Verizon Raises FiOS ETF to $360

They no longer grandfather plans. I had the 5/2 (which I was quite happy with) and was forced onto the 10/2 in December along with a $10 price hike. I did NOT have a choice.

Interesting. My area moved to 15/5 for 55$ per month (no contract) and I'm still on 10/2 at 42$ per month (not 45 :p).

I guess it depends where you live, but FIOS has been excellent for me so far, 35/35 for $40 a month I would love to see a cable company do 35 duplex. :p

You guys need to look at this from a business perspective. Verizon is putting expensive equipment in your house, paying man hours and transportation costs for a technician (or 2 or 3) to physically come to your house to install & configure the equipment, and paying man hours for the service to be provisioned.

Deal with house construction contractors/subcontractors on a regular basis, and you'd be happy to lose only 360 bucks.

In all honesty there is nothing labor wise any more intensive to installing full FIOS than there is Cable. The big advantage to Verizon is their power bill is going down dramatically as they no longer need to supply electricity to the phone lines.

You get a fiber drop to your house right into the DAAD converter for which you pay the power bill, not them. From there it's CAT-5 to your router (you MUST use theirs if you have TV). All the TV cable connections terminate at that router.

Three hours for a full setup, about what it takes the cable company. That even includes running the fiber from the pole to the house.

fios has increased my happiness rating from about a 3, to a 17 on a 30 point scale. 20/20 and beyond. went down once for about 30 minutes since i got it that i can remember off the top of my head right now.

almost always (95% of the time) get full rated speeds in tests and more importantly in actual dl/ul through various applications.

everyone should have fios, providing they dont saturate my neighborhood lines and suck up my bandwidth. :)

Back