Verizon Is Offering Netflix In New Cable Bundle

HardOCP News

[H] News
So what do you guys think of Verizon bundling Netflix? Genius or desperate?

Verizon FiOS has a new offer that shows how the bundle isn't dead yet, and that the changing media economy is set to create some uneasy alliances. Analysts at BTIG Research (free registration required) noticed over the weekend that Verizon was offering a year of Netflix as part of its "triple play" package for Internet, television and phone.

I think it is a sign of the times. Netflix is a premium channel now, so why not treat it like one.

I'm a Verizon customer and I already watch my Netflix on my phone so exactly what is it they are doing again? Bundling?

So after the first year they would charge me extra for the Bundle even though I am already a Netflix customer?

I am thinking I will be looking for this bundle in Feb when it's time for me to renew my Verizon account, looking to make sure I don't get bundled :D

Ya you'll get "bundled" and instead of paying Netflix $20 a month, you'll pay Verizon $10. Hey, good deal! Then over the next three years, more fees will show up as Netflix can no longer get subscriptions on their own - Netflix gets $2 per subscriber and your bundle with fees now costs an additional $34.99 a month.

Same old BS from the carriers.

I'd rather go to a model where there's real competition for broadband, including municipal broadband, and all channels can just go a la carte, or work together to make small bundles for a fixed price.

Ya you'll get "bundled" and instead of paying Netflix $20 a month, you'll pay Verizon $10. Hey, good deal! Then over the next three years, more fees will show up as Netflix can no longer get subscriptions on their own - Netflix gets $2 per subscriber and your bundle with fees now costs an additional $34.99 a month.

Same old BS from the carriers.

My Netflix is like $9 a month, and I think the move here is to force people to pay for both so that they can't watch their Netflix on their phone unless they pay Verizon a cut. It's their way of making some on the side while they promise you all that unlimited bandwidth. Use all the bandwidth you want as long as you pay through the nose for all the services you want to run through it.

I hate the word bundle. I always think of the fat guy from American Picker's yelling bundler and honeyhole.

You guys do realize that this is Verizon FiOS and not Verizon Wireless right?
This is for watching netflix on your TV...not your phone...

I wonder if this also includes the VPN you need in order to actually get Netflix to stream well over their lines.

After the year, they'll charge you $15 for Netflix as part of the quadruple play bundle...but if you unbundle and "lose the bundle discounts!" it'll be $20 more expensive to NOT pay for Netflix.

Bullshit ass monopoly pricing, need to resurrect Teddy Roosevelt from the grave. I can see the movie pitch now...

"100 years ago, one man slew corporate titans with the strength of his office. Now, with their power again growing unchecked, one man stirs in his grave..."

Doesn't matter if it's FIOS or cell phones. Both have data packages, and all you need for Netflix is data. What consumers DON'T need, is cable companies turning Netflix into a "channel" so they can squeeze the consumers and Netflix both. This is nothing more than an attempt to control something they don't have control over. Same reason data caps exist.

Doesn't matter if it's FIOS or cell phones. Both have data packages, and all you need for Netflix is data. What consumers DON'T need, is cable companies turning Netflix into a "channel" so they can squeeze the consumers and Netflix both. This is nothing more than an attempt to control something they don't have control over. Same reason data caps exist.

double thumbs up.

I am on Comcast 'Blast'(105 Mb/s)and usenet(mostly use DUTplanet/binsearch since NZB Index went tits up). I download 500/800 gB's/mo. and nary a peep from Comcast.

I keep expecting a nasty letter from Comcast , but haven't gotten one yet after a couple of years.

I expect that this gravy train will end one of these days ... but until then , I'll just keep on doing my thing.

i think thats pretty smart and cool as well. i wouldn't mind having netflix streaming as part of my cable bundle

double thumbs up.

I am on Comcast 'Blast'(105 Mb/s)and usenet(mostly use DUTplanet/binsearch since NZB Index went tits up). I download 500/800 gB's/mo. and nary a peep from Comcast.

I keep expecting a nasty letter from Comcast , but haven't gotten one yet after a couple of years.

I expect that this gravy train will end one of these days ... but until then , I'll just keep on doing my thing.

nzbdrone plus a few good indexers and cable is useless.

I wonder if this also includes the VPN you need in order to actually get Netflix to stream well over their lines.

This is my thought. I'm seriously confused right now. How the hell did it go from them fighting to being friends and bundling together? I don't have FIOS so I have no idea if they have fixed the issues with not being able to get HD from Netflix due to saturated connections, however, it would be idiotic if that was still going on and they decided to bundle it. I wonder if Verizon finally caved and fixed the issue and is now trying to look good again by offering it in a bundle so people forget about the clusterfuck they created before.

Back