Verizon contract is up on the 18th, what to do?

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
So the contract is up on mine and wife's phones on the 18th. We have 4s's now and use about 2gb of data a month. We are on verizon and I want to stay with verizon, I get 22% off a month. So:

What would you get for phones?

What plan would you get?

So the contract is up on mine and wife's phones on the 18th. We have 4s's now and use about 2gb of data a month. We are on verizon and I want to stay with verizon, I get 22% off a month. So:

What plan would you get?

I would wait and use your upgrade later in the year when the next gen of phones is coming out, like the new Nexus.

Wait for the end of October all the years best options will be out by then.

yep wait October the galaxy note 4 will likely be a beast, maybe LG will have their stylus enabled phone by then. Most of those phones will probably pack 2560x1440 screens which should put pixels at the edge of too small cause any effect on image quality.

do you have the unlimited plan? if you do stay the course dont let them goad you into a "Cheap" phone.
Galaxy S5 Galaxy Note 3 or in 2-3 months the note 4. I would lean towards the GS5 until they put the ultra battery saving mode in the note 3 i could really go for my phone lasting 7 days on a single charge and still have it be useful.

2gb total? or 2gb each for a total of 4gb?

2gb total. We are always on wifi.

do you have the unlimited plan? if you do stay the course dont let them goad you into a "Cheap" phone.
Galaxy S5 Galaxy Note 3 or in 2-3 months the note 4. I would lean towards the GS5 until they put the ultra battery saving mode in the note 3 i could really go for my phone lasting 7 days on a single charge and still have it be useful.

We do not have an unlimited plan.

Dunno why people even respond to these loaded questions/threads; no details on what they're wanting in a phone or if they have even looked at what's available first.

I would get either an LG G3 or HTC One M8 (what I have now and love it). But I don't see how what we would get would be best for you either. Since you're on iOS now, it's quite possible you won't like any other platform and will want to stick with iOS, in which case obviously the best phone for you would be a 5S or wait another month or two for the iPhone 6 (which I would do.

The best phones out right now are:

- Android: LG G3, HTC One M8, and the GS5
- iOS: iPhone 5S
- WP: Lumia Icon

Have fun Youtubing them! ;)

Also, screw waiting til October for the Note 4 or any other phone. The phones that are out now are amazing and have very few compromises compared to whatever will be out later this year. The only phone I would say wait for is the iPhone 6 if you want to stay on iOS, since it will be a significant revision over previous iPhones in terms of hardware.

What plan would you get?

I think you answered your own question here; a 2-3GB plan is your only option if you regularly use around 2GBs/month.

Maybe you have already, but I'd strongly recommend looking into a prepaid plan. After paying $140/mo with Verizon (with a similar 21% off through my company), I now pay $85 per month for the same service, but without a contract.

$135 - 2 4s's 4gb data

what about the edge plan? where you pay as you go with the phone and can upgrade after 1 year.

That's exactly what I pay for two phones on unlimited data/SMS/1400 mins plan.

Screw the Edge plan. With that plan, you're basically paying the phone subsidy twice; once where it's already built into Verizon's plan (they don't break it down where you see it, but it's included in your contract plan), then again for the Edge plan. I think it's better to just use a phone for a year, then sell it towards a new (used - on Swappa or here on [H]) phone, which usually comes out to be another $200-$300, so about what you pay for a new phone on-contract anyways.

What plan would you get?

I'm in a similar boat. Honestly let the phone you want dictate when you upgrade. I have a Note 2, my wife the S4. Note 3 gave me no need to upgrade, I'll wait out the Note 4. No sense upgrading if its not truly an upgrade you want

Good lord, that's like 2 year old specs for that phone

More like 4 years my galaxy s3 had better. I like my note 3 I don't use the spen as much as I would like but I still use it.

op the galaxy note 4 will be announced September 3 - 4th when it will actually be available is ??? If I was getting a new phone tomorrow it would be a gs5, LGg3 or another note3.

and as far as I'm concerned apple products are smartphones for grandma or kids.

apple smart phones are not good for grandma either. Small screen she can barely see. Galaxy note in easy mode is good for grandma.

Have to ask some questions before you jump in:

1. What kind of performance do you want? How important is a big screen, a fast processor or a high-quality camera?

2. Do you like iOS, hate it, or simply want to try something new?

3. How long are you willing to wait to get just the right phone?

I'd wait until Apple (presumably) announces new iPhones on September 9th, just so that you know what your options are for a direct upgrade path. That'd also let you see what the Galaxy Note 4 is about.

More like 4 years my galaxy s3 had better. I like my note 3 I don't use the spen as much as I would like but I still use it.

4 years ago the OG Moto droid was top dog. In 2012 my Moto razr maxx had a 1.2ghz CPU and 1gb of RAM.

Get rid of smartphone.
Get dumphone.
Save $$$ -- profit! :D

My Verizon contract lapsed in July, I switched to AT&T GoPhone after having Verizon service for 12 years and couldn't be happier. I remember being a customer through the locked out bluetooth on the original Moto Razrs ten years ago, and locked out GPS (usable only with VZ navigator) on phones in the pre-android era. This latest shenanigan with the locked bootloader on the Galaxy S3 (and various other Verizon tweaks) made me realize that Verizon will never change and I decided I'm not buying phones from carriers anymore.

Screw the Edge plan. With that plan, you're basically paying the phone subsidy twice; once where it's already built into Verizon's plan (they don't break it down where you see it, but it's included in your contract plan), then again for the Edge plan. I think it's better to just use a phone for a year, then sell it towards a new (used - on Swappa or here on [H]) phone, which usually comes out to be another $200-$300, so about what you pay for a new phone on-contract anyways.

Actually the Edge plan worked out brilliantly for me. I got it through Best Buy which had extra bonuses that the Verizon store didn't offer. I'm on a family plan which has at least 10gb of shared data spread over 4 lines. At that level they offer a $25 dollar discount per line for using the Edge plan. The cost of the G3 I just got was full retail (at Best Buy) only $550. Spread out over 20 months that comes to $27.50 per month. With the $25 dollar discount, it's only an extra $2.50 per month for the phone. But here's the real kicker. Best Buy was offering a $100 gift card with the upgrade to the G3.

So bottom line, Best Buy paid me $50 to upgrade to a G3. Doesn't get much better than that. ($100 minus $2.50 X 20 months for you mathematically challenged).

Back