Verizon Fascinate owners get free no-strings upgrade

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
EDIT **There is an ED05 update being pushed OTA right now that is rumored to address the issues with the Fascinate, so it appears VZW may not be offering exchanges at this time as a result.

I learned yesterday the Fascinate has a known issue with intermittent signal and Verizons current policy as of today is to offer you a replacement choice of DroidX2, Droid Incredible2 or Droid Charge. Because they flipped the 4G switch in my area this week and because I love the SAMOLED screen so much, I chose the Charge.

If you choose the Charge the rep should notate your account and direct you to the closest Verizon corporate store to process the exchange order. You will not walk out with a Charge, they will order a CLNR (certified like new replacement) to be sent to you with 2-day shipping. If you choose the DX2 or DInc2 the rep will place your order over the phone. Has something to do with the 3G to 4G swap over and system limitations from what I gather.

Some people have had to go through days of calls, reboots, factory resets, and other troubleshooting. Some people just call back until they get a CS rep who pays attention to their internal memos who knows they are wasting your time and that there is a known issue with the radio in the Fascinate since the 2.2 Froyo update. YMMV. I called last night after having terrible data issues, was told to try a #228 option 2 OTA program and call back if it persists. Had issues again this morning, called in, they immediately processed an exchange order.

It seems less people are getting the runaround now that the campaign has been active for a few days.

So if the issue affects you, you can get an exchange without any modifications to contract or plan and retain unlimited data even if going from 3G unlimited to 4G unlimited. No forced tiers on data or contract renewals. No strings attached.

I've been overall happy with my Fascinate from a hardware perspective but in its stock form running ED04 Froyo its been very very slow and really a PITA to use. Rumor has it they are being authorized to swap by Samsung until Sammy pushes a software fix, rumored to be coming at the end of the month. So this offer may expire soon.

Last edited:
From the Facinate to the Charge with no strings attached? That's a hell of a deal.

Or DroidX2 or Droid Incredible2. Those are more side-grades. But the Charge is certainly an upgrade. No strings. I feel like you don't even have to be experiencing problems today to swap because of it being a knowing issue with the handset. I wouldn't want to be left with a handset that could develop that problem any day now. So in my opinion even if your handset is ok at the moment its something to consider.

I can attest that I did this, and got a free upgrade to the Incredible 2.

Just an FYI, this appears to be only for phones that YOU purchase through Verizon. I bought my Fascinate through a 3rd party (New, but not through Verizon), and I just got off the phone with them. I was told that because it wasn't purchased through Verizon, that I don't fall under the warranty for this.

Maybe I'll see if Samsung will do something for me.

Yes, thanks for that, you must have purchased your phone through Verizon

Also if it has physical damage they will not honor it either based on other reports. They will advise you to file a claim with Asurion the insurance provider, assuming you have insurance. Asurion will only send you a replacement Fascinate.

One report over at XDA now claims that the Charge is being offered ONLY if the Fascinate is out of stock. So they claim that choice is hit or miss.

Sure would be nice if someone who works at Verizon would comment to confirm or correct.

I went to a corporate store last night. First the Rep said he would ship a replacement Fascinate. I told him of the issues and asked that he check his bulletins. He looked into it and concluded I should be offered a new phone.

I chose the Charge, although I should have gotten the X2. Be sure to tell them you are having issues with missed calls. Don't say "dropped" calls. For those who are rooted, be sure to revert to stock ED04 before heading to Verizon.

Last edited:
thats funny because here is my story, of the samsung phone the nightmare from hell. i just started have problems last month.

i have had the Samsung Fascinate for 6 months and i have had problem after problem after problem, we'll verizon, sent me 2 Samsung Fascinate replacement's and i still had problems with the internet/call quality everyone hearing real loud background noise and they said it sounded like i was yelling at them, so everytime i the replacement same problem took to the store, they told me call verizon, i told verizon, the guy ran test on my 3rd replacement and it was still defative,

so if your gonna get the samsung Fascinate, you might run into the same problem's as me, and if you google, voice problems there is alot that pops up about it, and samsung is not the best at rolling out updates for there phone's,

so the rep did offer me the DroidX2 or Droid Incredible2,

but i went with the DroidX2 they overnight shipped for free, but i will report back, how it goes today, i am getting my droid x2 today by fedex

Last edited:
Where's my free upgrade for my Mesmerize? It's pretty much the same phone and has been a royal pain the ass since I've gotten it. Here's hoping USC stops pushing it as their flagship phone and gets something better.

Last edited:
Where's my free upgrade for my Mesmerize? It's pretty much the same phone and has been a royal pain the ass since I've gotten it. Here's hoping USC stops pushing it as their flagship phone and gets something better.

I've been wondering if this affects the entire GalaxyS line or if it is ISCH500 specific.

I've been wondering if this affects the entire GalaxyS line or if it is ISCH500 specific.

Both the Mesmerize and Fascinate are ISCH500, so unless the issue was something that Verizon caused with their firmware, it more than likely effects both the Fascinate and Mesmerize. Not sure about other GalaxyS phones, but the whole line does seems to be full of issues.

Dang, just got off the phone with CS, there is a new software release being pushed starting the first, she said for me to do an update check and it should show up today. But first I need to do a factory reset on the phone and see if that fixes it. So I guess I'm not getting the wife a replacement phone today.

girlfriend and i been using fascinates for 6+ months now without issue. guess i wont be updating my phone to froyo. :D

This sounds like a good deal. I dont mind my fascinate but there are times I hate it lol.

Edit: Looks like the update is released as my phone is downloading it now.

Last edited:
i hope everything works out for you guys on your Samsung Fascinate and the software does fix your problems you are having,

I just got my Droid X2 few hours ago and its awesome, its better then the Samsung Fascinate i think, screen looks just as good as the Samsung Fascinate screen to me,

speed wise the Droid X2 is faster then Samsung Fascinate

so overall i am happy with my Droid X2, and will be shipping the Samsung Fascinate out tomorrow back to verizon,

Everyone good luck and i hope you get it fix or get a different phone like i did.

ED05 update being pushed out is supposed to address connectivity issues. That didn't take long did it...

I think Fascinate owners should push the issue with Verizon. The program was started because there was apparently no fix for the connectivity problem. I just don't understand why they would give away thousands of free phones if a fix were around the corner. Very bizarre.

I think Fascinate owners should push the issue with Verizon. The program was started because there was apparently no fix for the connectivity problem. I just don't understand why they would give away thousands of free phones if a fix were around the corner. Very bizarre.

Well xda is filled with Fascinate owners who are all being told no more. One guy even claimed last night they approved the exchange/upgrade and today when he went to the store to complete the order they reniged and said the update that went live this morning should fix it. Another guy was told he was being shipped a Dinc2 and when the box arrived a refurb Fascinate was in the box and he was told that was the only offer now. CS reps are telling people the Charge was never supposed to be an option. My guess is Verizon probably knew they could charge back Samsung later on easier if they were replaced with Samsung handsets so they figured why not offer the current Samsung flagship to replace the previous Samsung flagship phone. Makes sense. Im just glad I got in on it. They must have run out of refurbs because I got a brand new retail Charge complete with everything untouched in the box including 32Gb sdcard. Should do nicely until next year this time when I am up for another upgrade. :)

Yeah I read all the threads at XDA. Sucks for them. It will really suck for me if I open the box & there's a Fascinate staring at me. Oye.

i lucked out then on my exchange from samsung Fascinate to my droid x2. if everyone is still having problems you should push verizon into exchanging your Fascinate for other phone, i will keep watching this and watching the forum over at XDA

Back