Venice 3800 vs. San Diego 4000 vs Manchester 3800

Haven

Supreme [H]ardness
I know this will seem like a noob question, but I haven't been able to find enough information to help me with my purchase. I have read through the stickied threads here, and they have helped, but I still have questions.

First, I am not OverClocking this computer

Now that I have that out of the way. What are the differences in these processors? I am mainly using this machine for gaming. From looking at the specs, the Manchester A64 X2 3800+ is the lowest Clock at 2Ghz. The A64 San Diego 4000+ and the Venice 3800+ are both 2.4Ghz. Will this make a difference?

The 4000+ has 1MB of Cache, where the X2 3800+ has 2x512KB Cache, and the Venice has 512KB Cache. I know in theary the 1MB cache should be better, and I am guessing the 2x512KB might be as good if not better than the 1MB. Am I right on that?

What will the X2 really do for my game playing?

There is only a $50 difference between the lowest and highest prices on these processors. So I am not too worried about the price.

So which will give me the best bang for my money?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I say if your may objectives gaming San-Diego but thats just me... and the Manchesters a dual core so supposeably its easier to multi-task... I find AMD 64's to be snapper then my P4 I have now just a tad slower in some task... such as copying etc...

Manchester for more responsive general computing, San Diego for strictly gaming performance.

I don't know how CPU-limited games are currently, not much at this level of processor I would think.

SilverMK3 said:
I don't know how CPU-limited games are currently, not much at this level of processor I would think.
mostly gpu limited at normal resolutions. :cool:

the real question would be how long do you plan on keeping the cpu?

At least two years, if not 3. My current system I purchased two years ago or so. I am just finding it a bit slow in BF2, CS:S, and a few other games. So I figured it was time to upgrade.

When I bought the Barton 3200+, the A64's had just come out and the lowest price on them was around $600 or so. I also plan on upgrading the video card at the same time to a 7800GT. So the overall effect should be a very nice snappy system.

I just haven't been able to figure out which processor to go with.

Back