Verizon ADSL :: 1.5/384 is $29.95

Pixeleet

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow, such an incredible deal.

Verizon is now offering ADSL at 1.5/384 for only $29.25/month. This is supposed to be only for people who have LD service with Verizon, but I know many who don't have LD service with Verizon who still got the discount. According to the Verizon promotion, you have to call for this discount before the end of June.

With this upgrade, Verizon has also increased the cutoff distances for service, so those of you who were previously denied the 1.5/128 upgrade (like me) may now be able to get the 1.5/384 upgrade. There are some issues with this though. For one, if you have the old Fujitsu modem and you qualify for the upgrade, they will have to switch you over from the Frame Relay network to the new ATM network. With this, Verizon will provide you with a new modem (free except for s/h charges) that is compatible with the ATM network. Also, if you were on Frame Relay, you will loose your DSL for a short while (other customers reported outages typically around 5 days, although some were without DSL for 2 weeks) while Verizon changes your account. Apparantly, they need to cancel and recreate the account, but I was informed that I would not loose any mailbox/account settings. Verizon will provide you with free 56k dialup for 30 days in order to compensate for your loss of service. Your user name for dialup will be "VZ/<dsl user name>" and your password will be the same as your DSL password. I needed to contact VZ dialup tech support to get access numbers, although I do beleive they are available somewhere on their site. You may even be able to get a free month if you talk to the right people at billing.

Also, in late summer (according to Verizon) there will be another speed increase. Verizon will start offering 3.0/384 for $29.95/month (yes, no price increase) and an addition package, 3.0/768 for $34.95/month. Again, these packages are not availabe to regular customers yet, but certain Verizon employee/beta testers have been offered the 3.0/768 package as a test run to see how the service works. The $34.95 price was not confirmed by Verizon for the 3.0/768 package, but I am almost certain that the 3.0/684 package will be only $29.95.

Lastly, you need to talk to billing and sales both to get your price reduced and your line re-provisioned, respectively. You may get some "bad" CSRs the first time you call, but keep trying, because some people at Verizon know what's going on and some don't (typical of any ISP tech support). If you still can't get through to a good CSR after trying 3-4 times, PM me as I know a guy at Verizon who will provision your line (even if you're too far away).
And remember, DSL > Cable ;)

Good luck.

Pixeleet said:
PM me as I know a guy at Verizon who will provision your line (even if you're too far away).
And remember, DSL > Cable ;)

Good luck.

I have had DSL in the past and I get quicker speeds with cable. However I am a verizon customer and my cable company is starting make me :mad: so I will be looking into this.

Sinster said:
I have had DSL in the past and I get quicker speeds with cable. However I am a verizon customer and my cable company is starting make me :mad: so I will be looking into this.

Well, remember: cable will not gaurantee speeds, whereas DSL will. If your speeds are low for an extended period of time, most DSL providers will refund you in some manner for the inconvenience. Either that, or I've been lucky with getting extremely friendly CSRs :)

Pixeleet said:
Well, remember: cable will not gaurantee speeds, whereas DSL will. If your speeds are low for an extended period of time, most DSL providers will refund you in some manner for the inconvenience. Either that, or I've been lucky with getting extremely friendly CSRs :)

Verizon sure as hell doesnt promise speeds. Right on their front page it says that, not only that but the lowered their monthly fee, then announced a week ago, they have to tack on 4 more bucks a month to pay some fee.

Offer by Verizon Online valid through 6/30/04. A $12.95 shipping and handling charge will apply to DSL order. Offer subject to change without notice. Modem is a new or fully inspected, tested and warranted return unit. If service is cancelled within the first 12 months, modem must be returned or $99 equipment fee applies. Service not available in all areas or on all telephone lines and subject to final confirmation of services by Verizon. Acceptance of Verizon Online Terms of Service is required. Minimum system requirements apply. The Verizon Online version of MSN® Premium is not Macintosh® compatible. Actual throughput speed will vary. Speed and uninterrupted use of the service are not guaranteed. Simultaneous use of high bandwidth applications (such as downloading large files or streaming media) by multiple users may result in a decrease of speed. Rebate offer limited to Verizon local telephone residential customers ordering new DSL service. Credit card required for purchase of router. Other terms and conditions apply. State taxes apply where assessed. USF recovery fees and applicable taxes apply. Taxes on router not included in rebate. Home networking requires purchase of a router and may require wireless adaptors and Wi-Fi cards sold separately. Router must be ordered at same time as DSL. Customer must maintain DSL service for 30 days to qualify for rebate. Limit one rebate per household. Rebate must be submitted by 10/31/04. Please allow up to six weeks from receipt of your request for delivery of the rebate. ©2004. Verizon. All Rights Reserved.

Starting May 1, 2004, Verizon Online will begin adding a monthly Supplier Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) Recovery fee on DSL Service.

Verizon Online is assessed the FUSF fee by its suppliers (companies that provide the network services Verizon Online uses to bring you DSL service), which are required to contribute to the Federal Universal Service Fund on revenues they receive for transporting Internet services over telephone lines.

The fee will be no greater than the current quarterly rate set by the Federal Communications Commission to cover the FUSF fees Verizon Online pays to its suppliers. For the vast majority of our customers, the fee will be between $2.00-$3.00. Some customers with higher-grade DSL services, primarily business customers, will pay more depending on their type of service.

While the price of your Verizon Online DSL Internet service itself will be the same, your bill will now include this new additional monthly charge.

i've loved my comcast cable so far, since it defines your max REAL speed instead of max "theoretical" speed.

i had 640k dsl from qwest(which is still in my area, theyh avent upgraded here), which should be 80k/s, but i never passed 65, my cable is is 3 megabit, which should be 375k/s, i regularly reach 370-380, and meassure at 3100kbps on internet speed tests, such as this one:
http://giganews.com/comps/test_connect.mhtml

then again thats not a fair comparison since qwest is...well...disgusting

I had Verizon DSL for about 3 years.... earlier this year they were upgrading most of their users to 1.5mb connections for free, yet they kept us at 640 (or something around there) because our phone lines couldn't take it or some BS. Scrapped that and got Comcast cable which is twice as fast and a lot more consistent. When we had verizon, we had several incidences where the connection would just be lost up to a week at a time. I personally will never look back.

Goodbye Aohell! I'm switching my dad's line to this. Of course I would never give up my 3mbit cable line....its always fast (rural Iowa = i am the only heavy bandwidth user!)

somehow... I got verizon since 6/1

everyday... I have problems..

I face either..

no internet...

or internet connections slower THAN 33.6 K dialups...

I call them everyday...

and I go to the online cs for help..

I still have problems...

I hate dsl... I want comcast... I am sick of verizon and their sucky #@$%#@$ connections!

I currently have the 768/128 plan, and want to upgrade to this (which they do for free, if your line is compatible)

I've had to call 4 times to request the upgrade, and 3 out of the 4 times the request has been put through( my line was compatible). However, it never GOES through. The reps aren't bad or anything, it just seems that the request doesn't get processed. I have to call them again tomorrow :(.

thinking about switching to this if they have it in my area. sbc is getting pretty crappy, a week after i signed up for their 384k MAX $26.xx plan, they changed it to 384k-1.5!! What freakin BS. Now I'm stuck with 1 year contract with 5 months left. Anyone know if I can call them up and demand for more bandwidth? :p

not a joke though, anyone know if I can or not without getting changed up the ...

Jawadali said:
I currently have the 768/128 plan, and want to upgrade to this (which they do for free, if your line is compatible)

I've had to call 4 times to request the upgrade, and 3 out of the 4 times the request has been put through( my line was compatible). However, it never GOES through. The reps aren't bad or anything, it just seems that the request doesn't get processed. I have to call them again tomorrow :(.

What do you mean it "never goes through"? It took about 2 days for them to kill my current DSL on Frame Relay, and then I called back yesterday and the CSR said the upgrade went through, I just haven't gotten my new modem yet (if I don't get it by Monday, I'm calling back). Although, for myself, that concerns me; my order has been processed, but I didn't even get the new modem yet. I might be in the same boat as you pretty soon here. But... there have been way too many success stories with this upgrade for me to just to switch ISPs.

"It never goes through" means that the order to upgrade has been placed (lke 3-4 times), but the speed upgrade never comes. I run speed tests, and they are still in the 768k range.

It's partly because I'm on a remote terminal, and they have MUCH less control over them (they can't even fully monitor sppeds on the remote terminals).

Also, the hold times are pretty bad. The last time I called them, I was on hold so long, thet it eventually cut off on their end. I'll try to talk to a manager this time.

Also, I didn't hear anything about a new modem. But then again, I started subscribing last august, so I guess my modem is compatible.

When I phoned to get my rate adjusted, it was fairly prompt. There just seems to be a longer upgrade time for the speed increase if you are on a remote terminal.

weird Ameritech (aka sbc aka ma bell) has a deal for 26 bucks a month for dsl if you are a brand new user. That is a 1.5mb/256 connection without having to have previous status with the company.

Back