Verizon’s “Six Strikes” Anti-Piracy Measures Unveiled

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are a Verizon customer you'll definitely want to read this. A glimpse into the near future under the six-strikes anti-piracy system?

During the coming weeks the controversial “six-strikes” anti-piracy system will kick off in the U.S. While none of the participating ISPs have officially announced how they will handle repeat infringers, TorrentFreak has obtained a copy of Verizon’s full policy. Among other things, offenders will have to watch a video about the consequences of online piracy, before their speeds are reduced to 256kbps. Also worth mentioning is that the copyright alert system will also apply to business customers.

Get warning -> Switch ISP. Works for me :) I don't know about anyone else, but the second I get any I will spit on my ISP and remove any and all funds to them.

Many have no alternative choice in more then a few markets, thanks to the cable / telco monopolies.

it's going to take exactly one Enterprise to catch a letter from the RIAA, before this thing gets ugly.

Six accusations of piracy or six affirmations of piracy?

Accusations. You don't need to affirm it since we all know that IP Address = You. It's not like there is any possible way to fake it, right. :rolleyes:

Want to dispute it? You only have to pay $35 for someone hired by the MPAA/RIAA to "impartially investigate" it.

Interesting that most of the ISPs involved have large areas where they are the only real choice in high-speed connections. Should keep people from jumping ship when the inevitable false reports start rolling in.

The only verizon I have is through my phone -- i very rarely download any torrent type stuff. When I have to -- it's pretty smooth, 4G rocks!

AT&T is my home provider, downloaded a few hundred GB the past few months and haven't had a single issue.

They probably will, when they lose profits. Hardly a huge chance of it though, since like someone said... monopolies.

What happened to whole Verizon sticking it to the establishment thing?

That's only when it effects there bottom line.

They have no problem policing customers if it can be done so without a great deal of money and resources. Plus the RIAA/MPAA lobbyists in Washington will finally get off there backs.

IN reality however I believe they will rarely enforce this policy because a paying customer is worth much more to them than a disgruntled one who leaves. So I expect that unless you are a superseeding torrent user that dumps 20TB a month , you probably won't ever face this whole nonsense approach.

So as to protest, we should all begin 24/7 sharing NON-copyrighted materials to confuse and confound Verizon?

That's only when it effects there bottom line.

They have no problem policing customers if it can be done so without a great deal of money and resources. Plus the RIAA/MPAA lobbyists in Washington will finally get off there backs.

IN reality however I believe they will rarely enforce this policy because a paying customer is worth much more to them than a disgruntled one who leaves. So I expect that unless you are a superseeding torrent user that dumps 20TB a month , you probably won't ever face this whole nonsense approach.
Funny how that works isn't it? I sure hope they don't go all Gestapo with it since I'm on FiOS and tend to use my fair share of bandwidth.

I can't afford enough 4 TB drives to exceed 20 TB/mo in 'nix distro's, let alone find that much time to test them all. :p

So as to protest, we should all begin 24/7 sharing NON-copyrighted materials to confuse and confound Verizon?
Don't forget to rename them with cryptic references to names of copyrighted material to really screw with them. ;)

I like all the whining in here when a company tries to stop you from stealing. :rolleyes:

Lets say you are the person buying everything legally.

Someone hacks your wifi, swaps mac addresses on their cable modem, ect... downloads a few movies, you get nailed because it pointed back to you, while in reality you didn't do anything wrong.

That's the problem I have with it.

I like all the whining in here when a company tries to stop you from stealing. :rolleyes:

Downloading != Stealing. Stop being a mouthpiece for the MAFIAA. Stealing deprives a person of the possession of a piece of property. Breaking into Best Buy and removing a physical CD is stealing because it deprives Best Buy of the possession of that CD. Copying a song does not deprive anyone of possession of anything that they already have. Even the state has said has much in Dowling v. United States.

Should we bother to explain the difference between stealing, and copyright infringement, or just assume an intentional attempt at deception, trolling, or plain incompetence?

Should we bother to explain the difference between stealing, and copyright infringement, or just assume an intentional attempt at deception, trolling, or plain incompetence?

Let's assume all of those along with colorectal cancer because that would probably upset someone greatly and cause them to take it out on internet forums.

When it comes to movies and television I don't see how they can say "it's a violation for you to download an episode/movie, but perfectly ok to DVR it." If I pay to see it in a theatre at an extortions rate, I damn well have the right to keep a copy of the movie I paid to see. Same goes for television shows, I pay for cable, I should be able to watch them when/where I want.

My DVR screwed up recording the new simpsons last sunday, I had to use other methods to watch the last 2 minutes...

It has a low % of doing that(5%)? but it did that over 6 times now...

Get warning -> Switch ISP. Works for me :) I don't know about anyone else, but the second I get any I will spit on my ISP and remove any and all funds to them.

Why would you care if you have nothing to hide?....or...do...you. :D

I'm curious how much they are going to stand by this.

For example, if someone gets a 5th warning and their internet is slowed to 256kbps and they call Verizon to cancel. Will the retention department give up the revenue and hold firm on the penalty, or will they cave and restore full server.

It's not going to work, just like it hasn't in the past 14 years since Napster.

one or ten notices will not change my activities online...$15 for an ebook? $5 for a tv show you dont even offer me in this country, to the tune of a full season or seasons of that show? Movies that cost me $15 to go see once, and not own, then another $20 to own? How about $60 for a video game thats so buggy its not even playable for a few weeks? Add that all up then tell me i cant do whatever i want with the items i buy.... and you may begin to understand that this is a way for citizens to protest your practices... and do so with a vengeance unheard of in history....and it will not stop in the digital age... ever.

Media, or any company really, do not care about you in any way shape or form, they only care about the people who own stock in their company, and how much money they can make those people who have the ability to can their asses....you are a piece of shit with no intrinsic value what so ever to them,,,but the best part is....they will lie cheat steal and pirate anything they can, and pay a pittance of pennies on the dollar in fines after the fact...Reality is a fucking hoot aint it?

Downloading != Stealing. Stop being a mouthpiece for the MAFIAA. Stealing deprives a person of the possession of a piece of property. Breaking into Best Buy and removing a physical CD is stealing because it deprives Best Buy of the possession of that CD. Copying a song does not deprive anyone of possession of anything that they already have. Even the state has said has much in Dowling v. United States.
I guess "identity theft" isn't really theft either since you don't cease being you and they aren't depriving you of your identity. Stop making excuses for yourself so you don't have to pay for things that you are not licensed to own.

One thing has always confused me with the internet anti-piracy movement: how is it any different than borrowing a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray from your friend and making a copy of it to watch yourself? I am not saying there are no legal issues associated with doing just that, but at what point are the efforts to prevent this action not worth it?

There have been studies conducted which concluded that most people who were "pirating" were never going purchase the actual product anyway - discrediting the whole "lost revenues" argument (that has been used to constitute stealing). By the logic of people in favor of practices like the one supposedly under development at Verizon, we should just have cameras/microphones installed everywhere in our houses in a 1984 Big Brother style on the off chance that someone in our household decides to do something illegal, the rest of our "right to privacy" be damned...

I guess "identity theft" isn't really theft either since you don't cease being you and they aren't depriving you of your identity. Stop making excuses for yourself so you don't have to pay for things that you are not licensed to own.

Uh...... Identity Theft isn't theft.

If anything, it's fraud.

Actually, it's fraud, and impersonation, and not theft. The credit they abuse using the name of the person they are impersonating is theft however. The crimes are at least related. Calling impersonation, and fraud, theft, is actually downplaying the problem.

Calling non commercial copyright infringement, theft, is at best an error, and at worst, a plain old attempt at deception. Likening a lessor crime, normally dealt with in civil court, to a higher crime normally dealt with in criminal court, is not a new thing. Most people don't fall for it, at least most around here don't.

This likening of serious crimes to non consequential ones is more likely to reduce the strength and alter the meaning of the terms used to describe the higher crime. "Piracy" and "pirate" are great examples.

Maybe it will get through to you as a jingle.

Also, as others have pointed out, this was already decided by the Supreme Court so if you live in the USA, legally copying is not theft.

Back