Verizon Rolls Out 5G to Select Cities

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Verizon recently announced the world's first commercial 5G service. "Verizon 5G Home" will roll out in Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles and Sacramento on October 1, with pre orders starting tomorrow. Verizon says the service will be free for the first 3 months, and cost $50 a month for existing Verizon customers. The company says users should expect speeds of "around 300 Mbps and, depending on location, peak speeds of nearly 1 Gig, with no data caps."

Further advancing 5G, the company isn't waiting for the most recent technical standards to deliver 5G Home, pushing ahead with its own proprietary 5G standard in this initial commercial launch. "To be first, we encouraged others in the ecosystem to move more quickly at every step," said Vestberg. "We appreciate the partnership of network equipment makers, device manufacturers, software developers and chip makers in reaching this critical milestone. The entire wireless industry gets to celebrate."

This won't go anywhere. They will charge by the GB after a year or so.

I’m afraid of that, but I still think I may look into it since I’m a Verizon customer. I’ll have to see how far out the 5G coverage goes outside of Indy but I’m thinking I might get lucky and my suburb will be covered.

Reactions: atom
like this
I wonder what the latency and jitter numbers looks like on this service. Could be a good backup connection for office networks if i can get static IP on it.

As a Verizon customer for the last 6 years, there is no way the "no data caps" stays that way. If it even is "unlimited" now.

Reactions: atom
like this
Verizon recently announced the world's first commercial 5G service. "Verizon 5G Home" will roll out in Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles and Sacramento on October 1, with pre orders starting tomorrow. Verizon says the service will be free for the first 3 months, and cost $50 a month for existing Verizon customers. The company says users should expect speeds of "around 300 Mbps and, depending on location, peak speeds of nearly 1 Gig, with no data caps."
"

And starting next year 20% annual price jumps with data caps and throttling.

Remember that this is home internet, not 'cell' service, even though it is essentially cellular technology.

More like wireless Fios.

Snort...Considering they can't even deliver 4g lte speeds, color me skeptical of their ability to deliver this.

Not really 5G, from TFA - emphasis added: "Verizon has led the technology industry with our clear focus on bringing 5G service to consumers as quickly as possible. That’s why our 5G Home service is built on our proprietary 5G TF standard; we are able to deliver results and a 5G network faster than waiting for the formal 3GPP 5G NR standard to be incorporated into network equipment, devices, chipsets and software. As our 5G technology partners bring that hardware, software, chipsets and devices to market on the 3GPP 5G NR standard, we'll upgrade First On 5G Members to that equipment at no charge. When new network equipment is available and introduced, we’ll expand our 5G broadband internet coverage area quickly and bring 5G to additional cities."

The data caps will come back within a few years after Verizon "claims" to be running tight on current bandwidth...Rinse and Repeat with 6/7/8/9G.....

I am already being rammed by Comcast the least I can do is get fingered by Verizon. Please come to Miami..

Be careful in Sacramento and LA. That 5G is going to give everyone there cancer.
Cancer really isn't a laughing matter. If you think they have done proper testing on 5G good luck with that. It puts way more energy into your body than any other wireless. Also, if you allow the transmitter in your house, they will probably argue that you agreed to it, and therefore you can't sue. I mean cigarettes were once pushed by Doctors as good for your health. It looks like the unfortunate people doing the installs close to the transmitters will be the ones taking most of the damage, early on, no one knows the long term exposure risks. I'd wait, but no one seems to care about safety anymore, so good luck.

Cancer really isn't a laughing matter. If you think they have done proper testing on 5G good luck with that. It puts way more energy into your body than any other wireless. Also, if you allow the transmitter in your house, they will probably argue that you agreed to it, and therefore you can't sue. I mean cigarettes were once pushed by Doctors as good for your health. It looks like the unfortunate people doing the installs close to the transmitters will be the ones taking most of the damage, early on, no one knows the long term exposure risks. I'd wait, but no one seems to care about safety anymore, so good luck.

Population control!

Population control!
You'd be well served at taking whatever corporations and governments tell you and flipping it in reverse to see the truth. Fact is they love it if you believe their somewhat truthful lies and do whatever stupid thing they are telling you to do. Been like this for centuries.

Its all good. Its not like 5G would even work in my house, my roof was built in like the 70's or 80's and its basically layers of wood planks, sheet metal, and 1/2'' ceramic tiles. Not to mention the 2 ft. of blown fiberglass in my attic (its a wonderful snowfield up there!) I only get 1 or 2 bars of 4G reliably inside my house... I can sometimes get the LTE portion to connect if I am close to a window. Phone call drops are pretty common unless I walk outside. So bring on your 5G cancer rays!

Watch 5G saturation do something completely random like nullify the Gravity Theory...

Personally I think nothing will happen until we get to 6G, which will promptly awaken Cthulhu from his timeless slumber.

Wonder if Los Angeles = Orange County? I'd be up to give this a try. $100/mo for 100 meg internet from cox is getting old.

Wonder if Los Angeles = Orange County? I'd be up to give this a try. $100/mo for 100 meg internet from cox is getting old.

Ouch. Sounds like you're getting dicked over by Cox, and they're giving their customers the shaft with that pricing.

Personally I think nothing will happen until we get to 6G, which will promptly awaken Cthulhu from his timeless slumber.

Don't be silly. Yes, the 6G antennas require non-euclidean geometry, but that just increases the available bandwidth, and is perfectly harmless. 6G wireless will bring world-changing improvements.

Cox-100Meg-Internet.jpg

I was fully expecting a back lash of people going, "nuh uh... they said it was unlimited so it will be unlimited you guys are just being negative... competition is good blah blah blah blah." I guess I underestimated how bad Verizon has been over the years.

Don't be silly. Yes, the 6G antennas require non-euclidean geometry, but that just increases the available bandwidth, and is perfectly harmless. 6G wireless will bring world-changing improvements.

I take that back. Apparently you are already awake.

I wonder what the latency and jitter numbers looks like on this service. Could be a good backup connection for office networks if i can get static IP on it.

You can do that now on 4g, average latency is between 80-120

You can do that now on 4g, average latency is between 80-120

That's what, worst case?

I've seen quite a bit lower, but maybe I'm measuring a bit differently.

Anyway yeah, 4G (assume that means LTE) is already used as a failover, with routers built to accommodate LTE modems en masse.

Back