Verizon $14.95 deal going bye-bye

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine works for Verizon, and the $14.95 768/128 deal is going away. If you're not familiar with this, basically you agree to one year of service. You get the first month free, and then 11 months at $14.95/month. Unless you have a need for better bandwidth, it's a smokin deal. According to him, it's only got 3-5 days left in most markets. It's not everywhere, but it's worth checking out, and existing customer can sign up as well.

Oldie said:
A friend of mine works for Verizon, and the $14.95 768/128 deal is going away. If you're not familiar with this, basically you agree to one year of service. You get the first month free, and then 11 months at $14.95/month. Unless you have a need for better bandwidth, it's a smokin deal. According to him, it's only got 3-5 days left in most markets. It's not everywhere, but it's worth checking out, and existing customer can sign up as well.

Tell him to up my F-ing bandwidth!

Where I live, the only thing they offer is the shitty 768/128 plan at $14.95 a month. I would gladly pay a little more if they offered other packages...

hey..shit i was goign to order this. is it fast enough to play games online without lag? compared to optimum online?

sufficient...meaning just as good as optimum online? (talking about latency. obviously, it won't have the download speed)

johnnq said:
sufficient...meaning just as good as optimum online? (talking about latency. obviously, it won't have the download speed)
I've never seen a DSL service that can match the low latency of Cable. I'd never switch from Cable (Until Verizon releases that ultra-high speed thing), I'm too used to Counter-Strike at <15 ping ;)

OregonLAN said:
Tell him to up my F-ing bandwidth!

Where I live, the only thing they offer is the shitty 768/128 plan at $14.95 a month. I would gladly pay a little more if they offered other packages...

That stinks I've got ther 3MB, but it isn't $14.95 more like $40+ tax.

intogamer said:
barely

1.5mp/376 is standard for gaming
Maybe 384Kbps up is necessary if you're running a 4+ player gaming server or have multiple players on the same internet connection.

128Kbps upstream is fine for gaming clients. I did that for years before SBC raised my upstream bandwidth from 128Kbps to 256Kbps a few months ago. Doom3 uses less than 64Kbps and Halo is a pig at up to 256Kbps. Virtually all other games are fine at 128Kbps upstream.

pxc said:
Maybe 384Kbps up is necessary if you're running a 4+ player gaming server or have multiple players on the same internet connection.

128Kbps upstream is fine for gaming clients. I did that for years before SBC raised my upstream bandwidth from 128Kbps to 256Kbps a few months ago. Doom3 uses less than 64Kbps and Halo is a pig at up to 256Kbps. Virtually all other games are fine at 128Kbps upstream.

hmmm well I don't mean upstream that much.

my 1.5 connection gets average pings... boot up BT or download something it gets choppy

killa price
i think my parents pay $200/mo for commerial 8MB cable

my friend has optimum online and gaming is almost instant. my question is, will this cheapie $15 a month be as fast?

johnnq said:
my friend has optimum online and gaming is almost instant. my question is, will this cheapie $15 a month be as fast?

try 15 a month... if it is not suitable I'm sure they will let you upgrade to 1.5mb

Optimum is the best service I've ever had bar none. Like the post suggests, this is great for certain uses. Extremely cheap. Off course it's not as good as optimum though which is known to have better speeds and by the mere fact of being cable tends to be better for gaming.

768 is fine for gaming, u wont experience any lag. ping in cs will average around 50-60?? i gamed on 768 for a couple years and never had any problems, note my dsl was verizon also.

This is a smoking deal.

As for all the naysayers, PXC has it correct. Furthermore its not the bandwidth its the latency. You can multilink 100 56k modems to get 5.6Mbit of throughput, guess what, its still dialup latency. 768/128 is just fine for gaming. Dduurrrr, if you fire up BT downloads, you're going to saturate your up and downstream in a hurry.

HiJon89 said:
I've never seen a DSL service that can match the low latency of Cable. I'd never switch from Cable (Until Verizon releases that ultra-high speed thing), I'm too used to Counter-Strike at <15 ping

Without being sarcastic, cable and DSL is a YMMV thing. Sure you may have never seen good latency over DSL but I can say I've never seen cable that can beat my DSL. See, its all about your provider. My cable provider sucks, my DSL provider doesnt. FWIW I get 8ms pings on my DSL.

d94 said:
killa price
i think my parents pay $200/mo for commerial 8MB cable

Jesus I was only paying $49 for 5Mbit/2Mbit with cox before I moved. Now I am stuck with 1.5/512 DSL. Digital Slow Line in comparison.

You guys should be thankful you have options.... Where I live, Centurytel (the telecom company here) has a monopoly on the area, and I live just outside of where comcast provides cable service... Therefore, until very recently, I had 512 and then 768/256 DSL and haven't had problems with ping. Now thankfully they upped it to 1mb/256, but still, same ping..

Ping is unrelated to the size of your pipe until you saturate it (which obviously is easier to do with a smaller pipe).

The worst part about my DSL? it's $40 a month! The same thing is $14.95 with Verizon! IT SUCKS!

HiJon89 said:
I've never seen a DSL service that can match the low latency of Cable. I'd never switch from Cable (Until Verizon releases that ultra-high speed thing), I'm too used to Counter-Strike at <15 ping ;)
FYI, dsl can own cable with pings...
When i play CS:S with my speakeasy dsl, pings of 7 or 8 are the lowest I get for like 8 servers, and many others are around the 12-15 range.

uhh i game on my 608 dsl connection (thats right, 608, not 768) and i usually get less than 30 ping in cs...and thats on 20+ player servers.

I work for VOL. The deal is that since we've had this stupid fucking promotion, we've had almost a million people sign up. There isn't enough capacity in most COs. Try to place your order but don't be surprised if it never goes through.

clickclickw00t said:
Guys, any idea if optimum will provide the Fiber Optic shit soon or no?

Nope.

But they are in the process of upgrading everyone to 15/2 MBits within the next few months. 30/2 is also available for 10 or 15 bucks more a month.

twyztyr said:
I work for VOL. The deal is that since we've had this stupid fucking promotion, we've had almost a million people sign up. There isn't enough capacity in most COs. Try to place your order but don't be surprised if it never goes through.
any info on what the fastest dsl you're going to offer is?

Isn't Comcast available where any of you live? I have 6mbps/384k for $42.95 a month.

The best you can get for 20 bucks with verizon is 3/384. I think i could deal with that since its half the price of cable.

mmv said:
Nope.

But they are in the process of upgrading everyone to 15/2 MBits within the next few months. 30/2 is also available for 10 or 15 bucks more a month.

When will I know that I have had this changed.

I have Cablevision in Long Island. Will I have to call them to ask for the 15/2 or will they do it automatically?

I have the Triple plan -

1) 1 Phone line with caller id, call waiting, etc.
2) 3 Cable Boxes with All cable chanells incldng ALL on demand channels and movie chanels
3) Optimum online.

I pay $125 a month. Its not bad IMO, mainly cuz my dad is the one paying. So far we havnet' really had any problems.

I would really like htat 15/2 as soon as I can though.

2FAST4U said:
Isn't Comcast available where any of you live? I have 6mbps/384k for $42.95 a month.

Yes it is, and I get bandwidth like this:

speedtest.jpg

But a lot of folks are still stuck on dial up, soley because of the cost of broadband. $14.95 though, is a lot cheaper than the ~$50/month I pay, and puts broadband within reach for just about everyone.

Oldie said:
Yes it is, and I get bandwidth like this:

speedtest.jpg

But a lot of folks are still stuck on dial up, soley because of the cost of broadband. $14.95 though, is a lot cheaper than the ~$50/month I pay, and puts broadband within reach for just about everyone.

How can I test my bandwidth like that?

killa62 said:
any info on what the fastest dsl you're going to offer is?

The fastest in most places is 3Mb/768Kb. That's not part of the $14.95 package though.

There are some places that have a 7Mb downstream line. As far as I know, it's only in areas near Boston.

twyztyr said:
The fastest in most places is 3Mb/768Kb. That's not part of the $14.95 package though.

There are some places that have a 7Mb downstream line. As far as I know, it's only in areas near Boston.

The up is 768k? I didnt think it was that high. Not bad for 20 bucks

i'm using verizon right now, but not the 14.95 plan. that speed should be enough for gaming, although it won't be if you've got a lan set up and people are dling or using torrents on your network..

and i've never seen ANY dsl beat optimum.. been missin it ever since we moved.. :(

I pay $35, but I have more bandwith. I used to pay $40 and they lowered it to $35 when they had a $30 deal two years ago. So I called them again hoping they would lower it again. Thats when they told me they couldnt because I had a lot more bandwith. However, they upped my upload rate a bit at no extra charge :) I notice a marked difference when I download using bit torrent.

So even if they dont give you a discount, you should talk to them. Call them up and tell them "hey Ive been with you guys X number of years and Im a loyal customer. I heard about this deal on tv. Can I get in on it?" Even if they dont hook you up, they may add bandwith or something.

P.S. That works with some credit card companies too. You can call them up with the same "Im a loyal customer w/you for X years" line and ask them to lower your apr or even up your limit.

Back