Verizon FIOS > Optimum Online

my isp (Rogers, in canada.. they bought out the local company) throttles P2P traffic to the point where the internet is inaccessible if i have a torrent running. the INSTANT my sis/bro starts downloading something the internet pretty much slows down to the point where i can't even load a website.. literally half a second after turning off Utorrent the page will load... /sadface

I have the FIOS thats 20down/5up and my speed test to a server right next to where I live as

14.81down/1.86up

I have the FIOS thats 20down/5up and my speed test to a server right next to where I live as

14.81down/1.86up

Something is wrong on your end. You should be pegging the speedtest at 20/5. Stop all p2p, reset the Actiontec (if that is what you are using) and run the test again from a wired PC. If you are doing it from an 802.11g computer, that could be causing the bottleneck.

It's good you got that 20mb upload so you can more effectively distribute more pirated material and rip off more people, good job!

Can't always be sure on the internet.. haha. There is plenty of ******* who actually say stuff like that and mean it.

Be thankful you've got the options...

We're stuck with copper in the UK from our primary telecoms provider which is getting upgraded to 24mbit down and 1.4mbit up, but due to long cable lengths and old copper wiring it leave people even right in the middle of cities not capable of more than about 3-4mbit down.

Lucky virigin media have started upgrading fibre in some areas, orderd my 50mbit a few days ago the same day it was available my street. Shame they only give 1.5mbit upload.

we aren't lucky we are all suckers my brother got transferred to Japan and he pays 20 bucks a month with a company called J:Com 160-megabit connection. Shit were are way behind when it comes to internet.

I'm moving to japan

Something is wrong on your end. You should be pegging the speedtest at 20/5. Stop all p2p, reset the Actiontec (if that is what you are using) and run the test again from a wired PC. If you are doing it from an 802.11g computer, that could be causing the bottleneck.

Im on a wired PC and I was running nothing else. No other PCs were turned on at the time as well.

I turned off/on the router also and it did nothing. I am certainly not about to reset the whole darn thing and redo all my settings. Even tried as DMZ and doesn't change it.

Certainly can't call Verizon and say something, they'll just say, we can't guarantee those speeds and go blah, blah, blah and try to sell me something.

Last edited:
Comcast shuts off my internet if i'm dling at speeds > 750kbps while torrenting :mad:

God.. please something other than lamecast come to my areaaaa

I'd love fiber. I gotta say though, Comcast isn't that bad. I average 700K down and 150K up (kilobytes, not bits).

my comcast 8MB down plan:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 13322 kbps (1665.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1986 kbps (248.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I got FIOS a couple years ago when it was first offered in my area (15 minutes outside DC on the Maryland side). TV, phone and internets. TV is better than Comcast, more reliable service there...Phone kinda stinks when your power goes out..the backup battery lasts only 4 hours vs the 8 they advertise, and even 8 is bad considering the area I live in and the propensity for power to go out.

On the Internets front, speed has been degraded a little bit over the past two years, I'm not seeing the 3MB/s (upper case B for the panties in a wad person) downloads off steam anymore, 1.5-2 now... Hopefully Verizon will keep up with the upgrades and throw on a better DWDM or something if it starts getting worse.

That is really depressing. I have had FiOS for about as long as you, and if my speed dropped even a little bit I would drop them in a heartbeat. I have been able to peg any speedtest I have tried ever since I got the service, and because of that, I don't think I would be able to settle for anything less.

Yeah, but it hasn't bugged me too too much as I don't torrent and my ping times are single to low double digits on east coast servers...jumps up to 30-40 on west coasters. Low latency is my biggest priority and bandwidth is second. Comcast had horrid latency.

I think just about everyone within a couple streets of me switched from Comcast to FIOS, so I wasn't surprised to see the download speed degrade a lil bit.. still much faster than what I had before and more reliable service.

cower in fear at my awesome, unbeatable broadband speeds!

5lc64w.jpg

BEAT!!

oh... my... god. sparky, you poor poor individual.

we need to start a bandwidth donation fund for people like sparky.

or we could just hoard the internets and crush the little man!

decisions decisions.

my isp (Rogers, in canada.. they bought out the local company) throttles P2P traffic to the point where the internet is inaccessible if i have a torrent running. the INSTANT my sis/bro starts downloading something the internet pretty much slows down to the point where i can't even load a website.. literally half a second after turning off Utorrent the page will load... /sadface

uh not doubting the shittiness of rogers, but that has nothing to do with their service unless you have the upload speeds of your bt clients limited to a reasonable fraction of your cap, or you have some sort of qos functioning on your router. if they are set to unlimited, and there are enough leechers to max out your uplink, then it's going to kill the net for your whole house regardless of who your isp is. downstream you don't have to worry about as much, but upload needs to be watched closely if you share your internet at all.

ie. your upload limit is 384 kb/s
384 / 8 = 48 kB/s total you have to work with
(maximum you should ever set the total of your speeds to are around 15% of this because of protocol overhead)

so if there are 3 of you, your only options are either to split it up to 12 kBps each, or take turns using no more than ~36 kB/s at once for everyone else to be able to browse the web at the same time. web browsing needs much less upload bandwidth because http is more efficient than bt, so you are safe reserving about 5 kB/s for general browsing. if anyone goes to youtube or somesuch streaming/video site while you have some heavy torrenting going on it will be slow tho. if you do this and browsing is still slow, then keep lowering your upload limits until it speeds up. from experience I would say you actually have no more than 30 kB/s for everyone to use in order to keep browsing smooth, cable rarely if ever is stable with uplink caps.

btw you really can't complain with optimum, cablevision is considered one of the better isps nowadays. the ones to stay away from are comcast and time warner, they oversold like mad and are paying for it now. optimum has a much smaller user base afaik so they are still ok, and learning from everyone else's fuckups before it's too late. but you are pretty much screwed with the other two, word is they are both coming out with tiered data caps in the near future. this is inevitable, they just have too many customers to deal with and are past the point of no return to have any chance of regaining a positive balance of bandwidth reserves for any systems not set up for docsis3. that's delaying the inevitable too, what they are really trying to do is squeeze out as much profit from cable while they can, it's already obsolete. I wouldn't mind having fios myself but I doubt my neighborhood is anywhere near verizon's priority list for a while.

Last edited:

Comcast is doing fine for me. Gradually went from 6Mbit/384Kbit, to 10Mbit/1.5Mbit, to now 15Mbit/7Mbit. Incremental upgrades, and not a single rate increase. The sudden increase in U/L had me shooting well over 1.0 ratios for seeding - which is a first for me ever. I'm talking about sustained at > 350KB/s real world, which is pretty nuts compared to what I was on 2 years ago, struggling with crappy 40KB/s or less.

I've never had ping problems either. In fact, everyone always acts surprised that I'm gaming 2 floors below my router, using a wireless connection at that.

Back