Verizon Share Everything is going live June 28th

LTE uses a SIM. So you need it for LTE data to work.
...and CDMA

In LTE phones, the SIM is needed to authenticate the phone on VZW's network. If you don't have a SIM, the phone is a brick and won't receive any signal. They switched from the archaic *228(?) authentication system to this new one.

So I'm getting screwed. Looks like it's time to tell Verizon to fuck off.

Spent an hour with them on the phone yesterday. Honestly they don't give a shit if people leave especially if you're a heavy data user. For every heavy user that leaves they get 5 new subscribers that use next to no data.

After my phone call I was given these options in regards to my upgrade in November:

1. I move myself to a tiered plan. My average usage would require at least the 5GB plan. $27 more per month (new plan and phone insurance which I don't have on my TBolt). Odds of me going over my data limit is pretty good even though I use a lot of WiFi. My wife would keep her unlimited data which was just renewed two months ago.

2. I move myself and the wife to a Share Everything Plan. We would need at least the 6GB plan. So $27 more per month. Again though odds of us going over the 6GB limit are pretty good.

3. Buy off-contract device but keep current contract. $600+ isn't exactly lying around when you're married, have a kid, and own a home.

So in the end all options lead to me paying more for less or paying more up front. Yes, $27 isn't a huge amount per month but that's an extra $1300 over the course of the contract and I get LESS data. I even asked the lady from Verizon Customer Loyalty how any of those options are good for me. She had no answer and neither did her managers.

Also, they will NOT upgrade me (or anybody) early to give them at least two more years of unlimited data.
I would move over to Sprint ASAP.

I would move over to Sprint ASAP.

Sprint isn't an option due to their shitty network.

T-Mobile is probably my only option right now. $70 no contract unlimited everything with 5GB at 4G speeds with an unlocked Galaxy Nexus is looking mighty good.

Well, turns out even though my contract is up in October, I can still get a new device at a subsidized price right now and keep my unlimited data. Trying to decide in the next couple weeks whether or not I want to keep Verizon for another 2 years. Their coverage is certainly the best, and the other options (Sprint) are fairly sub-par. Not to mention that, where I live, Verizon is the only one with 4G coverage.

Then I have to decide whether or not to get a Droid RAZR or fork out the extra $100 and go for the Galaxy S III...

Decisions, decisions...

Also, they will NOT upgrade me (or anybody) early to give them at least two more years of unlimited data.

That is odd, because I can go on their website right now (contract is up in Oct.) and upgrade to a new phone, keeping my existing unlimited data plan for the subsidized price.

Sprint isn't an option due to their shitty network.

T-Mobile is probably my only option right now. $70 no contract unlimited everything with 5GB at 4G speeds with an unlocked Galaxy Nexus is looking mighty good.

Well, it sounds like you are willing to pay full-price for a Galaxy Nexus to use on T-Mobile without contract. So why not consider doing the same with Verizon to keep your unlimited data plan? Even though you said $600 is a tough pill to swallow in your last post. Am I missing something here? :confused:

At least for me, I have no problem buying all future phones off-contract to preserve unlimited data for as long as possible. However, I'd hate to buy a $600 phone for that and then find out they institute throttling just like ATT has recently done with their legacy unlimited data plans. :(

At least for me, I have no problem buying all future phones off-contract to preserve unlimited data for as long as possible. However, I'd hate to buy a $600 phone for that and then find out they institute throttling just like ATT has recently done with their legacy unlimited data plans. :(

I wouldn't make that bet- once you're out of contract they're under no obligation to preserve the status quo, and blowing $600 on a VZW handset with the hope that they will retain unlimited service (that they harbor extreme prejudice against) seems like a dumb move IMO.

Well, it sounds like you are willing to pay full-price for a Galaxy Nexus to use on T-Mobile without contract. So why not consider doing the same with Verizon to keep your unlimited data plan? Even though you said $600 is a tough pill to swallow in your last post. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Because that Nexus is a Google device. I get updates from them directly and cut out the carrier and the OEM's. That's why I'm willing to pay full price to go to T-Mobile. Plus $400 is quite a bit less then $600 or $729 for the new SGS3.

Even then going to T-Mobile this Friday/Saturday and my wife and I both getting HTC One S phones for free is awfully tempting too even if it is on contract.

MavericK96 said:
That is odd, because I can go on their website right now (contract is up in Oct.) and upgrade to a new phone, keeping my existing unlimited data plan for the subsidized price.

Not sure how that's possible unless you have an upgrade sitting around. Right now I'm between a rock and hard place with no easy way out.

Not sure how that's possible unless you have an upgrade sitting around. Right now I'm between a rock and hard place with no easy way out.

Well, they did send me a thing last month or so saying I could upgrade.

I guess my point is that you can still upgrade if you are almost out of contract or already are and still keep your unlimited data.

Well, they did send me a thing last month or so saying I could upgrade.

I guess my point is that you can still upgrade if you are almost out of contract or already are and still keep your unlimited data.

Yes, knew that about current upgrades and keeping unlimited data. My problem is I have no upgrade yet. My upgrade isn't until November so I'm screwed and they won't early upgrade me.

Yes, knew that about current upgrades and keeping unlimited data. My problem is I have no upgrade yet. My upgrade isn't until November so I'm screwed and they won't early upgrade me.

Oh, okay. Sucks then. :(

I just pre-ordered the GS3. Might as well, I guess. Everyone else has shit coverage here.

Well I just heard a very interesting thing from Verizon that makes me even more furious.

In the customer agreement there is a clause that let's a person out of their contract early if you don't agree with a change to the Customer Agreement. This is common knowledge and I was planning on using it to get out of my contract.

However, Verizon has successfully backdoored everyone of their customers. Verizon created their own loophole to prevent people from leaving without paying an ETF. By allowing customers to buy the off contract device and keep their current unlimited plans users are not eligible to leave the contract early. This is because Verizon can now claim that they are not forcing users to the new plans, technically speaking.

Am I the only one who feels like I was just bent over and lube wasn't used?

Well I just heard a very interesting thing from Verizon that makes me even more furious.

In the customer agreement there is a clause that let's a person out of their contract early if you don't agree with a change to the Customer Agreement. This is common knowledge and I was planning on using it to get out of my contract.

However, Verizon has successfully backdoored everyone of their customers. Verizon created their own loophole to prevent people from leaving without paying an ETF. By allowing customers to buy the off contract device and keep their current unlimited plans users are not eligible to leave the contract early. This is because Verizon can now claim that they are not forcing users to the new plans, technically speaking.

Am I the only one who feels like I was just bent over and lube wasn't used?

I guess I don't understand why you are furious over this. Like you said, they are not forcing you into this new plan. You are currently under contract (I assume), so nothing is changing for you. Unless you plan on buying a new subsidized phone, you can even get new phones and nothing will change for you.

If you want a new subsidized phone, you have to agree to the new contract terms to get it.

I guess I don't understand why you are furious over this. Like you said, they are not forcing you into this new plan. You are currently under contract (I assume), so nothing is changing for you. Unless you plan on buying a new subsidized phone, you can even get new phones and nothing will change for you.

If you want a new subsidized phone, you have to agree to the new contract terms to get it.

I'm mad because my options are these if I upgrade in November:

1. Moved myself to tiered data - pay more for less.
2. Moved myself and the wife to a Share Everything Plan. - Pay more for less and wife loses her unlimited data which is good until 2014.
3. Buy an off contract device. Sorry I don't have $600+ I can spend on a phone. That type of money is better off spent on my wife, my 8 month old son, and our house.

My contract doesn't end until March of 2013. So yes, I can leave after that however, Verizon does not deserve anymore of my money because of the way they are treating me and their other customers.

So I'm pissed, and rightfully so, because Verizon has decided to change their policies to something that costs ME more money at some point for less service then I'm getting now, yet I can't get out of the contract because they have successfully backdoored all their customers.

Yeah, I don't understand the complaint either. They aren't forcing you to terminate your current unlimited data plan or anything. The new plans suck but there are still ways (for now) to retain unlimited data. They could have just told everyone to fuck off and once your contract is up you lose unlimited data for good. (Which they may still do eventually, which is why I signed another contract to keep unlimited and get 4G for at least another 2 years)

I'm mad because my options are these if I upgrade in November:

1. Moved myself to tiered data - pay more for less.
2. Moved myself and the wife to a Share Everything Plan. - Pay more for less and wife loses her unlimited data which is good until 2014.
3. Buy an off contract device. Sorry I don't have $600+ I can spend on a phone. That type of money is better off spent on my wife, my 8 month old son, and our house.

My contract doesn't end until March of 2013. So yes, I can leave after that however, Verizon does not deserve anymore of my money because of the way they are treating me and their other customers.

So I'm pissed, and rightfully so, because Verizon has decided to change their policies to something that costs ME more money at some point for less service then I'm getting now, yet I can't get out of the contract because they have successfully backdoored all their customers.

You also have the option of keeping the device you have now, or buying a used phone for presumably much less than retail. I see them for sale all the time over at FS/FT.

Also, I don't understand still about the "can't get out of contract" thing. Why do you want to? Why not just switch carriers when your contract ends if you don't want Verizon without unlimited data?

I realize you are upset with Verizon but for the time being nothing is changing for you, so why not just ride it out with your current plan/price and then make a decision in March?

People just complain to complain. It never fails, something changes, and people try to use that as a reason to leave without an ETF when almost every time the change wont affect them unless they are signing a new contract.

I can understand the complaints, and many are valid as these new plans are a complete rip-off compared to the old ones, but I don't see it as a reason to try to leave without ETF if your actual current contract is not changing.

You also have the option of keeping the device you have now, or buying a used phone for presumably much less than retail. I see them for sale all the time over at FS/FT.

Also, I don't understand still about the "can't get out of contract" thing. Why do you want to? Why not just switch carriers when your contract ends if you don't want Verizon without unlimited data?

I realize you are upset with Verizon but for the time being nothing is changing for you, so why not just ride it out with your current plan/price and then make a decision in March?

Exactly. I don't have $600 lying around either, so my pre-ordered Galaxy S 3 will probably be my last new phone for a while. I will start purchasing used phones once my contract is up.

For me, my plan will increase by about $20/month with the new plans. Extrapolate that out over 24 months, and I can purchase a phone out of pocket for up to $480 and break even. So in that light, $600 doesn't seem like much.

I'm going to save about $20 a month by switching to these plans, and get tethering to boot!

Right now I have 3 smartphones, each with $30 data. That's $220 in monthly access fees. The new plan will be $200 for 6GB of shared data. We only use 2-3 GB a month between the 3 of us.

I'm going to save about $20 a month by switching to these plans, and get tethering to boot!

Right now I have 3 smartphones, each with $30 data. That's $220 in monthly access fees. The new plan will be $200 for 6GB of shared data. We only use 2-3 GB a month between the 3 of us.

So far, you are one of the few (that I've seen) who will save money. Some are breaking even, most are paying more for less.

It seems that the ones who save money have a lot of Smartphones on their accounts, and don't use a lot of data.

Yup, as long as you don't make any changes, you get to keep unlimited data at your current pricing. Vermillion, I don't understand what you would plan to accomplish by getting out of your contract now. Even if they let you do that, you would still lose your unlimited data if you then wanted to start a new contract with Verizon (but they would probably just tell you to suck it since you just got done bending them over on a technicality).

Sorry, but getting something like the Droid RAZR or HTC Rezound for $200-300 isn't that big of an upgrade over my Thunderbolt. You still see Google Nexus phones for Verizon hitting up to $500 over at Swappa. Those who can afford a $500+ phone without pissing off their wife please raise their hand.

Yes, I can keep my Thunderbolt and my only option right now is probably to ride out my contract. However, I feel that Verizon no longer deserves my money. They broke their Customer Agreement with me by making changes I don't agree with but backdoored it in order to keep me from leaving.

Honestly, at this point I'm thinking I may just deal with my Thunderbolt until March and then buy an unlocked Nexus device (new model will be out with Jelly Bean by then) and do the $70 T-Mobile Unlimited Everything plan with NO contract. Yes, it means I buy a Nexus off contract but the Galaxy Nexus right now off contract from Verizon is $650. It's only $400 direct from Google for an unlocked GSM model. I expect that to ring true with the next Nexus as well.

Not to mention getting support directly from Google instead of dealing with Verizon delaying updates for months at a time, I'm not tied to a carrier for 2 years, and unlocked Nexus devices hold their value decently so that if/when I want to upgrade again I can sell it and at least bring the amount coming out of pocket down to a minimum.

People just complain to complain. It never fails, something changes, and people try to use that as a reason to leave without an ETF when almost every time the change wont affect them unless they are signing a new contract.

I do have a reason to leave.

This is from Verizon's Customer Agreement:

"Your Plan includes your monthly allowances and features"

"If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it."

So since I object to the change where my grandfathered data plan (which is a feature of my phone according to Verizon themselves) will be eliminated when I upgrade, thus costing me more money with data fees (material adverse effect) I should be able to leave Verizon without an Early Termination Fee if I so choose. The lady on the phone at Verizon even said under normal circumstances I would be able to leave. However, these are not normal circumstances. Verizon was smart when they planned this. They knew these plans would piss off a lot of people and people would jump ship. So what did Verizon do? They built in a loophole to cover their ass by saying you can buy an off contract device without changing your current plan.

kumquat said:

Well at least there are some people who benefit from these new plans. You are the first though kumquat who I've seen actually benefit from these new plans. :)

Yup, as long as you don't make any changes, you get to keep unlimited data at your current pricing. Vermillion, I don't understand what you would plan to accomplish by getting out of your contract now. Even if they let you do that, you would still lose your unlimited data if you then wanted to start a new contract with Verizon (but they would probably just tell you to suck it since you just got done bending them over on a technicality).

So I should thank Verizon for screwing me over and continue to give them money?

What I accomplish is something that doesn't happen often enough anymore which is why Verizon can do what it's doing. I vote with my wallet. Verizon no longer gets my money. Somebody else does. If enough people voted with their wallet instead of saying "i'll just deal with it," it would make it impossible for Verizon to do what they are doing because it wouldn't be beneficial to their bank account.

T-Mobile's coverage where I live is every bit as good as Verizon. The $70 unlimited anything pre-paid no contract is quite nice. 5GB @ HSPA+ speeds and then Edge. Yes, that's not quite the same as unlimited LTE but at least if I go over my 5GB limit I don't get charged MORE money.

Yup, as long as you don't make any changes, you get to keep unlimited data at your current pricing.

Technically you only have their word that they won't do that. Once your off contract (month-to-month) they can change your plan any month if they want and you have to either take it or leave it. Theoretically speaking 24 months after this June 28 (which means all possible unlimited plans would be off contract) they could announce all unlimited plans are being converted to capped plans.

Sorry, but getting something like the Droid RAZR or HTC Rezound for $200-300 isn't that big of an upgrade over my Thunderbolt. You still see Google Nexus phones for Verizon hitting up to $500 over at Swappa. Those who can afford a $500+ phone without pissing off their wife please raise their hand.

First, don't use SWAPPA. I've NEVER seen a good deal there. Hit up the FS/FT forums here, or at other technical sites you belong to, or go to HowardForums and buy one used from there.
They broke their Customer Agreement with me by making changes I don't agree with but backdoored it in order to keep me from leaving.

No they didn't. The CA that you agreed to is still being upheld. VZW is NOT FORCING this change on you. The CA that you agreed to is still being carried out, and will continue to do so as long as you DO NOT AGREE TO A NEW CA BY RENEWING your 2 year contract after June 28, 2012.

This is from Verizon's Customer Agreement:

"Your Plan includes your monthly allowances and features"

"If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it."
Again, they have made NO CHANGES to the PLAN THAT YOU AGREED TO.

So since I object to the change where my grandfathered data plan (which is a feature of my phone according to Verizon themselves) will be eliminated when I upgrade, thus costing me more money with data fees (material adverse effect) I should be able to leave Verizon without an Early Termination Fee if I so choose. The lady on the phone at Verizon even said under normal circumstances I would be able to leave. However, these are not normal circumstances. Verizon was smart when they planned this. They knew these plans would piss off a lot of people and people would jump ship. So what did Verizon do? They built in a loophole to cover their ass by saying you can buy an off contract device without changing your current plan.
No, you should not be able to leave without an ETF. I don't know why you keep thinking that by renewing your contract, you keep the same CA terms. When you renew your contract, you agree to the terms that are active at that time. Go ahead, try to make a change to your data plan anytime from last July to the present. Your grandfathered unlimited will be axed, and you will have to get the tiered data until June 28, 2012.

First, don't use SWAPPA. I've NEVER seen a good deal there. Hit up the FS/FT forums here, or at other technical sites you belong to, or go to HowardForums and buy one used from there.

Swappa was just an example.

Kelvarr said:
No they didn't. The CA that you agreed to is still being upheld. VZW is NOT FORCING this change on you. The CA that you agreed to is still being carried out, and will continue to do so as long as you DO NOT AGREE TO A NEW CA BY RENEWING your 2 year contract after June 28, 2012.

Again, they have made NO CHANGES to the PLAN THAT YOU AGREED TO.

No, you should not be able to leave without an ETF. I don't know why you keep thinking that by renewing your contract, you keep the same CA terms. When you renew your contract, you agree to the terms that are active at that time. Go ahead, try to make a change to your data plan anytime from last July to the present. Your grandfathered unlimited will be axed, and you will have to get the tiered data until June 28, 2012.

Funny...people right now get to keep their current CA terms with upgrades even though tiered data has been around for months. In fact my wife did it two months ago back in April. How is that any different then now? Oh wait..they did make a change. My current CA allows me to keep my grandfathered unlimited data because it's a feature of my phone. According to Verizon grandfathered unlimited data is no longer a feature as of June 28, 2012.

I was told point blank today ON THE PHONE WITH VERIZON that under normal circumstances this would have broken the CA allowing me to walk away. This is NOT a normal circumstance because Verizon backdoored it to cover their ass. I even asked the lady today straight up: "So you're telling me Verizon broke the Customer Agreement but created a loophole to prevent people from walking away from the contract?" She was silent and after I repeated the question her answer was "I can't answer that."

Funny...people right now get to keep their current CA terms with upgrades even though tiered data has been around for months. In fact my wife did it two months ago back in April. How is that any different then now? Oh wait..they did make a change. My current CA allows me to keep my grandfathered unlimited data because it's a feature of my phone. According to Verizon grandfathered unlimited data is no longer a feature as of June 28, 2012.

I'm still not understanding this. They did not make a change to your current contract. You are still getting unlimited data and will continue to do so until the end of your contract term.

I don't know what you mean by "unlimited data is a feature of my phone". No, it's not. It's a feature of your plan, and it's not been an option for new plans for a long time now (since tiered data). You can still be "grandfathered in" to unlimited data if you do not sign a new contract for a subsidized phone beyond June 28th.

Again, I understand you are upset, I'm upset too and I'm just glad/lucky that I am able to upgrade before the new plans go into effect, but I don't think you understand the whole contract/ETF issue here. The only time you get to cancel without ETF is if they actually change the terms of your CURRENT contract, that you are currently in. For example, if they said "Okay, if you are in a contract with us right now, you will lose unlimited data next month" then that would be grounds for contract cancellation without ETF because they are changing the terms of the contract. Once your contract term ends, they can do whatever they want because you are no longer under contract.

Really the people getting screwed here (yourself included) are those who are in the middle of a contract and are ineligible for early upgrade. However, again, that is not grounds for contract termination without ETF because your current contract terms are still being upheld.

I'm guessing you want to jump ship and get another carrier with unlimited data (Sprint?) before they (possibly) switch to tiered plans, too. I understand that too, but that is the risk you take when you sign a 2-year contract.

I was told point blank today ON THE PHONE WITH VERIZON that under normal circumstances this would have broken the CA allowing me to walk away. This is NOT a normal circumstance because Verizon backdoored it to cover their ass. I even asked the lady today straight up: "So you're telling me Verizon broke the Customer Agreement but created a loophole to prevent people from walking away from the contract?" She was silent and after I repeated the question her answer was "I can't answer that."

Sure, they previously have let people out of their contracts for reasons like this, but they basically only did that out of goodwill. They are making no changes to your contract, therefore, you have no legal grounds for getting out of an ETF. You can continue as you are with unlimited data through the termination of your current contract.

Verizon is also allowing you to keep your unlimited data if you keep the phone you have or BYO phone...something they have no obligation to do. Their only obligation to you is to fulfill their end of your contract as it was agreed to by both parties. What may happen after the conclusion of your contract has no bearing on your contract.

Cliffs:
You have no right to keep unlimited data after the conclusion of your contract. Sucks, but that's the facts Jack.

Technically you only have their word that they won't do that. Once your off contract (month-to-month) they can change your plan any month if they want and you have to either take it or leave it. Theoretically speaking 24 months after this June 28 (which means all possible unlimited plans would be off contract) they could announce all unlimited plans are being converted to capped plans.

That is certainly a possibility and not that unlikely TBH. But if you like Verizon's coverage/service and are able, you might as well sign a new contract now and keep it for at least two years.

But yeah, personally, I would not buy an unsubsidized phone outright right now and bank on off-contract unlimited data sticking around for 2 years.

I plan on upgrading to the S3 next week to keep my unlimited data, however, I'm considering the new plans. I have two smartphones at the moment, we use just over 1GB a month. I pay $80 for service, and roughly $60 a month per phone ($30 data, $10 per line, insurance). I'm wondering if we have to pay for the service on top of everything still, or if that's included in the per phone charge that's coming. I'm still thinking I'll be paying less in a tiered system.

You pay a per-phone charge on top of the base fee that includes minutes, messaging, and data.

For example, for unlimited minutes, unlimited messaging, and 4 GB of data shared between 2 smartphones you will be paying $70 + $40 + $40 = $150.

Basically, the new plans seem to assume that you have 2+ smartphones on your plan. If you're like me and have one smartphone and one feature phone, they're not a good deal because you're paying a lot more for shared data that one or more phones will not really use.

Back