

EDGE would give you the same monthly discount... it takes that $550 retail price and splits it by 24 = $22.91... you pay that amount every month on top of your bill, instead of buying the device outright

EDGE is just an equipment financing plan as you can see. there's still a "contract" component (for the phone), but you can always pay off the device at any time. you will pay exactly the same as the retail price at the end, no matter what you do

Yeah I would go with EDGE and see if they can bump that discount up, they might be able to go as high knocking 25 bucks off per month if you have the more everything plan, at that point your actually saving a few bucks.

I am heading over to Verizon this weekend to pickup a S6 and most likely going to EDGE as I can knock 25 bucks off per month, and finance the phone out over 2 years @ 0%,

Yeah I would go with EDGE and see if they can bump that discount up, they might be able to go as high knocking 25 bucks off per month if you have the more everything plan, at that point your actually saving a few bucks.

I am heading over to Verizon this weekend to pickup a S6 and most likely going to EDGE as I can knock 25 bucks off per month, and finance the phone out over 2 years @ 0%,

You get $25 the $40 per device charges if you have the 6GB or more data plan. Anything less than 6GB, you get $15 off.

Also be warned that a lot of Edge users are having hardware issues where the screen will get stuck in either portrait or landscape. If you get one of these you'll have to exchange until you get a good one or ship it to Samsung for repair. I'd read that Samsung was shipping phones with the fix already implemented but there's no way to know what you're getting when you buy one. Good luck!

Also be warned that a lot of Edge users are having hardware issues where the screen will get stuck in either portrait or landscape.

I returned my Verizon S6 Edge for this reason. Hope they get it worked out. Great phone otherwise.

edit: wrong thread :eek:

You get $25 the $40 per device charges if you have the 6GB or more data plan. Anything less than 6GB, you get $15 off.

Also be warned that a lot of Edge users are having hardware issues where the screen will get stuck in either portrait or landscape. If you get one of these you'll have to exchange until you get a good one or ship it to Samsung for repair. I'd read that Samsung was shipping phones with the fix already implemented but there's no way to know what you're getting when you buy one. Good luck!

You realize the EDGE being talked about is Verizon Edge program, not the Samsung S6 Edge, right? OP is looking at a G4.

You realize the EDGE being talked about is Verizon Edge program, not the Samsung S6 Edge, right? OP is looking at a G4.

Well, I see it now that I go back and look at it again. Mea culpa for the derp. I've spent far too much time reading about phones and carriers the last two weeks. :eek:

Back