Verizon Is Disconnecting 8,500 Customers Who Need Its Service the Most

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Verizon is booting customers over data use, including some on “unlimited” plans: the carrier has confirmed that it’s disconnecting 8,500 customers in rural areas, thanks to excessive domestic data roaming on Verizon partner networks. It pays roaming fees to the partner networks for Verizon customers to use those networks, and in some cases, those fees are getting excessive.

“Approximately 8,500 customers – using a variety of plans – were notified this month that we would no longer be their service provider after October 17, 2017,” Verizon director of corporate communications Kelly Crummey said. “These customers live in 13 states (Alaska, Idaho, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Utah and Wisconsin) and in areas outside of where Verizon operates our own network.”

Well the people are roaming, so they don’t “need its service the most” since Verizon isn’t in those areas. The cell users could just use another network.

Well the people are roaming, so they don’t “need its service the most” since Verizon isn’t in those areas. The cell users could just use another network.

Where I live in NC it is Verizon or US Cellular. When you go to shop for food it is at least a 35 - 45 mile trip one way. For stylish clothes it is a 1.5 hour trip one way. So you will switch towers from Verizon to US Cellular quite often.

What if US Cellular does the same thing as these companies copy each other quite often? That means that some people will have no cellphone service in this area. And most of the areas don't have access to dial up internet; please refrain from even mentioning the words broadband. That's why they use cellphone data.

So it is a little more convoluted than just "Find another provider." Especially true when there is only 1 or 2 solutions.

And also that they serve rural customers better than any other carrier in the US as well, so, yeah, basically lying out their asses. Recently they were not voted the most reliable network nor the fastest IIRC, I think AT&T came out ahead as most reliable overall and T-Mobile ended up taking the speed crown so, all I can think of that Verizon is top of the heap at would be their pricing which is higher than the competition across the board the last time I checked.

"Charging more for sub-standard service across the nation, that's Verizon - soon with even less customers given the boot in areas we claim to serve better than our competition!" ;)

Wireless service is not, and should not be used as a substitute for broadband. These people need real broadband in their areas.

As an aside, I also don't understand why anyone stays in these places. If an address doesn't have reliable fast cable or fiber broadband, there is no way in hell I would ever live there, even if it were free.

Wireless service is not, and should not be used as a substitute for broadband. These people need real broadband in their areas.

As an aside, I also don't understand why anyone stays in these places. If an address doesn't have reliable fast cable or fiber broadband, there is no way in hell I would ever live there, even if it were free.

Not everyone enjoys living in the city? Also you would be surprised just how many places get skipped in a scenario of cable on both ends of the street but skips a mile right in the middle for no good reason. I had to fight the cable company for years to hook my parents up in this situation. They wanted $25,000 because they skipped one house for no reason. There are 3 large new subdivisions, 3 churches, a school and a city gym on their road so they aren't terribly rural. Yet until a storm took out 3 telephone poles and my dad and I complained to the city they were skipping his house again they only had dialup. They have had cable for only 2 years now. The rest of the road has always had it.

Not everyone enjoys living in the city? Also you would be surprised just how many places get skipped in a scenario of cable on both ends of the street but skips a mile right in the middle for no good reason. I had to fight the cable company for years to hook my parents up in this situation. They wanted $25,000 because they skipped one house for no reason. There are 3 large new subdivisions, 3 churches, a school and a city gym on their road so they aren't terribly rural. Yet until a storm took out 3 telephone poles and my dad and I complained to the city they were skipping his house again they only had dialup. They have had cable for only 2 years now. The rest of the road has always had it.

The house we own is right beside a school with Fiber. We aren't eligible for it because we are too far away they say. So I rent a home in another town. I'm thinking of moving back if some stars align, but I'm in no hurry.

People living in rural areas complaining about lack of services. Always makes me LOL

People living in rural areas complaining about lack of services. Always makes me LOL

People living in big cities complaining about crime rates make me LOL...

Se how stupid that line of reasoning is. If you think people should have to move to the city to get internet (and shouldn't be able to change anything to get it), than why not demand that people move out of the city to get away for all the theft and murder (without being allowed to change laws to fix it).

I absolutely despise living in big cities. I don't even like being in them when I can help it. I live in a city with a population under 1,000 right now and I freaking love it. CenturyLink is complete ass, but I'll deal with them vs living in a big city.

I absolutely despise living in big cities. I don't even like being in them when I can help it. I live in a city with a population under 1,000 right now and I freaking love it. CenturyLink is complete ass, but I'll deal with them vs living in a big city.

Fair enough.

You don't need to live in the middle of a big city to get good broadband though. The outskirts tend to have decent broadband too.

Personally I've enjoyed living in the city, but hate going into the city now that I live outside. Both driving there and parking is a pain in the ass.

That being said, I love access to all the amenities you get by living close to a large city. I'm enjoying living in the close-in suburbs. I tend to dislike the emptiness of rural areas though. I went to school in a more rural area and I have no desire to ever go back.

Because there are thousands of people in each of the affected states that are willing to live in those areas and do the jobs, like gas, electric, farming/livestock, etc that is vital for those that live in bigger communities like cities.

Ironic...the people getting booted are responsible for keeping the lights on at places like Verizon retail/service centers and juice flowing to the very cell towers in these remote areas that they are being cut off from using.

Fair enough.

You don't need to live in the middle of a big city to get good broadband though. The outskirts tend to have decent broadband too.

Personally I've enjoyed living in the city, but hate going into the city now that I live outside. Both driving there and parking is a pain in the ass.

That being said, I love access to all the amenities you get by living close to a large city. I'm enjoying living in the close-in suburbs. I tend to dislike the emptiness of rural areas though. I went to school in a more rural area and I have no desire to ever go back.

The amenities of bigger cities are nice, but I like the peace and quiet offered in rural places. I really don't like the hussle and bussle of big city life. People are in so much of a dang hurry that they don't take the time to just relax and enjoy their surroundings. Its hard to just walk around and enjoy things in big cities. Outskirts might be an option for me sometime in the future though. Minneapolis has some nice suburbs that might fit my likes, or even some of the smaller communities just outside of the area.

People living in big cities complaining about the price of living in the big city always makes me LOL.

Having grown up outside of a big city, being in it, working in one and working where I work now, I'll take living out in my rural area over big city life. People are nicer, fire engines and cop sirens aren't what I hear every couple hours at night anymore, and my money goes a hell of a lot farther. My wife and I would have to make nearly double what we do now to keep a hole-in-the-wall apartment where I grew up and it's not even the actual city. Food cost is also significantly lower, and I am a foodie. We have broadband, but Sprint is the only cellular network that actually works worth a damn out here. Not that I have a problem with Sprint, they've been my carrier of choice for over 11 years now, but some people prefer T-Mobile or Verizon. They'd have to switch if they moved out here. For me it's not a big deal. If I had to gripe about anything service wise, it'd be that the local DSL provider is still a joke compared to Comcast in terms of overall service. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being bought out or ran out of town.

People living in big cities complaining about the price of living in the big city always makes me LOL.

Having grown up outside of a big city, being in it, working in one and working where I work now, I'll take living out in my rural area over big city life. People are nicer, fire engines and cop sirens aren't what I hear every couple hours at night anymore, and my money goes a hell of a lot farther. My wife and I would have to make nearly double what we do now to keep a hole-in-the-wall apartment where I grew up and it's not even the actual city. Food cost is also significantly lower, and I am a foodie. We have broadband, but Sprint is the only cellular network that actually works worth a damn out here. Not that I have a problem with Sprint, they've been my carrier of choice for over 11 years now, but some people prefer T-Mobile or Verizon. They'd have to switch if they moved out here. For me it's not a big deal. If I had to gripe about anything service wise, it'd be that the local DSL provider is still a joke compared to Comcast in terms of overall service. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being bought out or ran out of town.

There are options somewhere in between being a City Mouse and a Country Mouse you know...

I couldn't live in the sticks. I'd feel too far away and cut off from everything with fewer amenities and access to fewer things I like. Heck, the variety and quality of restaurants of different cultures start dropping off once you get only a half an hour from the city.

Heck, I live within 15 minutes of a restaurant from just about any culture you would desire, within 10 minutes by car of a Microcenter, a camera rental place, etc. etc. Having access to all of these things are just something I couldn't give up. Besides, the silence emptiness and darkness out in the sticks is just creepy.

I don't live downtown in a big city though. I live in a close in suburb. It allows me to afford living in a single family home, while still having access to all the city has to offer, including decent broadband.

Why? Is their desire to have good internet access somehow unreasonable just because they don't live in a major city? Not having internet is a pretty big deal (unless you don't care).

People living in big cities complaining about crime rates make me LOL...

Se how stupid that line of reasoning is. If you think people should have to move to the city to get internet (and shouldn't be able to change anything to get it), than why not demand that people move out of the city to get away for all the theft and murder (without being allowed to change laws to fix it).
They can't change it... that's why god created suburbs... for people who want internet and don't want to get mugged for wearing a nice watch.

There are options somewhere in between being a City Mouse and a Country Mouse you know...

I couldn't live in the sticks. I'd feel too far away and cut off from everything with fewer amenities and access to fewer things I like. Heck, the variety and quality of restaurants of different cultures start dropping off once you get only a half an hour from the city.

Heck, I live within 15 minutes of a restaurant from just about any culture you would desire, within 10 minutes by car of a Microcenter, a camera rental place, etc. etc. Having access to all of these things are just something I couldn't give up. Besides, the silence emptiness and darkness out in the sticks is just creepy.

I don't live downtown in a big city though. I live in a close in suburb. It allows me to afford living in a single family home, while still having access to all the city has to offer, including decent broadband.

It's like some of these people never heard of "suburbs" lol. It's a nice mixture of access to what you need but not like a city. I live in New Jersey, most of the state is a big suburb. You have New York to the north of us and Philadelpha (where I am close to) to the south west. I say most because once you hit the pineys it feels like your in some Appalachian mountain twilight zone. Seriously, they love putting "piney power" on their bumpers with the rebel flag. Someone forgot to tell them we were on the North side.

BTW, Verizon FIOS did fuck over NJ. They promised to run fiber throughout the state but they didn't. So I use comcrapstic, it could be worse I guess

It's like some of these people never heard of "suburbs" lol. It's a nice mixture of access to what you need but not like a city. I live in New Jersey, most of the state is a big suburb. You have New York to the north of us and Philadelpha (where I am close to) to the south west. I say most because once you hit the pineys it feels like your in some Appalachian mountain twilight zone. Seriously, they love putting "piney power" on their bumpers with the rebel flag. Someone forgot to tell them we were on the North side.

BTW, Verizon FIOS did fuck over NJ. They promised to run fiber throughout the state but they didn't. So I use comcrapstic, it could be worse I guess

Sound pretty nice. Sorry to hear about the great NJ Verizon fuckover. Downstream looks nice, but that 12Mbit upstream has to hurt.

I have some friends that took one in the ass on this. They just got a letter saying they had til October 16th to port their number to a new carrier. After that they could not. Some live within 5 miles of interstates. Verizon just chooses not to put towers up for those customers. The only other provider that has coverage in that area is Appalachian WIreless, but they do not have unlimited data and the plans are very expensive for what you get. The only good thing out of this is that Verizon paid off all devices on their plans and they get to keep them.

Maybe where you live, but not where I'm at. I grew up in a suburb, and frankly I don't miss it. I miss being with my friends and family obviously, and Chicago style food. Other than that, I have no motivators to ever move back. The suburb I grew up in was not cheap, people don't know how to drive, and other than eating, there wasn't a damn thing to do in it once the bowling alley went out of business.

We have a decent variety of food where I'm at now, and it's not far if I want a wider selection. Out here, if you make $12-14 an hour or better, you can get a two bedroom house with a decent acreage if you're willing to save up a couple grand to put down. Back in the suburb where I'm from, my buddy had to have almost 50K in the bank as a down-payment before a realtor would even talk to him, and his credit is practically gold.

It's like some of these people never heard of "suburbs" lol.

Not all suburbs are created equal. The one I grew up in may as well be called Mini-Chicago now.

I don't know where some of the you are living that you hear sirens all the time.....(or did if you moved out)
Just because it's the city doesn't mean you have high crime.
I love where I am at right now. I can walk across the street to my dentist a grocery store and everything else right around me.

Why? Is their desire to have good internet access somehow unreasonable just because they don't live in a major city? Not having internet is a pretty big deal (unless you don't care).
It's a big deal and you've moved to a place without it.

You've sacrificed certain comforts. Sorry for them.

The question of whether or not a provider should have coverage in a particular area, especially if they make boastful claims about said coverage, is one for another time.

In this discussion though, if the provider has no coverage in the areas these people live in, then it truly does make no sense for them to be signed up. As much as I feel for the individuals concerned, being someone who lives in a rural area also, the carrier should either A: extend coverage to those areas, or B: end the contracts.

one of the things is that there is the possibility that verizon because they have carrier agreements are able to make it so the phone doesn't display say uscellular or another brands tower name while they are in the agreed roaming areas. I don't know all the facts on this but there also the possibility that some of these people are completely unaware they are even "roaming". I would not put it past verizon or any other cell company to do something like that blaming it all on the customer for roaming and not even let that customer know they are roaming.

it's kind of like people who put halloween candy out on their front porch but are watching through the window to make sure that kids don't take more than they want them to take.

It more then that the price are extremely expensive for any kind real broadband speed for rural areas and you SIR should not be a stuck up snob.
The tower in ZIP code 41314 (Booneville, KY) are East Kentucky Network, LLC (Appalachian Wireless Cell) and New Cingular Wireless PCS LLC (AT&T Wireless Cell).
We all know that those cell service pay a flat rate for there unmetered bandwidth.
Now it seem that the small regional carriers maybe be wise up and are starting take advantage of them oh ain't karma a bitch LoL and Verizon is tick off.
There both just try to milk user out every dime they can after all the cost for the equipment and power usage to run them 24/7 doesn't changes, when was the last time you saw a web hosting used data caps?? they all petty much are unmetered bandwidth now days.

Unlimited means just what it mean it just that the carriers are make there up there own definition to the rules to unlimited meaning which is BS just like some hardwire service ISP.
By all rights carriers should be using the word limited weather not it data cap cut off or data cap with throttled down to ultra low speed 128k.
You do know there making million dollar a day as net income and guest where that net income goes it called end of year big fat CEO bonus who all ready makes well over a millions dollar a per-month

Last edited:

They stole millions from PA also a few years back.

It's a big deal and you've moved to a place without it.

You've sacrificed certain comforts. Sorry for them.

It's like you keep ignoring the idea that even serviced areas have unexplainable gaps for no reason because it doesn't suit your agenda of ignorance.

I'm in San Diego but I can't tell if I'm technically in a suburb or the city?

The house we own is right beside a school with Fiber. We aren't eligible for it because we are too far away they say. So I rent a home in another town. I'm thinking of moving back if some stars align, but I'm in no hurry.
Sounds like someone needs to either a) covertly dig a trench to the schools box and then run a wire back to your house, or b) break into the school, hide the fastest wireless route you can in a crawl space or someplace never to be found :D

edit: Or part of a and b, pull a wire from inside a room nearest to your property and trench it to your house, then worry about the school's IT guys wondering why there's so much data usage from the Kindergarten bungalows :D

Last edited:
The desire is not unreasonable, what is unreasonable is to expect all the amenities of city life be available now you might not want ALL of them obviously, but you would want some. And again the desire for them is not unreasonable however the cost to run necessities to rural areas like electricity can be hard enough, you have to dig a hole in the ground to get your water usually, and you literally keep all your shit and piss on your property as well, that alone says you're really not connected to the "modern world", and I can tell you the power companies in most cases wouldn't want to run power to you if there weren't laws that make them regardless of if you pay for the cost to move a line from their nearest source.

So when you get to something like internet, it does seem a little unreasonable to demand good service. But I would place it in the same category as everyone who end(ed) up whining when Google fiber didn't come to their city, yeah there was desire to have it but you don't need to have it to survive.

Back