Verizon FIOS - Switching Routers ?!

hellomcfly

Limp Gawd
i want to switch to my own Linksys router instead of the Actiontec router they provide. when i switch over all the lines to the new router i have no internet. i remember the install tech telling me i have to release the IP from the old router so that the new routuer can be assigned one . has anyone made the switch to a new router ? or could explain how to properly release my IP

thanks !

what os are you using? if winxp type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew into command prompt. that should release your ip.

what os are you using? if winxp type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew into command prompt. that should release your ip.

To release the routers ip you would have to do it in the routers config.

How exactly does the FiOS work...I havent really looked into it at all.

Does it use a "modem"? If it does you will probably have shutdown the "modem" for a couple minutes then turn it back on, this is because most "modems" learn the MAC address of whatever they are hooked to and will only communicate with that mac. when you turn it off and back on it will relearn the new MAC of your new router.... but like I said I know nothing about the FIOS system so I could be way off.

Is your new router get an IP at all?

One more thing, releaseing your IP should do nothing. When you "release" an ip it doesnt notify the DHCP server that its free, the DHCP server determins that itself when it wants to hand out that IP again.

more than likely your FIOS account is tied to the mac on the router they gave you

Most Modern routers will allow you to get around this by specifying a custom MAC address in the setup. You set it to the MAC of the previous router.

But, FIOS is new. Who knows what gotcha's are there.

-Larry

more than likely your FIOS account is tied to the mac on the router they gave you

dr. evil was exactly right

they said i had to release the MAC address from the current router and then the linksys would renew it

you dont release mac addresses. either you have to release the IP from the router, or tell your new linksys router to use a custom mac... which would be that of your old router.

Back