Verizon Hiking Unlimited Data Plans By $20

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have bad news for anyone that is still on Verizon's unlimited data plan. Starting in November, your monthly bill is going by $20.

The drastic increase, 66 percent, will affect some of its long-time customers who have until now survived the company's efforts to lure them away from prized unlimited plans in the era of data-gobbling mobile apps. Customers will see the higher price on their bills starting Nov. 15.

Last edited:
My desire to drop my smartphone and verizon just went up by 66% as well. I'm probably done with them as soon as my contract is over, I'm sick of their bullshit.

Essentially, They are increasing their prices as a way of throwing a tantrum against the FCC calling out their shit. They will try to say "The FCC made us do it" to try to make people's opinions turn against the new laws and regulations, when really, the 'data goblers' represent no real issue but corporations gunna corporate.

Essentially, They are increasing their prices as a way of throwing a tantrum against the FCC calling out their shit. They will try to say "The FCC made us do it" to try to make people's opinions turn against the new laws and regulations, when really, the 'data goblers' represent no real issue but corporations gunna corporate.

Sometimes corporations are so full of themselves they believe they can get away with anything. Their hubris is astonishing. All Verizon did was remind their customers that T-Mobile has unlimited data and is now cheaper than Verizon. Unless the $50 price also includes unlimited talk and text.

There's also the Google Project Fi which is unlimited talk text for $20 but requires a Nexus phone cause it uses both GSM and CSMA networks. You get 10GB of data for $10. Not unlimited but 10GB is a lot.

My desire to drop my smartphone and verizon just went up by 66% as well. I'm probably done with them as soon as my contract is over, I'm sick of their bullshit.

If you're on unlimited, your contract is already over. They haven't offered unlimited plans for years.

If you're on unlimited, your contract is already over. They haven't offered unlimited plans for years.
well sort of. Got an Iphone 6 from Apple.com on verizon and it came with unlimited.Bit of a loophole but unlimited.

Also this only applies now to those out of contract. If you are still in contract it will take affect when contract ends. They are also offering to let you continue unlimited, on-contract and buy a new phone on payment plan. Still paying for phone and $20 increase.

BTW Project Fi is $10 1GB I believe not 10/10

soon as they have Nexus 6P's in stock -- I'm ditching Verizon (even happy to pay the 200 ETF fee)

and going Project Fi.

Fuck Verizon.

Guess I will be switching to pre-paid. No way in hell I'm paying this,my bill is already too damn high.

It will be interesting to see how they notify people of this -- and how they handle some of us that are locked in on perpetual "special plans" that we have never terminated. Specifically, my own plan was a promotional offer that was for 20% off my data plan for as long as I remained on that plan -- which I have never changed and jumped through hoops to keep. So, I've been paying $23.99 for unlimited data through Verizon for about 9 years (i.e. when I signed up originally, my phone was an LG Chocolat "enhanced" feature phone with data/browser -- and I just carried the plan over ever since). Every time I've upgraded or done anything recently the guys at the store always just look at my plan in shock and basically say the plan is so old they don't know why the system still recognizes it -- and basically all tell me to never touch anything on my account. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Glad I dropped my old unlimited for $45 cricket last month. F you Verizon.

Nope, 10GB is $100, $10 per GB.

So by what you are saying then is that if I was to pay for 100 GB of usage it would be $1000 dollars. F that crap, glad I'm on unlimited.

And to the poster who said that 10 Gb is alot umm no it isn't. Watch a couple of movies and that will get blown out of the water real quick.

I'm surprised it took them this long to raise the price.
They promised unlimited data, not that it would remain the same price forever.

I'm still on contract with unlimited for $30/month until Aug 2017, suck it Verizon. :D

You can extend your contract still by transferring your upgrade to another line. Been doing it since they dropped unlimited data a few years ago. Got 2 lines on unlimited and 1 line on a 2GB plan that I transfer upgrades to.

So by what you are saying then is that if I was to pay for 100 GB of usage it would be $1000 dollars. F that crap, glad I'm on unlimited.

And to the poster who said that 10 Gb is alot umm no it isn't. Watch a couple of movies and that will get blown out of the water real quick.

What is WiFi and how do I use it? Maybe you have shit internet at home, but my wireless internet blows away any LTE, other than maybe the stuff they have in South Korea.

Hits me too 3 lines all with unlimited data 1400 shared minutes unlimited nights and weekends and mobile to mobile and txt. My plan has been that since july of 07 when the unlimited data was killed. Been with verizon for 9 years.

With the newest scoops plans the 100 dollar plan for 18GB then 20 per line would come out to 160 plus fees and taxes so 200 I currently pay 266 a month and the price hike is gonna kick that to 320...

If tmobile would come to town we would probably drop big bloated red for little red.

I wonder if the fcc or anyone is going to make a stink to verizon over this bullshit.

Hits me too 3 lines all with unlimited data 1400 shared minutes unlimited nights and weekends and mobile to mobile and txt. My plan has been that since july of 07 when the unlimited data was killed. Been with verizon for 9 years.

With the newest scoops plans the 100 dollar plan for 18GB then 20 per line would come out to 160 plus fees and taxes so 200 I currently pay 266 a month and the price hike is gonna kick that to 320...

If tmobile would come to town we would probably drop big bloated red for little red.

I wonder if the fcc or anyone is going to make a stink to verizon over this bullshit.

Sprint an option for you guys? $30/mo for unlimited text, data and 2GB full speed (throttled after, so no overages) Granted, I'm in Chicago (their biggest market) but it's been working great even when I go on the road.

Well I still have 1 year left on my unlimited contract so its not going to hit me yet, but come next year I will definitely be checking to see if its cheaper for me to move off the unlimited plan.

There's been few loopholes where you can renew the contract for 2 years for a discount on new phone. Obviously VZW will never tell anyone about them so these old plans die off. Now with the price hike their trying harder to push holdouts over the cliff.

Nevermind then. What was Google thinking?

Google's FI data plan is different all the big 4 carriers in that you **pay only for what data you use** and it **never expires** at the end of month or year. It's obvious not for everyone but it's a fairer trade off than having to constrain data usage if you happen to use a lot that month, or always overpaying for a expensive excessive plan to avoid overage fees.

Almost everyone I've ever asked how much data they actually use NEVER knows, doesn't care, and just pays the bill regardless that they are overpaying hundreds of dollars a year, just for the convenience of watching streamed videos on their lunch break.

Nevermind then. What was Google thinking?

Their plan refunds you for unused data. That's about the only benefit to it aside from dual use of two carriers with one sim card. You set an amount (in 1GB/$10) you want to pay for every month and unused data in 100MB/$0.10 increments are refunded. $20 for the plan, and you want 2GB data... that's $10 per GB, so you set it to charge you $40/mo. But if one month you only use 900MB of data... you get a credit for $10.10 the next month for the unused data. Overage works the same as pre-allocating the amount you want billed: $10 for the next GB with the remainder being refunded.

Every time I hear about the newest bullshit AT&T or Verizon are pulling it makes me want to stick with T-Mo even more. I've been paying about $60 a month with them ever since I signed up in 2007 and more than once now they've informed me that they're giving me more for that price, not less. I went from a 450 minute plan with no texting (I use Google Voice for that) and a 4GB data limit to an unlimited voice, unlimited text, unlimited data with 7GB of tethering use for the same $60.

What is WiFi and how do I use it? Maybe you have shit internet at home, but my wireless internet blows away any LTE, other than maybe the stuff they have in South Korea.

Ummm no I have 300+ down and 20+ up and yes I am using wifi. I was just going by what I have used in the past on a per month basis. WiFi speeds are awesome too. There for a while I had no home internet and now I have my home internet back. Went thru a rough time last year and for 12 months it was rough. Had to shed some monthly costs and my cable service had to go. Now I am back on and I got the fastest package I could get and its Extreme Internet from TWC. Currently my monthly usage is about 300 gig and so far no issues.

Verizon is having problems keeping up with data demand due to the shortage of data caused by weak output of the data mining industry.
Yes, as of late, data mining has become increasingly difficult due to EPA laws, labor shortages and of course the effect of "peak data".
"All the easy data has already been mined" says Carl Farmer, an Oracle datawarehouse engineer. "You got all them high tech companies like your Google getting all that data, and the facebooks suckin' it out every day. how long do they think it would last? Not to mention the damn bit coin mining where every tom dick and harry just steals data day and night while we are all sleeping!"
Verizon is quick to point out that getting data to sell to users has become more expensive in recent times. Dick Blowhard, a Verizon douchebag had this to say, "Well we all love our Grandfathers, old customers who paid through the ass to use our services. They are valued customers and we appreciate their years of support. however, even though we care very much about our customers, fuck 'em."

This is Phil McCrakken for HCP news.

stuck with this as my only real option for internet in a rural area. I don't let our family watch videos/youtube/Netflix as I didn't want to be a "data hog", but with the price hikes, F-it! Will let the GB's fly. Data is so cheap, infrastructure is up, the billions we gave to telecoms to build out rural internet they effectively just pocketed and did little to give us real options. I'll still keep my plan, but will adjust my use accordingly.

Their 100GB plan is $750

Eh, stick with Ting or Republic - both on Sprint (but whatever) but significantly cheaper.

It will be interesting to see how they notify people of this -- and how they handle some of us that are locked in on perpetual "special plans" that we have never terminated. Specifically, my own plan was a promotional offer that was for 20% off my data plan for as long as I remained on that plan -- which I have never changed and jumped through hoops to keep. So, I've been paying $23.99 for unlimited data through Verizon for about 9 years (i.e. when I signed up originally, my phone was an LG Chocolat "enhanced" feature phone with data/browser -- and I just carried the plan over ever since). Every time I've upgraded or done anything recently the guys at the store always just look at my plan in shock and basically say the plan is so old they don't know why the system still recognizes it -- and basically all tell me to never touch anything on my account. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I had unlimited talk/text/data, but I had to put my account on "inactive" status, as I moved overseas. I figured I would have only been gone 4 months, but that turned into 2 years. In that time, T-Mobile changed my plan.

Went from $50 to $80 a month. I'm not paying it, since it's "inactive", but that sucks. Was hoping that I would have stayed grandfathered into my old plan. Guess since it's "inactive", they just do what they want.

Ah the fleecing of America at its finest... this country is fucked

The sad part isn't what Verizon is doing. It's far more disappointing that people think that a country is somehow getting a cosmic, lubeless mega-humping over a cell phone service price hike.

Same. I might switch over to cricket when my contract is up.

Back