Verizon Fiberoptic internet

Confederate

Limp Gawd
In May Verizon will have Fiberoptic internet on my street,Right now i have Adelphia Cable and i pay almost 50.00 a month for 4000 down 430 upstream, This new Verizon is gonna be 5000 down and 2000 upstream, Its called FIOS can you guys tell me anything about this service? Will i be able to run multiple computers in house thru a router like i do now? and just think only 39.95 a month !! Heres link >> http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSForHome/channels/FiOS/root/package.aspx

its a cable with internet access.. just like every other cable with internet access. of course you can.

Mom has fiber. It comes into the house on a network cable, no modem required like Verizon's DSL service.
Its fast, but its Verizon, and verizon as a company sucks.

Roadrunner via brighthouse charges me $34.95 a month for 7 down and 512 up. Can't complain there.

FIOS will likely never come to Missouri. I'll have to hope for SBC/AT&T for a fiber solution

Ominous Gamer said:
Mom has fiber. It comes into the house on a network cable, no modem or required like Verizon's DSL service.
Its fast, but its Verizon, and verizon as a company sucks.

Roadrunner via brighthouse charges me $34.95 a month for 7 down and 512 up. Can't complain there.

Im on brighthouse networks with a 10/1 plan soon to be upgraded to 15/2 when i get voip service. I might switch but only after they turn on the TV service in my area.

Thanks for the link for reviews that helped alot!!! Only thing i was dissapointed by is the Port blocking of 80 . i occasionally run a 8 man server for Unreal Tournament, Hope i can figure out how to get by this !!

if I were to sing a song it would go something like this....

"ive got a fios box on the pole outside my door
pretty soon ill be a fuckin fios whore"

Confederate said:
In May Verizon will have Fiberoptic internet on my street,Right now i have Adelphia Cable and i pay almost 50.00 a month for 4000 down 430 upstream, This new Verizon is gonna be 5000 down and 2000 upstream, Its called FIOS can you guys tell me anything about this service? Will i be able to run multiple computers in house thru a router like i do now? and just think only 39.95 a month !! Heres link >> http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSForHome/channels/FiOS/root/package.aspx

must live in hamburg huh

All of you guys suck. Im stuck on a 512/256 wireless connection cause I live in the middle of nowhere

AcidTone said:
All of you guys suck. Im stuck on a 512/256 wireless connection cause I live in the middle of nowhere

I live in the middle of nowhere too.....And I have a 10/1 connection...ALL TO MYSELF :) :) :)

like i said you suck......... the Comcast guys were in my area and i stoped and talked to them about if they were planing on bringing internet to my town and they kinda laughed and said maybe in 3 years.......... Hell we dont even have digital cable we get the basic stations and that is it. It sucks cause dsl is offered a county over and they are even more int he middle of no where than i am but Verizon and Comcast have been ignoring were i live forever.

Im just glad i have a half way decent connection.

TekSomniaK said:
FIOS will likely never come to Missouri. I'll have to hope for SBC/AT&T for a fiber solution
That's like hoping for death. You realize this I hope.

AcidTone said:
Damn you must be far from your tower. I have wireless and I've got 3mb up/down.
Well let me qualify that...guaranteed 1.5m with a cap at 3m. I usually test around 2-2.5m

Nope about 300 yards from the tower. The company i has set speeds and this was the best i could get with out having to sign a contract, and that they would let me use my own equipment.

The install takes about 2 Days (well for me it did) they need to drill a hole through the house and put the fiber optic equipment outside the house. Then a battery backup unit is inside the house. Then they need to wire it from your house to the pole. Works like normal DSL, I get consistent 15 down 2 up. Some places are getting a speed bump to like 30+ for 55 a month. Then theres the TV service thats being offered in a few areas. The install per household costs them about 3-6K but they do it for free :D . Verizon is likely to have fiber all over the place because the FCC or FTC not sure which can't say they have to share their lines with other providers ;)

i work for verizon, have fios at home, and did 90% of my own install. What is it you need to know exactly?

FIOS > Comcast in value. Hell, * > Comcast in value. Paying nearly $60/mo for 6000/384 and digital cable sucks horribly. They should consider that MAYBE people want to upload at speeds faster than 45kb/s.

boostdemon said:
i work for verizon, have fios at home, and did 90% of my own install. What is it you need to know exactly?

When they will have FIOS in Yale MI 48097 :) :rolleyes:

movax said:
FIOS > Comcast in value. Hell, * > Comcast in value. Paying nearly $60/mo for 6000/384 and digital cable sucks horribly. They should consider that MAYBE people want to upload at speeds faster than 45kb/s.

I pay $19 a month for 5mbit down 1mbit up (with cox, owning my own modem) My 15/2 fios is $40 a month w/ the employee discount.

AcidTone said:
When they will have FIOS in Yale MI 48097

sorry, not even on the list.

sorry, not even on the list.

Ya i figured that, was actually just joking I know it will be a long time before it is in my area. (if im still here)

boostdemon said:
Any plans in 18424...Gouldsboro......I have a killer connection now, but not 15/2..:)

Any plans for Quincy, MA 02169?

All the really rich cities in MA are getting FIOS, whereas my city always gets the shaft. I would take Verizon over Comcast any day of the week (though both companies actually have decent customer service here), plus I'm paying $43/month for 4000/384. I need better upload speeds, because right now uploading huge files to my webhost takes forever. :(

CommonGTI said:
must live in hamburg huh
LOL Ilive in Orchard Park ,But they are installing Hamburg and Orchard Park ,Your right LOL,Where do you live? Oh by the way they are offerering the TV service also, But wont be availABLE TO oCTOBER OR EARLY 2007

BillLeeLee said:
Any plans for Quincy, MA 02169?

All the really rich cities in MA are getting FIOS, whereas my city always gets the shaft. I would take Verizon over Comcast any day of the week (though both companies actually have decent customer service here), plus I'm paying $43/month for 4000/384. I need better upload speeds, because right now uploading huge files to my webhost takes forever. :(
Well think of it this way what costs more? A town of 10,000-15,000 people or a big city thats wired underground. Yeah and I second Comcast sucks, TV has not worked right for ages :( always freezing, stuttering, no audio, or just a blank screen constantly and it isn't an isolated case. Well atleast my town didn't get the shaft this time around tough, I hink we had to wait like some 5 years for digital cable.

Half of my friggin town has it...been that way for awhile.

Wonder when my side will get wired up?

Half my coworkers either have it or "can" but they choose not too. Argh! So when is it coming to 21085 Joppa, MD? hehe

Confederate said:
LOL Ilive in Orchard Park ,But they are installing Hamburg and Orchard Park ,Your right LOL,Where do you live? Oh by the way they are offerering the TV service also, But wont be availABLE TO oCTOBER OR EARLY 2007

Hamburg...Yeah cant wait for the TV service..Im so tired of Adelphia. The pricing is crazy with cable modem,dvr and hd service their raping me at 160 a month. I heard FIOS will be like 90 a month with the tv service.. I cannot wait :cool:

Yes Adelphia is charging me 127.00 a month.I have a DVR box . cable internet (that sucks) no premium channels !!! :mad: And im using my own modem, got one free with a rebate and told them to stick there modem in there a**. I believe it was like 6 dollars a month to use theres

If only qwest was rolling out FIOS. My only viable option is 1.5mbps ADSL from Qwest.

movax said:
You need to call comcast and see whats up...i get 8 down and 768 up for $50/month. Thats with cable tv too though. And I hear that if you sweet talk the installation guy you can get a 1mb upload...

XOR != OR said:
That's like hoping for death. You realize this I hope.

AT&T/SBC has something like this in the works. When it rolls out, it is going to be sweet and over a much larger area than FIOS has at this point.

I recently switched to Verizon FiOS internet service. I've had both Verizon DSL and Comcast Cable before, and man, what a difference. I never get under 650 KB/sec when downloading files, compared to the 250 KB/sec I had with DSL and the 500 KB/sec with Cable. So nice :D

Damn. I took a look at that map posted earlier and its getting put in spots all around my area. Too bad anywhere I could actually buy a house won't be on it :(

sorry, you guys. Good things come to those who wait, I m sure soon enough youll be able to get rid of your headaches.

Im in ny(long island) , and I made the jump to fios after my cable pig(cablevision) never went over 2.5Mbps...iwas supposed to be getting 5 for 50 a month. Everyone knows you cant game on 2.5 mbps especially with 5 other pc's at home. So I was getting owned n games and my funds were getiing owned by the cable pig. :mad:

Now when i run speed tests(testmy.net) i always stay at 5mbps!!!!! :D This is of no surprise to me since everywhere i go, I always see verizon trucks. Thus proving, that theyre hustle is paying off in regards to satisfied customers who have switched over.

fios tv is not available for me yet. Though i cant wait to be able to switch over, since i also ditched optimun tv for dish network when the cable/internet prices were getting"fatter" , I get peeved when a storm comes and I lose reception :rolleyes: . Not cool, especially with the crazy weather weve been having year round.

I will continue to support verizon with all my business. My Samsung i730 has broadbandspeeds on the go( which i am extremely thankful for), my internet kicks ass (though im pondering the jump to 15Mbps....any relevant info from anyone whos done this?), and i ccant wait for fios tv.

Verizon all the way!!!!!

Back