Verizon Rejected Apple Phone Deal

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently Cingular was not Apple’s first choice as a partner for its recently announced phone. From the sounds of it, Apple wanted more money and more control than Verizon was happy with.

Among other things, Apple wanted a percentage of the monthly cellphone fees, say over how and where iPhones could be sold and control of the relationship with iPhone customers, said Jim Gerace, a Verizon Wireless vice president. "We said no. We have nothing bad to say about the Apple iPhone.

Two super-greedy companies are only going to butt heads. Verizon will not compromise.

If I was verizon in this case, I would have also given them the finger. Verizon has great support and great warranty exchanges, I wouldn't let apple try to pinch the pennies and screw over your own customer base.

Thats absurd, not only will they be shafting their own customers, but they would be shafting some of their biggest retailers.

good for verizon i bet they told stevie boy to shove his 600 dollar piece of crap i(diot)Phone up his ass.

Im no fan of Apple, but I can bet that one of the issues they had with the deal is they wouldnt let Verizon rape the user interface into some gaudy red looking thing, and completly block users out of functions on the phone 9as they do with the rest of their phone lineup)

Plus, I've been reading the iPhone doesn't have 3G, and I'm sure that made Verizon laugh a little.

Im no fan of Apple, but I can bet that one of the issues they had with the deal is they wouldnt let Verizon rape the user interface into some gaudy red looking thing, and completly block users out of functions on the phone 9as they do with the rest of their phone lineup)

If you do know verizon and you do know their smart phone offerings, they do not touch the software on the smart phones.....

How did they block users out of their rest of thier phone lineup? :rolleyes: You ever used any of their smart phones?

The LG is quite ugly, but the Meizu looks a lot like the iPhone. Good to see some competition already around.

Sigh, as if Verizon was a company worthy of brushing off Apple. :rolleyes:

I just bought a Cingulr 8525 and I love it, I would have got the iPhone if it had 3G and PTT but I don't see how they'll add that except for a different generation down the line. Also my phone was fast approaching uselessness and I couldn't wait a few months for it to be released. Also, I want a phone, I already have an iPod...don't need half the functionality of each smooshed together.

As for Verizon, their 'unlimited broadband' service comes with quite a few caveats. No phone tethering, not quite as 'unlimited' as it sounds and they are even worse then Cingular when it comes to neutering phone features. I can tether my phone and blast it all day if I wanted to. But the WiFI/Slingbox client on the 8525 is my current favorite :D

I'm only with Verizon for two big reasons:

1) My girlfriend has IN
2) I get a 15% discount through work

If it weren't for these, I'd definitely shop around when my contract ends. I don't have that many complaints about Verizon, but I don't know if they're better for me than the other guys. I'm not really a big phone talker though.

And I agree. I don't need a phone to do everything for me. I want a phone to be a phone, and my iPod to play music. I don't have any need to check email or browse the web from my phone. I disabled EV-DO because I don't want to use VCast, nor do I have the money to.

Verizon does neuter phones, but usually there are ways around that ;)

And that's where I'll stop.

Sigh, as if Verizon was a company worthy of brushing off Apple. :rolleyes:

I just bought a Cingulr 8525 and I love it, I would have got the iPhone if it had 3G and PTT but I don't see how they'll add that except for a different generation down the line. Also my phone was fast approaching uselessness and I couldn't wait a few months for it to be released. Also, I want a phone, I already have an iPod...don't need half the functionality of each smooshed together.

As for Verizon, their 'unlimited broadband' service comes with quite a few caveats. No phone tethering, not quite as 'unlimited' as it sounds and they are even worse then Cingular when it comes to neutering phone features. I can tether my phone and blast it all day if I wanted to. But the WiFI/Slingbox client on the 8525 is my current favorite :D

What are you talking about? No tethering of your phone? Not quite unlimited.

Try downloading a 600mb patch on your phone via your laptop and let me know if thats not too "unlimted" for you via EVDO. :rolleyes:

Verizon does neuter phones, but usually there are ways around that ;)

Once again, not thier smart phones, they dont have their junk installed... just plain old windows mobile 5.0.

Well i think they will be sorry when they see how many jump ship from their current service and go to ATT, once the phone is released..I know i am.

Well i think they will be sorry when they see how many jump ship from their current service and go to ATT, once the phone is released..I know i am.

Particularly as they just made it easy by raising their text-msging rates. This changes the contract and gives an easy out without a fee (has to be done soon, however).

Back