Verizon $14.95 deal going bye-bye

I use that VOL 15$ package. It get around 30-50ping on CS servers, which is good enough for me. I've played on T1 when I lived in dorms with one digit pings and anything below 25ping is just bragging rights. If you play MMO games then this package is definently good enough, probably good enough for a network of 3-4 people even.

What's weird is I get connected at 864/160, but I'm not going to call them up and complain ;)

hl3395 said:
What's weird is I get connected at 864/160, but I'm not going to call them up and complain ;)

It's all about proximity my friend ;). If you've got it, you've got it.

hl3395 said:

I got my parents on this plan (first broadband for them, w00t) and they get that speed. But then, I can walk to the Verizon building by their house in five minutes...

I called about the $14.95 deal and the lady told me it will be a new official offer and would not be ending anytime soon. Either case I am will be downgrading to this (from 1.5/384 at $34 a month) which actually was my original speed before calling them and getting a boost in speed. I didnt notice anything, downloads and pings stayed pretty much the same so I this offer seems worth it to me.

debaser_ said:
The up is 768k? I didnt think it was that high. Not bad for 20 bucks

That one's not gonna be $20 (I think it's 35.99 or 39.99, I don't work in billing), but I've never seen anything provisioned for less than 768 on the 3meg line.

Oldie said:
It's all about proximity my friend ;). If you've got it, you've got it.

Actually, that's standard. Most people get slightly above what they're provisioned for. Most of the time, the 1.5Mb lines are actually 1.6, the 3Mb lines are 3.66, and the 768 lines are usually 864.

Cool I pay $72 for this kind of service where I live(Guatemala).

twyztyr said:
Actually, that's standard. Most people get slightly above what they're provisioned for. Most of the time, the 1.5Mb lines are actually 1.6, the 3Mb lines are 3.66, and the 768 lines are usually 864.
All VOL DSL customers are over provisioned.

Just so you Verizon DSL guys know there may be a way for you to better latency for playing online games. Now this all depends in how close you are to your CO on whether you can have your data path switched over from Interleaved to FastPath.

To find out more about it, go to www.dslreports.com and search for Verizon DSL. There is a sticky about checking to see if you can get fastpath and the headache your about to cause yourself in trying to have Verizon switch you over. Once you find the right tech it takes all but two minutes to make the switch but it is worth it. My pings dropped back down to what they were when I was on cable.

Anyhow I just wanted to let you know there may be a way to make you Verizon DSL a little better.

BioVader said:
Just so you Verizon DSL guys know there may be a way for you to better latency for playing online games. Now this all depends in how close you are to your CO on whether you can have your data path switched over from Interleaved to FastPath.

To find out more about it, go to www.dslreports.com and search for Verizon DSL. There is a sticky about checking to see if you can get fastpath and the headache your about to cause yourself in trying to have Verizon switch you over. Once you find the right tech it takes all but two minutes to make the switch but it is worth it. My pings dropped back down to what they were when I was on cable.

Anyhow I just wanted to let you know there may be a way to make you Verizon DSL a little better.

hmm I tried searching and couldn't find anything, link?

sabrewolf732 said:
hmm I think I'm getting screwed, I get 1.5/384 from VOL and I pay $30 a month :rolleyes:

Same here, I was led to believe it was going to be 3.0/768 but they said they couldnt get those speeds so I only got 1.5/384 for $30 a month. Sucks in Va Beach with Cox for $49 a month I was getting 5Mbit/2Mbit..

same here, I thought I was gonna get 3/768, but bam no 3/768 not supported, have a nice day. Btw thanks for the link

DriveEuro said:
It should be sufficient for online gaming.
Just barely...most dsl connections suck for latency and 768/128 will at times be marginally better than dial-up.

joemama said:
Just barely...most dsl connections suck for latency and 768/128 will at times be marginally better than dial-up.

No, not at all. I have pinged down to 15 in some servers. Average I would say is about 50-70 in CSS. In ut Im about 50-90 depending on server. Also, 768/128 is plenty of bandwidth for gaming :rolleyes: Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth. Whereas with dial up the best ping I could possibly get in UT was around 250, late at night. In the day it would be 350-500. Imo, anything over 150 is unplayable, 120-150 is pushing it. Also, the 768/128 connection maxes out at around 90KBs, whereas when I had dial up I was happy as hell if I could consistently get over 4.5.... (4+ was good, 3 was mediocre)

To the people who whine about having dsl and getting like a 80 ping, it is because your connection is interleaved with parity bits. Call Verizon and tell them to put you on fast path and your pings will drop a lot.

I am pretty sure interleaved is the default used for new customers. You gotta ask them to change it. When i got my service bumped from 768 to 1.5 I had to ask them to change it for me.

I figured I wouldn't go through the hassle, tbh, I'm okay with a 50-80 ping, I still come out on top in ut :p

sabrewolf732 said:
I figured I wouldn't go through the hassle, tbh, I'm okay with a 50-80 ping, I still come out on top in ut :p

It only takes like 3 minutes once you get in touch with a live person. It doesnt cost anything extra either. Worth it IMO cause 80 ping was horrible in q3 :p

sabrewolf732 said:
hmm, how much will it decrease my ping? Idk, I might do it.

My lowest in game of q3 went from like 65-70 to 20-30. Same servers and all. Changes took effect within 5 minutes of getting off the phone. If they dont know what youre asking for just ask for a higher level tech. The level 1 woman knew exactly what i was talking about as soon as i asked, but YMMV.

Reading threads like this makes me sad, heh... The telco and cable company are playing such a ruthless game on us locals down here, the only other choice is one small/local ISP that had to fight an uphill battle to even have the right to provide DSL (not sure if the federal laws don't apply for this purpose down here or if they were just lazy in implementing them).

My DSL is $40/month for 512 / 256 kbps (and that's a recent change, it used to be 256/128 for the previous 2-3 years), my pings are usually 70-90ms and that's with fastpath enabled... Well worth it btw, any tech that knows what he's doing should be able to arrange it for you, with interleaving on they were 130-150 so it's a substantial improvement...

As I understand it, interleaving is just some form of error correction that isn't needed for the vast majority of aplications (most lines in Europe are set to fastpath by default), the reason why they usually leave it on here seems to be related to future aplications like VoIP and future TV programming over the line, etc.

If I were to go with cable it'd be $35 for 4 mbps / 256 mbps but the pings aren't any better and from what I've heard the service has been in a downward sipral since Adelphia sold it off to a different company. Not that the DSL has been much better, they recently had a huge boost in subscriber base but didn't plan ahead for it so many people suffered thru several months of 1K ms pings at primetime and other stupidity. :eek:

Impulse said:
Reading threads like this makes me sad, heh... The telco and cable company are playing such a ruthless game on us locals down here, the only other choice is one small/local ISP that had to fight an uphill battle to even have the right to provide DSL (not sure if the federal laws don't apply for this purpose down here or if they were just lazy in implementing them).

My DSL is $40/month for 512 / 256 kbps (and that's a recent change, it used to be 256/128 for the previous 2-3 years), my pings are usually 70-90ms and that's with fastpath enabled... Well worth it btw, any tech that knows what he's doing should be able to arrange it for you, with interleaving on they were 130-150 so it's a substantial improvement...

As I understand it, interleaving is just some form of error correction that isn't needed for the vast majority of aplications (most lines in Europe are set to fastpath by default), the reason why they usually leave it on here seems to be related to future aplications like VoIP and future TV programming over the line, etc.

If I were to go with cable it'd be $35 for 4 mbps / 256 mbps but the pings aren't any better and from what I've heard the service has been in a downward sipral since Adelphia sold it off to a different company. Not that the DSL has been much better, they recently had a huge boost in subscriber base but didn't plan ahead for it so many people suffered thru several months of 1K ms pings at primetime and other stupidity. :eek:

AFAIK and what I have been told, the reason that interleaving was placed into the DSL spec is because, as you said, they had things such as phone and video in mind. Error correction isnt that important with most things because packets can be easily retransmitted. This is fine for downloads and webpages, but with streaming content like video and voice it isnt.

If im wrong, let me know. This is just what I have been told and read on other msg boards.

Back