Verizon Brings Back Unlimited Data Plan on 4G Network

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Uh…didn’t Verizon just make a video about how nobody needs unlimited data? So much for that; you can now burn up as much data as you want for $80 a month—although hitting 22GB will initiate a throttle. Reading the early comments, people seem to be totally okay with the pricing, although I am pretty sure my grandfathered plan is still cheaper. I take it Verizon is just going to terminate it and force more monies out of me?

Verizon just made a rather surprising weekend announcement: unlimited data plans are coming back. The carrier says that beginning tomorrow, it will offer what it's calling Verizon Unlimited. The plan will cost $80 for an individual line or $45 for each line on a four-line family plan. (Paperless billing and AutoPay must be enabled for those prices.) Customers will get full LTE speeds until they reach 22GB of usage, after which they’ll be subject to reduced data speeds and de-prioritization. Hotspot tethering — up to 10GB at LTE speeds — is included, are as calls and texts to Mexico and Canada. Verizon Unlimited also allows for 500MB-per-day roaming in those countries.

I guess they decided cutting off unlimited data users after an arbitrary amount of data usage was stupid idea, huh?

Throttle after 22 GB is pretty shit, though. I wonder if grandfathered plans now have this throttle.

I guess they decided cutting off unlimited data users after an arbitrary amount of data usage was stupid idea, huh?

Throttle after 22 GB is pretty shit, though. I wonder if grandfathered plans now have this throttle.

I don't think they can touch the grandfather plans, except for if for whatever the reason, they leave the plan. *curses online shopping*

Don't other companies do 23 gigs? What's the significance of 22 gigs?

Actually, what's the significance of these arbitrary caps in the first place? How do they come to this number? By twiddling thumbs? Algorithms involving 2+2=5?

That man is wearing makeup. Look at his lips in the video preview picture. He looks like a man whore. Also his title is "Verizon Wireless Leader" uh.... sure. Can't tell if that's a real position or not.

Anyway I held on to my grandfathered unlimited until just a few weeks ago. This is nice to hear.

Actually, what's the significance of these arbitrary caps in the first place? How do they come to this number? By twiddling thumbs? Algorithms involving 2+2=5?

They keep setting it up so that it looks like data amounts are the important thing instead of data rates. By only ever setting it up that way they make it look like it's the normal thing to do so that people aren't informed enough to complain. They made the switch sometime about 5 or 6 years ago or something. Traditionally internet has always been sold by data rate without any kind of total data amount ever talked about. It's a shameless money grab from the lack of competition in the free market.

It's the same deal with text messages. Having access to be able to send and receive them from the towers should be a monthly set cost, not a per message cost. Once all the infrastructure is in place it doesn't cost them anything to send text messages your phone is sending and receiving more data than that all the time just to sync applications and stuff. It's just another shameless money grab.

Tmobile does it based on the average usage. It is usually near 28gb

My only concern here.
Well a lot of people are already getting the boot Feb 17th. They sent letters to people who were using over 50-60gb telling them they were getting shut down. I personally use 500gb or more per month, but my unlimited plan is on contract until Feb 2018. I'm hoping they just leave me alone, as I'm only paying $75 a month with no throttling.

My issue is family plans only go to 4 lines. After that pricing seems to be a concern. Finally 10gb tethering Data, is that's per line or per account? Does it count towards the 22gb "potential throttle point"? What about connected devices like tablets, modems, and personal hotspots?

Too many questions.

Looks like single line is 85-5 for auto pay.

2-4 lines is $110-10 for auto pay. Then $20 per line.

The word "introductory" is being throw around, so I bet these prices increase after 12 months. They are also specifying 4g, which means when 5g comes out, you won't be getting it with this plan.

Still too expensive ..other carries offer the same unlimited plan .which in practice is not,for a less.
not really it was 30 dollars a month for a family line back in 2007 when they discontinued the unlimited data plans since then they bumped it up 2 times by 20 each time... so 50 then 70 a month now they are dropping it back down to 45 per line... I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with net neutrality or some other reason for them to pull their heads from their asses I also can't help but wonder if something happened like profits dropping down below a threshold...

That man is wearing makeup. Look at his lips in the video preview picture. He looks like a man whore. Also his title is "Verizon Wireless Leader" uh.... sure. Can't tell if that's a real position or not.

All people on TV wear makeup, or they look ghastly and pale under the studio lights.

Have you never seen the makeup artists come out during commercial break and touch up the news anchor?

Hmm, this makes me dropping ATT more of a reality now. I've been with them since 2003 and all of a sudden their signal has become weak and i drop calls like its no ones business. For 120 bucks a month I shouldn't drop a call ever.

22 is the number of times VZW will screw consumers over on the unlimited plan.

Where is the video that his apologizing for the statement Shammo made that nobody needed unlimited data plan, that they screw up big time.?

As someone who's grandfathered in, and usually uses 30-50GB/mo, I hope they don't throttle me at all. All I really do is stream videos (YT and Plex) and music. A throttled unlimited plan is still bullshit. Especially since they haven't really given the details about throttle, except when there is "network congestion", which will prolly be whenever you hit 22GB, even if you're the only one on their network.

I want to know how badly they cripple the speeds after 22GB. The only option I currently have is their LTE network because I live in the sticks. Not gonna change my older plan if they are gonna fuck me over with dialup speeds when I exhaust 22 gigs in a week or two.

Between what they charge for cell phones and the plans you would thing they would throw us a bone from time to time but noooooooooooo, squeeze every last .00001 cents out of every customer.

I want to know how badly they cripple the speeds after 22GB. The only option I currently have is their LTE network because I live in the sticks. Not gonna change my older plan if they are gonna fuck me over with dialup speeds when I exhaust 22 gigs in a week or two.

I read on phonescoop that they are throttling to 3g speeds if you go over the 10gb Data limit on Hotspotting. If that's true then I would be fine with that. 3g is still 10x better than 2g.

not really it was 30 dollars a month for a family line back in 2007 when they discontinued the unlimited data plans since then they bumped it up 2 times by 20 each time... so 50 then 70 a month now they are dropping it back down to 45 per line... I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with net neutrality or some other reason for them to pull their heads from their asses I also can't help but wonder if something happened like profits dropping down below a threshold...
Boostmobile's unlimited is $50.00 a month....I wonder how will all the carriers and MVNO's going to respond...hopefully even lower prices. :)

It's funny to watch the video and listen to him talk about how much they care about us... how much they listen.

What bullshit. They're doing this because they're hemorrhaging customers to prepaid carriers like Straight Talk. Ask anyone... I meet people every day who've switched away from Verizon.

At least something in Finland is cheap. Unlimited LTE with no throttling or caps 25 bucks / month.

Yeah they obviously don't want to offer unlimited in an ideal world. There must be some reason, something competing with their profits.

All people on TV wear makeup, or they look ghastly and pale under the studio lights.

Have you never seen the makeup artists come out during commercial break and touch up the news anchor?

Yeah but it's usually not so obvious that you can tell right away that a man has lipstick on. When it's done well it makes them look better and it's subtle.

So I did a little research: "Ronan Dunne is executive vice president and group president of Verizon Wireless"

I wonder why they chose to put "Verizon Wireless Leader" when that isn't his actual title.

All of these decisions they make about public appearance always just seem so strange and alien to me, like they are actually creatures from another planet trying to figure out how to appeal to humans.

The thing is they never reveal their true intentions obviously because that wouldn't make them the most profit. So everything they do I see through this lense "What are they really thinking / wanting, and how did they spin it for public relations?"

And the answer this time seems to be "We are losing profits to cheaper unlimited plans by other carriers, so we must offer one to make more for the investors."

Last edited:
Back