Verizon Kills Off Service Contracts. What Does This Mean For You?

My rates are pretty constant, actually. I have a basement apartment and effectively zero bars when indoors and I still get that speed. The only time I see my phone switching to 3G is when I go through the tunnels on the L.

(And yeah, Boost is wholly owned by Sprint, it's Sprint service without roaming, essentially) I was on Virgin Mobile before I went on Verizon and immediately regretted it. Stuck it out for two years and went to Boost because they had the better deal of the two. Better coverage, generally. Had plenty of dead spots in Chicago when I was on Verizon.

I know this isn't the rule for everywhere, but generally speaking... it's not out of the question to expect that speed tiers will be what we're eventually paying for. Makes much more sense than "buckets", that's for sure. (Which is why Verizon would never do it.)

Weird. I was just up there and I had pretty much no coverage on the subways (and I have sprint). I would occasionally end up on the extended network (roaming) but it was useless for data.

Then I go to the Verizon site and see ZERO difference. :rolleyes: When this is actually an option, I will look into it. However, for now, it is non existent.

I pay $15/mo + taxes on Ting.

Yes, but for WHAT?

Because when I go to the ting site, this is what I see: https://ting.com/rates

Minimum of $6 per device.

1-100 minutes is $3. That's $9.

1-100 texts is $3. That's $12.

1-100MB data is $3. That's $15.

So, basically, you're paying $15/mo + taxes to barely be able to use your phone.

If I were to slide that up to what I actually get for $35/mo on Boost...

$6 per device...

2101+ Minutes (since there is no "Unlimited") $35....

Whoops. Already blew the Boost budget.

4800 Texts is $11.

2GB is $30... and $15 per GB after.

$82 just to max out the offerings and it's still going to charge you more after.

It's actually cheaper just to stick with Verizon in this case.

The $20 charge isn't the payment on the phone it's an extra fee for having a phone to use the plan. It bothers me that you didn't read the details of the true costs of the plan and assumed I was thinking I was getting a free phone. I've been buying my phones out right for about 5 years now

It bothers me that you dont know what the $20 surcharge is for. Your ignorance of this matter is exactly why Tmobile is able to get away with the "no contract" ploy, which is total hogwash. Guess what happens when you cancel your Tmobile "non-contract" after buying an iphone6 with them? You are charged the remaining balance of the iphone6, we'll say $500 for example. Guess what happens when you cancel your Verizon contract after buying an iphone6 wit them? You are charged an "early termination fee" which just so happens to be exactly the amount of the remaining balance.

Please think about this for a second, since it seems to be an area of great difficulty for most citizens to process. Verizon charges you an ETF, Tmobile charges you for the phone. What's the difference? You can bring your own phone to Verizon and deduct the $20 surcharge too.

Wow. I have Straight Talk and I pay $47 for unlimited talk/txt and 5GB data.
Yeah but my service works virtually everywhere I go. One of the running gags at my work involves my work having an AT&T corporate account and encouraging employees to use AT&T, but in the building, AT&T has no signal. I mean literally zero bars. They had to install a bunch of goofy repeaters just to get people service, and they are consumer devices with consumer reliability and manageability (ie. they are bad).

Meanwhile, not only do I have 3-4 bars at my desk and in 95% of the building, but I can take a call, get in the elevator, the call will go silent, but when I get out of the elevator, it picks right back up. I've shown people this in action and they are always surprised.

And my work still pays my bill, so woohoo.

Yes, but for WHAT?

Because when I go to the ting site, this is what I see: https://ting.com/rates

Minimum of $6 per device.

1-100 minutes is $3. That's $9.

1-100 texts is $3. That's $12.

1-100MB data is $3. That's $15.

So, basically, you're paying $15/mo + taxes to barely be able to use your phone.

If I were to slide that up to what I actually get for $35/mo on Boost...

$6 per device...

2101+ Minutes (since there is no "Unlimited") $35....

Whoops. Already blew the Boost budget.

4800 Texts is $11.

2GB is $30... and $15 per GB after.

$82 just to max out the offerings and it's still going to charge you more after.

It's actually cheaper just to stick with Verizon in this case.

Ting people will just claim they are on Wifi 99% of the time and don't need actual cellular services

Ting people will just claim they are on Wifi 99% of the time and don't need actual cellular services

If you work in an office, you could realistically be off network most of the time. I don't think Ting would work for me, but I've got a friend who uses it and he and his wife rarely go over 30 bucks (per line).

For some, a family plan or Verizon's bucket plan may work out well, but for people with only 1 or 2 lines the cost is high.

The other issue is, of course, the network. If you're in an AT&T area, then AT&T or Cricket is probably your best bet. If they suck in your area, then maybe T-Mobile or in some areas even Sprint. Of course if you're not paying, then maybe Verizon is the shit.

I am just going to the bnr near where I do my shopping. If you get a human they are more easy to "persuade".

I hadn't heard of Ting before.

Just checked it out.

According to their published rates, for the ~75 minutes, ~1000 text messages and ~1.5GB of data I use in a month on average, I'd probably halve my Verizon bill.

Not a bad deal. I might check it out when my contract with Verizon expires.

Heck, at that price, it may even be worth the early termination fee, if the coverage/service is any good...

Zarathustra[H];1041783660 said:
I hadn't heard of Ting before.

Just checked it out.

According to their published rates, for the ~75 minutes, ~1000 text messages and ~1.5GB of data I use in a month on average, I'd probably halve my Verizon bill.

Not a bad deal. I might check it out when my contract with Verizon expires.

Heck, at that price, it may even be worth the early termination fee, if the coverage/service is any good...

Might as well look at https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans too. There's another one, (Straight Talk?) that also is supposed to have good pricing...not sure what networks they use.

If Ting is less than 35 after tax, then it's better than Cricket (for you).

I'm on Airvoice (AT&T MVNO) with unlimited talk/text + 100MB for $20/mo. I use very little data, so it works for me. When I see that Verizon's *smallest* plan is $50, yeesh.

One question: if SWMBO and I wanted to share data, it'd be $30 (for the 1GB) + ($20/phone * 2 phones) = $70/mo, right?

In this case, it's a shared data plan, so if you're not sharing the date with multiple subs, it's not worth it. That said, most of the companies doing this have crappy BYOD plans. IMO, over 24 months, you have to save at least 450 dollars, or it's a ripoff.

Perhaps Verizon will come out with more plans that aren't shared buckets...and maybe those will cost less

Yes its not worth it, I have unlimited data with sprint. I don't use data that much ~5gb/mo but my daughter streams netflix on her phone on our 1 hour commute.

The only people not getting an automatic price reduction after 2 years with VZW are those on grandfathered plans. If you are on a standard plan right now and it has been more than 2 years and you havent seen a price reduction, you need to call VZW and ask them whats up, it's supposed to be automatic.

The only people not getting an automatic price reduction after 2 years with VZW are those on grandfathered plans. If you are on a standard plan right now and it has been more than 2 years and you havent seen a price reduction, you need to call VZW and ask them whats up, it's supposed to be automatic.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying.

You have to call and ask for the subsidy to be removed once the two year term is complete. Bought my mother a new phone in December and she didn't need to upgrade, so I had her call Verizon. Bill went down $25/mo.

So you had to contact them for them to hold up to their contractual agreement? And if you don't, they continue to charge you simply because you didn't tell them to stop? How is this kind of business practice legal??

So you had to contact them for them to hold up to their contractual agreement? And if you don't, they continue to charge you simply because you didn't tell them to stop? How is this kind of business practice legal??

Newer plans likely have a monthly fee that expires after 18 or 24 months. older plans had no concept of that. The subsidy was internally factored into your MRC, but it wasn't something that went away. If you didn't get a new phone, you still paid for it.

As a result, I suspect those that have to call up are getting some sort of a discount after the fact. Most likely it's written in such a way that it's incompatible with a phone subsidy (thus to get a subsidized phone the discount must be removed)

Anyway, that's my best guess, but it's possible that it's a bug in their billing s/w or process. You'd think this stuff would be straight forward, but it's endlessly complicated and often buggy

TMO + 100minute/5GB plan + Hangouts Voice for $30 FTW

I'm still on the same 100min+5GB for $30 and, aside from Straight Talk, I haven't been able to find a plan from another provider that offers as much LTE data for a similar price. The only annoying thing is the low amount of minutes. Definitely need to give Hangouts a try for that.

I switched to Ting at the beginning of the year, my bills have been ~$20-30/month. I mainly text and use wifi at work and home. Beats paying $80/month with Sprint for the same amount of usage. Ting will work for some, not for others. My usage was low enough where its worth it for me to be on Ting. I was previously on Sprint so I initially didn't have to buy a phone to move to Ting, but I did have to spend some out of pocket to buy a phone when my old phone crapped out. I still expect to save ~$600 by the end of the year at the current rate.

I think I get what the naysayers are talking about. Line Access Fee is not the Monthly Device Payment, hence people saying that they don't know what this fee is for and it seems odd. Seems like now you'll buy a "family" plan rather you like it or not and that's it. I never thought these kinds of plans were good for either a single plan on a single device, or a single person with multiple devices. While I have no problem with there being a price needed for multiple devices, I think the first device should be included. I also do not agree with the different Line Access Fees for different devices. What does it matter if I consume all my plan data and or text/sms/voice from a smart phone, tablet, or connected device/hotspot.

The more I look at it the more I have to agree this is just a shift in numbers to make you feel better. Also The press release doesn't state if they are changing the practice of forcing you to get data with everything.

I can't find their old pricing, although I can look up my service it has no bearing in this. What were the old access plans plans and access fees like, shared and single.

I switched to Ting at the beginning of the year, my bills have been ~$20-30/month. I mainly text and use wifi at work and home. Beats paying $80/month with Sprint for the same amount of usage. Ting will work for some, not for others. My usage was low enough where its worth it for me to be on Ting. I was previously on Sprint so I initially didn't have to buy a phone to move to Ting, but I did have to spend some out of pocket to buy a phone when my old phone crapped out. I still expect to save ~$600 by the end of the year at the current rate.

I'm considering paying the remaining Early Termination Fee of $125 (and getying 25% of it back from Ting) and making the switch. I have a Verizon Droid Turbo though, which I know is not identical to Sprints frequencies.

I ran my IMEI number through their checker, and it suggests 2g and 4g will work, but not 3g.

So I am trying to figure out how good their 4g coverage is, as I wouldn't have any 3g to fall back on.

Their coverage map looks great on their webpage, but experience has taught me not to trust coverage maps, as they ALWAYS look great. I'm sitting in the middle of solid green LTE on Verizon's map right now, but my actual signal? 2 bars of 3g...

"Customers said they don’t want to have to do a lot of math to figure out their best options, and we heard them."

If this is the case, Verizon is still fucked. People turn into deer in headlights when Verizon reps start trying to explain to people how the phone service and the phone cost aren't coupled together. Oh and of course the "Line access charge" is just a third variable to throw in there. Then top that off by telling people they can use any phone they want as long as it is a Verizon phone since their network is CDMA...

So in the end customers are paying $45 for 3GB of data, $20 line access fee, and then $20 to $30 a month for a top end phone, and not looking at a lot more choices than they currently have. That ends up right around $85 to $95 before taxes, and it really isn't a good deal or much better than what current single line plans are.

Verizon is just moving numbers around so people think they might be getting a good deal.

Nothing. I haven't had a contract phone for years and years. I'm interested in TCO. I'm willing to pay more for things up front to save substantially in the long run. If you say its too "expensive" to pay up front, then you can't afford it. Save more and come back later.

What service have you had for years and years that gives you a discount if you buy your device up front?

What service have you had for years and years that gives you a discount if you buy your device up front?

Up until recently most of the big guys charged you the same rate whether you took advantage of their equipment discount or not, which is why I did it, even though I would have preferred - by far - to divorce the two.

T-mobile I think was the only exception. They have had a monthly discount for those who brought their own phone for years. Then haven't advertised it much though, but it has been there. I would have used them, but I wasn't willing to step down from my excellent coverage in order to do so.

These days, Verizon no longer has as much of a ridiculously large advantage in network coverage, to the point where I am willing to consider these other networks.

Zarathustra[H];1041785738 said:
I'm considering paying the remaining Early Termination Fee of $125 (and getying 25% of it back from Ting) and making the switch. I have a Verizon Droid Turbo though, which I know is not identical to Sprints frequencies.

I ran my IMEI number through their checker, and it suggests 2g and 4g will work, but not 3g.

So I am trying to figure out how good their 4g coverage is, as I wouldn't have any 3g to fall back on.

Their coverage map looks great on their webpage, but experience has taught me not to trust coverage maps, as they ALWAYS look great. I'm sitting in the middle of solid green LTE on Verizon's map right now, but my actual signal? 2 bars of 3g...

Unless you only use your phone in a small area, you'll probably want a new phone. When I travel, I regularly drop to 3G (on highways I sometimes drop to 1x). I'd sell your phone and by another on Swappa (not in that order)

Are there any MVNOs that work on the Verizon network and are relatively cheap for a single line and a 1-5 GB of data?

So...I dont get another free phone, as I did when I first signed, after my 2yr contract is up?! Boogers!

Are there any MVNOs that work on the Verizon network and are relatively cheap for a single line and a 1-5 GB of data?

Look into PagePlus and just recently Walmart has launched Total Wireless, which is suspected to be a Verizon MVNO

"A Total Wireless spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and a Verizon spokesman did not immediately have a comment. However, Total Wireless' coverage map closely resembles Verizon's' map (and is even in red, Verizon's corporate color). The Total Wireless website also says that it provides nationwide coverage on "America's largest, most reliable network," language similar to that Verizon uses in its marketing."

I didn't say I got a discount (as in a discount from the carrier), I said I haven't had a contract phone for years and years, which is true. I stated I was interested in the TCO (total cost of ownership). Of course service quality matters, but once that is met, cheaper over time is better.

I've had:
  • I used PT MVNO from Mid 2010-Early 2012 on some Android 1.6 phone.
  • I used Straight Talk from Early 2012-March 2015. (AT&T Towers). Used an iPhone 4 and a Nexus 4.
  • T-Mobile: March 2015-Now. Use a Nexus 5.

It all comes down to economics. Let's consider this new Verizon pricing scheme. For an average user with a single phone on a monthly basis, you're looking at $45 for 3 GB data, $20 for the access, then add in a device payoff (say your phone costs $500) of ~$20 for 24 months. Oh then add Verizon's extra bullshit "fees" and your looking at another $10-15. Just for sake of argument I'll use the low end on the fees and say your total is ~$95/mo

On an MVNO (lets take straight talk), You pay for your device outright, so again say $500 upfront, then you pay your service fees, which amounted to ~$46.50/mo. with taxes and fees (unlimted talk/text, 5 GB data).

Let's look at the math over the 24 month time span (the amount of time it takes you to pay off your Verizon phone).
Verizon: $95 x 24 = $2280
MVNO: ($46.50 x 24) + $500 = $1616
Savings: $664

Yes, you have to put up that cash for your phone up front, but the long term savings are pretty substantial. If you focus on TCO on all major purchases you'll end up quite a bit better off in the long run.

I currently have Metro PCS. I have a family plan and pay $125 a month for 3 lines.

Two lines have unlimited 4G LTE and the other is a dumb phone with 2 GB of 4G LTE that goes unsed.

I use about 16GB of data a month, but my brother uses close to 40GB a month. He enjoys watching YouTube wherever he is. The third phone is my mother's line and she refuses to let me get her a smartphone because she says they are too complicated for her to use.

I have a promotional plan Metro PCS had where you purchased a 4G LTE Metro PCS branded phone you would pay $50/month instead of $60/month.

$50 + $50 + $40 = $140 - $15 (family plan - $5 per line) = $125

I do see that metro has a new $30 plan so I am going to switch my mother's plan and drop my bill to $115/month

If I was on Verizon, this would be very expensive.But Verizon does have excellent coverage. On the rare occasions we've been on road trips out of town my friend would have 3g service with Verizon where I would have no data at all.

Maybe its because I am dumb but I don't see how this new plan benefits most customers in the long term.

Maybe its because I am dumb but I don't see how this new plan benefits most customers in the long term.

because it doesn't. they have made it where the customer is paying the same, if not more, since they have to buy the phone outright now.

because it doesn't. they have made it where the customer is paying the same, if not more, since they have to buy the phone outright now.

Agreed.

These plans make perfect sense and give the customer more flexibility if the monthly fees actually go down sufficiently such that they truly represent only the aervice side of the bill.

True, you now have to pay for the handset up front, but if that's a problem, maybe you shouldn't be buying a fancy new phone plan to begin with.

The problem is that Verizon has removed the hardware discount but hasn't reduced the service cost nearly enough to properly reflect service costs, meaning that this is really just a price increase in disguise.

Those additional $7-$12 in fees are just governtment taxes levied against them over the years being passed along to you. MNVO companies like Metropcs arent subjected to this since they arent the actual carrier, they are just leasing time from Verizon/ATT/Tmobile.

But they ultimately pay these one way or the other correct? Why do the big carriers get to pass the cost directly to consumers. Also what is a billing charge? Sprint charges this, it has nothing to do with taxes or government AFAIK.

I don't go to my customers and say oh the government charges me 30% for income taxes so that $1000 quote I gave you is actually $1300.

But they ultimately pay these one way or the other correct? Why do the big carriers get to pass the cost directly to consumers. Also what is a billing charge? Sprint charges this, it has nothing to do with taxes or government AFAIK.

I don't go to my customers and say oh the government charges me 30% for income taxes so that $1000 quote I gave you is actually $1300.

Billing charge is one of Bend over and squeal charges. They're charging you to bill you. This is one of the many things that Telecoms do because they can. My company charges some of our customers (mostly the poorest ones) to pay us cash. We charge you every time you pay us cash. Why? Because we can.

Now if the masses complained, we'd stop doing it. There's code to turn it off, but we ask you to bend over and you say, "ooh baby," so we wait a while and then we find a new fee to add on.

Let's look at the math over the 24 month time span (the amount of time it takes you to pay off your Verizon phone).
Verizon: $95 x 24 = $2280
MVNO: ($46.50 x 24) + $500 = $1616
Savings: $664

Yes, you have to put up that cash for your phone up front, but the long term savings are pretty substantial. If you focus on TCO on all major purchases you'll end up quite a bit better off in the long run.

Well this isnt an entirely fair comparison. ST has a lower monthly access fee than VZW. VZW will sell you an iphone6 outright for $650, or they will charge you $200 down payment and spread the rest over 24 months. So whether you are on contract or not the plans cost the same. The only difference is if you sign up through VZW they charge you more than if you use ST on VZW network. They are able to get away with this because they are subsidizing the phone at equal retail value, and presumably your network access gets priority over MNVO subscribers, which I imagine is highly subjective.

Well this isnt an entirely fair comparison. ST has a lower monthly access fee than VZW. VZW will sell you an iphone6 outright for $650, or they will charge you $200 down payment and spread the rest over 24 months. So whether you are on contract or not the plans cost the same. The only difference is if you sign up through VZW they charge you more than if you use ST on VZW network. They are able to get away with this because they are subsidizing the phone at equal retail value, and presumably your network access gets priority over MNVO subscribers, which I imagine is highly subjective.

The phone subsidy ranges from $25 to $35 a month depending on the phone.

So if you're paying $200 up front for the phone and paying the rest over 24 months... You're paying another $600 to $840 for the device on top of the up front payment.

Back