Verizon and Android -- Help Me Choose a Phone!

Discussion in 'Smart Phones and Devices' started by sohosources, Sep 16, 2010.

1. sohosources

sohosources n00b

Hi, gang:

My SO and I just renewed our service w/Verizon and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out which phone(s) to keep. I will try to be brief (and somewhat articulate), as the issues are confusing!

Right now, SO has the Fascinate and I have a Droid 2. Droid X is too big, so it's out of contention. SO loves the "juicy colors" of the Fascinate screen, so she's pretty well happy (upgrading from a POS Blackberry).

As for me, I started with the D2 because I thought I might like the physical keyboard. It turns out that I was wrong. I don't like it much at all, and prefer the screen keyboard. It's not a deal-breaker, but it maked the D2 seem rather heavy.

I like the screen on the Fascinate A LOT, but I'm worried about all of the Bing-centric and VZ-centric garbage on that platform. I hear that 2.2 will soon be available for the Fascinate...and that it will be easier/possible to add Google search and maps, etc. I have no love for VZ phone OS junk, though, so I'm still wary...

I haven't used the Incredible in the field. I chose to start with the D2 cuz it had 2.2 from the get-go.

In comparing call quality, at least on our units, the Fascinate sounds excellent while the D2 sound crappy and tinny (outbound call quality). I'm already thinking of exchanging it just because of that.

The Fascinate freezes and locks up if you look at in funny. WHY, Samsung, why?

Both are easy to use. I don't like the Samsung/VZ add-on junk, but I could probably deal with it.

I don't need Facebook or social networking stuff, and I don't need to connect the phone to a big-screen TV. I primarily need a GOOD VOICE PHONE with decent web functionality and periodic maps/nav functionality. I may read a PDF every now and then...or play Scrabble...but I don't need super 3D gaming on my phone.

Preferring my PC and phones to be lean and mean, I'd love to be able to uninstall lots of junkware and control what software is running in the background, etc. As a long-time PC tech I'd like to get "under the hood" a bit...but I'm not sure I'd need to go as far as rooting the phone. A friend says the Droid 2 may be easily bricked by the rooting process...but I'm really not sure.

I am totally gridlocked on this decision. I can't believe how difficult it's proving to be!

Help?

Thanks, as always,

--Kirk in MN

2. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

After waiting for the Incredible to come out of infinite backorder, I fell in love with the specs of the Fascinate. However, I see Verizon is intentionally trying to make it fail, and I really don't feel like having to screw with it to get it to work well. The X is a bit too big for me also, but I admit it's a sexy piece of hardware.

I'm leaning back towards the Incredible, though depending on the cutoff for my contract (my two-year just renewed in early August) I might just jump ship and get an iPhone 4.

3. Neurofreeze

Neurofreeze 2[H]4U

Yeah I don't know what's up with carriers sabotaging the Galaxy S line with everything they've got. The good news is that software problems can be solved on android phones. The bad news is it requires a lot of tweaking on your part, especially in the case of the Fascinate.

4. TimG

TimG Gawd

Just curious, what are you doing with your D2 if you decide to upgrade that phone?

I'm dying to get rid of my Eris and upgrade. Sorry for the semi-off topic comment.

5. Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf [H]ardness Supreme

I've had an Incredible since June and think it's a great phone. It's been upgraded to Froyo and I'm impatiently waiting for unrevoked 3.21 to be released so I can root it. I also just picked up a Fascinate to see if it's as good as so many claim. I'll post some pics of the two phones tomorrow, but can offer the following comments...

Screen: Fascinate wins, no contest. Just beautiful. Inc's is good, but not in the same league. I'm sure the Fascinate's video playback is superior, but I don't watch movies on my phone.
    Speed: Both phones are wickedly fast. I really can't tell which is faster by just observing them in action.
    Call quality: I call this a tie. Both are excellent, though the Inc's speakerphone is noticeably louder.
    Build: Slight advantage to the Inc. It's a bit heavier and just feels more solidly put together. Fascinate is a little lighter, thinner, taller, wider.
    Camera: Inc wins. 8MP > 5MP.
    Camcorder: Tie. Both can record 720p (with Froyo on the Inc).
    E-mail/text: Fascinate has the edge. I made fewer mistakes and typed faster with its keyboard. I think the phone's extra width helps spread the keys a little more. One unusual difference is the number key layout. On the Inc, the number keys are lined up horizontally, just like on a computer keyboard. The Fascinate's number keys are laid out 3x3 like the number pad.
    HTC Sense vs. Samsung Touch Wiz: I prefer Sense, but that might be due to having used it much longer.

I'll post pics in a separate thread, tomorrow. Too lazy to do it now. ;)

6. sohosources

sohosources n00b

TimG:

I will be exchanging the D2 for a Fascinate or an Incredible. I get 30 days to decide, and the exchange costs me a "$35 restocking fee." I'm not thrilled about that, but it could be worse!(Worse would be paying hundreds of dollars for a phone that I ultimately don't like!)

Alternatively, I may just turn it back in and go back to my non-smart phone plan, which was working just fine previously. In playing around with the D2 over the past 2 days I really noticed that it's not at all convenient in the way that a one-handed flip phone is. With the flipper I can just toss it into my pocket (no protective case required)...it's super lightweight by comparison...etc.

The web apps are nifty on the D2, but actually seeing the screen is still a pain (48-year-old eyes:). Yes, it has good music capability, but I'm not gonna drag a $600 phone into the gym to use as a disposable MP3 player. And the google maps and navigation are handy, for sure, but I still prefer a vehicle-based GPS for ease of use.

All that stuff is indeed nifty...but I'd rather be dragging a phone-enabled tablet around with me -- something I can actually see -- if I have to be lugging anything bigger than a flip phone.

Plus, the D2 call quality sounds bad. Maybe mine's a lemon. My SO's Fascinate sounds WAY BETTER.

When I consider all of the variables and the expensive phones and rate plans (for both of us it's close to $5000 over 24 months!), I may not be ready for prime time...

I go back and forth!

--Kirk in MN

7. TimG

TimG Gawd

8. Handbrake

Handbrake Limp Gawd

shit you'r the opposite
    I wanted the Droid X screen to be bigger

9. Lanx

Lanx Limp Gawd

i find google maps easier to use than my tom tom, i mean to put it in comparison we're using a 500$ phone compared to a 200$ tomtom, plus w/ google maps you could just say the address and the voice rec, does the rest.

really if you don't like the droid2 cuz of the keyboard, droidx then imo. it's pretty much pocket ready, slimmer just wider.

10. SilverMK3

SilverMK3 [H]ard|Gawd

I'd say go with the DInc, I don't see Verizon sorting out the Bing mess any time soon :(

11. Kirika

Kirika Gawd

Is the call quality on the droid 2 really that bad? People I know with the Droid X say the call quality is good. I was considering the Droid 2 because of the keyboard and they have a special star wars edition coming out soon.

12. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

As an update to my previous reply, I picked up an Incredible last night. So far I like the hardware, it's just the right size for me and it fits nicely in my Storm's holster. It came pre-loaded with Froyo which was convenient, and Sense is kinda nice, but it also has a barrage of Verizon bloatware. It's not even so much that they are on the phone, but that lots of stuff (particularly Skype and Amazon MP3 store) are *ALWAYS* running. I kill them, two minutes later they come back. GRRRR

I seem to have the weird "low reception bars" issue I've seen around the web, though even with zero bars I had decent 3G and could web surf without much lag.

So I'm sort of on the fence about it. I will fiddle with it for a few days, and if the involuntary bloat gets to me I'll just return it and cancel my Verizon contract.

13. MrkXCeL

MrkXCeL [H]ard|Gawd

The low bars thing pretty much applies to sprint phones as well. On average it's faster with two or bars then the full six. IF anything it sometimes stalls trying to initially get data while on six bars.

Secondly I gotta say our thinking is the same in regards to having a kick ass phone versus having a flip phone and carrying a tablet around. If these were any good(tetherble) small phones at sprint and decent cheap tablets with good touch screens and CPUs... I'd return my EVO right now.

Anyway nice choice on the phone. If I were change carriers that'd be the phone I'd pick up

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  14. verylostindeed

verylostindeed Gawd

If you don't care about (or even affirmatively dislike) the hardware keyboard, there is no reason to get the Droid2 over the Fascinate (or any of the other soft keyboard VZ devices, Droid X, Incredible, etc).

15. DirtyB

DirtyB Gawd

If you really want something with a bigger screen grab a tablet when they're released. Won't be long now.

I don't know why your asking us what you should get considering you dont want the X, and you own both the d2 and fascinate so you can easily distinguish between the two yourself. The vz/bing stuff on the fascinate isnt that large of a problem, you can just DL google maps.

16. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

My business partner has an Inc, I have a DroidX.

The X kicks it's butt.

Yup, it's kinda big, but it is totally badass as far as functioin, speed and features.

If you want functionality get the X, if you want size get the Inc......honestly both are very good.

17. Handbrake

Handbrake Limp Gawd

Lol I have both droidx and tomtom by comparison no way droidx is better than tomtom..couple of features r better but overall no

18. SirKronan

SirKronan [H]ardness Supreme

The Droid X blows the Incredible out of the water in more ways than one, and they are MAJOR ways, such as battery life, reception and call quality. It is THE PHONE right now if you have to have verizon, don't mind the size, and desire 2.2 right away (whereas the Fascinate has no 2.2 for a bit ...)

The Droid X has a top tier quality TFT LCD, which I actually prefer over the (non super) AMOLED of the Incredible. I haven't rooted a 2.2 droid x yet, but the 2.1 droid x was ridiculously easy (one click), and ran ridiculously fast rooted and with launcher pro. It has a dedicated GPU that the Incredible lacks, and triple noise cancelling microphones, along with amazing dual diversity antennas. I ended up not keeping it because of ergonomics vs the fascinate, mainly, but it is a truly powerful, rugged, and all around amazing device.

It's even easy to change the startup animation.:D