verizon galaxy nexus vs RAZR review

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
I happen to have a Verizon galaxy nexus and Droid razr... who wants a review?

2011-12-13_14-04-12_188.jpg

IMG_20111213_142820.jpg

Top pic is galaxy nexus taken with Droid razr, bottom is Droid razr taken by nexus.

Last edited:
I do. Please smash them together as hard as you can until one breaks. The working one is the winner. This is how I decide most of my purchases.

Chiu emailed me and said that the Rezound is better so your review is worthless!!

But despite that I'm still interested in a review.

Damn, I wish more review sites incorporated this test into their reviews. It's the ultimate test of the hardware! :p

I already have seen enough of both phones to know what's best for me. Esp. after holding the RAZR in hand once; I didn't like it at all. It wasn't very ergonomic for my small hands. I really don't see many trade-offs for going with a RAZR over the Nexus too. I'd rather have a removable battery than removable storage.

But go ahead and do a review. It's always interesting to see someone else's (detailed) opinion :).

Ive messed with it, not a big fan of sense ui. I also have better earbuds tgen beats audio. I will admit it IS fast though. It depends on your definition of"better".

What in particular would you guys want to know about?

I pretty much know everything worth knowing about both phones from reading/watching countless reviews on both. But if you could comment on their displays and how they compare since they're both the same type other than the resolution differences (HD vs qHD). When I played with the RAZR at the store, I thought the display looked like garbage despite being SAMOLED, esp. right next to the Rezounds HD SLCD I was comparing it too. I could easily make out the red sub-pixels on text when on a white background and see pixelation in other situations too. All without even bringing the screen close to my face. So I've been somewhat concerned about this on the Nexus phone too since it's also a pen-tile sub-pixel arrangement. But every review/video I've seen on the phone so far says it's one of the, if not the best displays they've ever seen. So that put my fears to rest a bit. But I would like to hear other peoples input on it too :).

Ive messed with it, not a big fan of sense ui. I also have better earbuds tgen beats audio. I will admit it IS fast though. It depends on your definition of"better".

That went way over your head. I'm guessing you weren't around for the Chiu debacle.

Does the nexus have bloat ware on it?

Depends on what you call bloatware. All the google apps are on it (books, google+, google music, ect.) But i dont consider this bloatware. The only verizon apps i found was backup assistant and my verizon mobile. Both of these are good programs and useful. It comes default with about a page and a quarter of apps...mostly system and google apps. As a google experience device, i dont think they allowed a lot of bloatware on it.

have you tried recording a video? ive read and seen (youtube) that there is a "wavy/distortion effect"..... can you test the nexus you got?

How is the audio quality when making phone calls? How about drive around town moving from cell tower to cell tower and tell us if it works well as a cell phone. Thanks in advance.

How is max volume for ear piece (like phone calls) and ringer ? How is phone reception, 3g reception and LTE reception between the two phones (in db; not bars :) ); how is battery life ? How smooth are videos ? How is visbility in bright sun-light ?
(would be great if you could comment before the phone is available - which is like today !)

C'mon man! Drop that crap already. I want to hear about the phones.

notetcetera, cut the the OT discussion, flamebate political topics and personal attacks on other members
are not welcome here. Feel free to PM me if you're not sure what I mean by that.

Back on topic now please.

Working on it, I don't have much free time. Should be able to post it after work tomorrow

I'll agree with the ergonomics bit, the nexus definitely feels much nicer laying in your hand(curved back). I like the screen on the Nexus more although the Razr's screen is a nice display as well. The razr is less noticeable in my pocket because of the thinness and maybe the weight? I appreciate the small bezel design on the nexus as far as aesthetics go.

The removable storage REALLY bothers me on the Nexus but I switch phones often.

The face unlock is super-cool and works surprisingly well. The screen will unlock within .5s when it's me holding the phone and will not unlock for others, it's pretty cool and well implemented.

I didn't notice any big performance differences between the two... although I do hope the Nexus has better battery life than the Razr.

I think it's great that they are able to provide a 4.65" screen in almost the same sized device.(height/width)

I'll agree with the ergonomics bit, the nexus definitely feels much nicer laying in your hand(curved back). I like the screen on the Nexus more although the Razr's screen is a nice display as well. The razr is less noticeable in my pocket because of the thinness and maybe the weight? I appreciate the small bezel design on the nexus as far as aesthetics go.

The removable storage REALLY bothers me on the Nexus but I switch phones often.

The face unlock is super-cool and works surprisingly well. The screen will unlock within .5s when it's me holding the phone and will not unlock for others, it's pretty cool and well implemented.

I didn't notice any big performance differences between the two... although I do hope the Nexus has better battery life than the Razr.

I think it's great that they are able to provide a 4.65" screen in almost the same sized device.(height/width)

The reason the GN's footprint is not much bigger is because a big chunk of the screen is used for the buttons.

Oh I hope this isn't the case, I plan on using it for video a lot.

From what I've seen; if you disable image stabilization, the jello effect goes away. It's horrible on the RAZR too from what I've seen on Youtube.

Back