Verizon Launches Startup Offering $40-per-Month Unlimited Data

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Verizon is funding a new mobile service called Visible, which offers a $40 unlimited data plan. The startup claims that there is no throttling. Subscriptions are currently invitation only, however, and the service is only available to unlocked iPhones.

Once registration is complete, Visible will send a sim card the next day, and, once installed, a user can access Verizon’s 4G LTE network to stream videos, send texts, and make calls as much as their heart desires.

Waiting for the 22GB asterisk next to the word unlimited. That said, no iPhone so I don't care... not that I use much data at all to justify needing an unlimited plan.

Reactions: Wild1
like this
Update* I used b1a20 for the invite code.. Seems to work for now..

Worked for me too. Thanks! I am trying to activate a old iPhone 7 Plus of mine that hasn't had service for at least a year and I keep getting this message when putting in the IMEI:

Something went wrong, we are working hard to fix it.

Anyone else getting this? I suppose though since I was able to create an account there is no rush to activate, but it'd be nice to get up and going. Chat is busy (assuming b/c of weekend) so can't do anything...

:-(

Worked for me too. Thanks! I am trying to activate a old iPhone 7 Plus of mine that hasn't had service for at least a year and I keep getting this message when putting in the IMEI:

Something went wrong, we are working hard to fix it.

Anyone else getting this? I suppose though since I was able to create an account there is no rush to activate, but it'd be nice to get up and going. Chat is busy (assuming b/c of weekend) so can't do anything...

:-(
I thought I read on there that the iPhone SE and iPhone 7 do not work.. might be SOL..

I thought I read on there that the iPhone SE and iPhone 7 do not work.. might be SOL..

I just checked their FAQ and under where to find your IMEI it says:

How do I find my phone ID (IMEI)?
If you’re on an iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, or iPhone X:
1. Go to Settings > General > About. Your phone ID (IMEI) is about 3/4 of the way down.
2. If you purchased your phone recently, you may be able to find it on the back of the box.

So it doesn't mention the 7S specifically, but I figured it would work...

EDIT: I think you're right...

Can I use my phone with Visible?

If you have an iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, or iPhone X, then yes. Some iPhone SE and iPhone 7 models can be tricky, but you can always check for sure here: https://www.bevisible.com/join And, don’t worry, Android support is coming soon.

This upsets me... None of the "Plus" size iPhones work... I guess i'll hold onto the account for now until they add compatibility. God damn it.

What I think I will try. I am going to buy a iPhone 6 since I can get one for about $150 and that same sim card fits the 7 Plus. Maybe it'll work that way...

Except it's like every other MVNO, limited to 5Mbps, you don't really get their full 4g network.

I just checked their FAQ and under where to find your IMEI it says:

How do I find my phone ID (IMEI)?
If you’re on an iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, or iPhone X:
1. Go to Settings > General > About. Your phone ID (IMEI) is about 3/4 of the way down.
2. If you purchased your phone recently, you may be able to find it on the back of the box.

So it doesn't mention the 7S specifically, but I figured it would work...

EDIT: I think you're right...

Can I use my phone with Visible?

If you have an iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, or iPhone X, then yes. Some iPhone SE and iPhone 7 models can be tricky, but you can always check for sure here: https://www.bevisible.com/join And, don’t worry, Android support is coming soon.

This upsets me... None of the "Plus" size iPhones work... I guess i'll hold onto the account for now until they add compatibility. God damn it.

What I think I will try. I am going to buy a iPhone 6 since I can get one for about $150 and that same sim card fits the 7 Plus. Maybe it'll work that way...

Yup that was what I read... I have a 64GB AT&T Unlocked iPhone SE that I am having trouble with as well.. I literally just unlocked it today though.. so hopefully a day or two will make it work.. Otherwise maybe I will hit up their #chat help to see if I can get some help...

Yup that was what I read... I have a 64GB AT&T Unlocked iPhone SE that I am having trouble with as well.. I literally just unlocked it today though.. so hopefully a day or two will make it work.. Otherwise maybe I will hit up their #chat help to see if I can get some help...

If it was att it probably doesn't have the cdma radio enabled, if even present. It will probably only work on other gsm networks.

Except it's like every other MVNO, limited to 5Mbps, you don't really get their full 4g network.

That's fine for 99% of what I do and at $40 a month it's worth it. I have AT&T now and they suck. Verizon is the best carrier in my county by a factor of at least 4.

Why cant Verzion itself offer this? Shareholder expectations?

"The most surprising thing is that Verizon itself is funding the company, since it has the potential to cannibalize some of Verizon’s existing customers. At a guess, that might be why it started stealthily without any major marketing push: Verizon wants to analyze whether Visible customers are defecting from Verizon postpaid, or whether it’s picking up customers from other prepaid operators or its competitors."

This makes the most sense to me. I'm switching from AT&T postpaid to this. Verizon is the best in my area.

5 Mbps (aka fast)
Just right for streaming.

480p Resolution (aka crisp)
Most videos stream at a resolution of 480p - all nice and crisp on your phone.
480p is a blur.

So I was able to sign up with my IMEI with visible. I had to update my phone to IOS 11.3 (Earlier I was still on 10. something). So now I am just waiting for my SIM card.

40$ plus $23.65 in official-sounding fees, and a bit of taxes.

Where did you see that?

I haven't started the service yet as I don't have a SIM card, but I did read this on their website;

Charges
You are responsible for paying all mandatory taxes and fees set by federal, state, and local governments that we are required to collect and remit to the government, but we’ve made it simple for you by including the taxes and fees in the monthly cost on your bill statement.

That’s the rub of the offer, instead of getting the max LTE speeds, you’ll never get above 5 Mbps of data.

Reactions: bos
like this
So it isn't actually "$40 all-in" as they claim? Big surprise. :rolleyes:

I am still waiting on that confirmation because I haven't seen a source for that, nor is there anything mentioning the amount on visible's website other than this:

"Charges
You are responsible for paying all mandatory taxes and fees set by federal, state, and local governments that we are required to collect and remit to the government, but we’ve made it simple for you by including the taxes and fees in the monthly cost on your bill statement."

480p is a blur.

Yup, I use cricket which is basically the same on ATT network. Streaming even 480p is often a problem, but it's fine for pretty much everything else. Just don't go into this thinking you're getting Verizon's network speeds, you're not, you're just getting the connectivity/coverage. This isn't some fantastic deal, just another MVNO.

is that legal to do? A baker refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple and it goes to the supreme court. This company puts in place a startup and says it 's by invitation only? Where are the lawyers?

Last edited:
40$ plus $23.65 in official-sounding fees, and a bit of taxes.

So it isn't actually "$40 all-in" as they claim? Big surprise. :rolleyes:

Just asked people on Reddit who have the service and this is the response I am getting:

"I got billed my first month and it was $40 flat. Paid with PayPal."

So it appears to be $40 flat. Taxes are built into the bill.

Given Verizon regularly throttles my phone below 5mbs in a piss poor attempt to force me to upgrade, I would be happy with a service that just left me alone and delivered what I pay for. I'm sick and tired of having to call Verizon every few months to bitch I'm being throttled, then deny it, but it mysteriously start working again 15 minutes after I bitch at them.

Here in Finland we have Saunalahti huoleton, 30€ a month, 4g 200mbit/s unlimited data. Check out youtube Saunalahti Hintasaarnaajat for some funny commercials. They travel the US talking about the miracle of Saunalahti prices. It's quite a miracle indeed given that people have insane phone bills in the US compared to Europe!

Just asked people on Reddit who have the service and this is the response I am getting:

"I got billed my first month and it was $40 flat. Paid with PayPal."

So it appears to be $40 flat. Taxes are built into the bill.
Knowing the piece of shit Verizon is as a company... Its surprising, and I am sure they will have some crap already lined up.

Booo,

Only up to 5 Mbps

Screenshot_20180514-020526_1.png

Knowing the piece of shit Verizon is as a company... Its surprising, and I am sure they will have some crap already lined up.

I've been on Visible for a couple days now and i'm really happy with the service. I always wanted to keep Verizon in my area, but the service costs kept me away. I've tried Sprint, AT&T, and nothing is as good as Verizon in my area. Just switched from AT&T to Visible and I couldn't be happier with the service quality, internet is fast enough for everything I do, and i'm saving $80 a month.

Back