Velocity introduces [H] exclusive PC!

Velocity Micro Deals

Official VM Representative
In celebration of the holiday weekend, Velocity Micro introduces the first ever PC specifically designed for [H], the Vector H5. Available only to the [H] community, the Vector H5 is a barebones special - start with the basic foundation and build up to your heart's desire. Comes with free 5-7 day shipping and lead time of 7-10 days. Customize your own here.

Don't forget to submit your entry for the "What's Your Velocity?" video contest. Deadline is June 1st. Grand prize is a $10,000 Raptor gaming PC. Check out the details and official contest rules here - what are you waiting for?

No offense, but "build up to your heart's desire?"

Mobo choices: 1
CPU choices: 1
CPU cooler choices: 2
RAM choices: 2

I'll stop there. I applaud your efforts though VM guy/gal (?).

Agreed. A mATX 610i motherboard, and an processor thats nopw outdated due to Penryn, is not really aimed at enthusiasts.

I'd give it a "h"......;)

No where near [H]ard enough. My mom might like one for email though.:eek:

A nice thought. Thanks for thinking of us.

I like how its $250 to upgrade the graphics card to 8800gt..... that you can buy for $180

sigh, i know that most people buy these systems for the support and lack of computer knowledge. that said, most people that frequent the site are in the know. With that in mind i can't see how a system that costs as much as it does gets this kind of mention. i mean i added a 8800 gt and 4gb of mem and 750gb hard drive. total cost $1,200 lol? i can build that same system for half and with better proc at that. then again what do i know...

When I saw the title I was hoping for some cool case that had [H] on it or something. That alone would be worth something. :)

I agree with the above posts, but nice try anyway.

Gotta go with everyone else... Appreciate the thought, won't be buying one or recommending it to anyone. Too expensive for a system that doesn't offer a 9600, doesn't have a decent board, has a power supply of unknown quality, a mediocre-at-best CPU heatsink, and which offers one of the worst sound cards on the market as its only upgrade (i realize that most people run onboard now, but not everyone does, and the creative cards are still garbage)

I was actually thinking it was a competition to win one, don't like the case choice (it's lian-li or nothing), and the choice of parts could do with updating.

Just about every optional upgrade is highly over priced not to mention the inflated starting price... yet its geared toward a forum where people constantly scan retailers for "Hot Deal" material.

I am in the process of finalizing a HTCP that is slightly better than this one, in whole for less that half of what they are charging... (mine includes a 9600 GT :D)

Nice to be thought of, but I doubt your gonna win anyone over with those prices.

I don't see anything in it that can be labeled as [H]ard. I really goota go with everyone else on this one. You have next to ZERO choices of the parts you put in it, the case is butt ugly, the highest end card you can put in it is not very high end, etc. They state for the "power user on a budget?" Or "build the ultimate gaming rig?" Seriously? It's insanely expensive for what you get, and ultimate gaming rig, it is not.

I admire the effort, but surely they know that we have better sense than that. Do they REALLY know their audience here?

I'm sure someone's heart is in the right place but I can't find an inch of "damn that's a good deal" anywhere in this Memorial Day Holiday deal. Having said that, one could say, the holiday must not mean that much to Velocity if this deal is any indicator.

BTW, what makes it designed for this site? There's no savy link or anything that says "this is a HARDOCP baby"

The choices are hardly choices for enthusiast of the stature that frequents here anyway. The PSU speak "SLI? ....Never!!" The CPU is cool but it's the only choice given. That's not cool.

I'm sorry to be negative. But surely, you could appeal to the members here with something more and for Memorial day, you could even take a little more off the top for the members that are Veterans. Everyone wins and it shows you're thinking on many fronts. But like this, it breaks my heart :(

Thanks for the thought though--I think.

Yeah... So not [H]ard. I really like you guys, but this is a very Dell feeling "deal." There are no real choices here, so you can't mean "build to your heart's desire" that way, and if you mean it as providing a blank slate and letting us go out and get what we want ourselves, well then, why not give us a decent motherboard and the option to just not buy a processor? Would that be so difficult? You'd sure as hell get a lot more of this crowd interested, I think.

I'll be checking back, because if you do offer up something nice and [H]ot, I think a lot of us would be quite interested!

OK, I got the message.

Here's the concept: We have some not quite bleeding edge parts to sell, we have a really smart target customer group that can use a base config to add their own parts to, cut out the keybd/mouse and longer warranty, and see if there is a match. This makes sense for plenty of shoppers, but not everyone. If you can find the upgrades you want somewhere else for less, that's completely cool with us - kinda the idea actually.

We already have the higher end systems many of you want, but this is something we have not tried. Give it a chance to see how others like it. By the way, look again at the cases!

I sincerely appreciate the feedback - this is a work in progress!

Randy

Just a suggestion to the VM guy:

The X-Fi Xtreme Audio card is a pretty poor choice for gamers, since it isn't a true X-Fi processor-based card. Consider at least offering the (only slightly more expensive) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer as your upgrade, or the basic ASUS Xonar DX, as the Xtreme Audio isn't really an upgrade from onboard sound.

Also consider offering some CPU options. The E6850 isn't bad, but only one CPU choice isn't very flexible. The option of a Q6600 or Q9300 would certainly spice things up a bit.

Everything else seems okay for a decent gamer-on-a-budget system; perhaps not an enthusiast system, but then again, enthusiasts often build their own. With those two changes, I'd have options to recommend it to, say, friends whose kid wanted a fun system.

Wow...I was hoping for something truly [H]ard -- wife is out of town, she knows I want a new computer, and this woulda been a good excuse. So much for that...

i say since it is a barebones that if i had the money i would consider it.

VM is trying something new so give them a chance, i mean not all of these places are just crawling to give [H] there own bare bones pc to build on. get the base system and upgrade it as you like. (just what the VM guy/gal said).

I actually apriciate the fact that there atleast trying to do something for [H], might not be a steal, but atleast there trying!

my .02

Also consider offering some CPU options. The E6850 isn't bad, but only one CPU choice isn't very flexible. The option of a Q6600 or Q9300 would certainly spice things up a bit.

I think the gist of it was to order the minumum spec and swap in your $200 microcenter G0 stepping quad, beefy psu, 9600, etc. the left over parts can go to upgrading your girlfriend's / mom's / girlfriend's mom's desktop. I can draw you a picture if you need one..

How is this even close to the TD barebones deal @ $399? VM isn't even trying with this one.

I think the gist of it was to order the minumum spec and swap in your $200 microcenter G0 stepping quad, beefy psu, 9600, etc. the left over parts can go to upgrading your girlfriend's / mom's / girlfriend's mom's desktop. I can draw you a picture if you need one..

Bingo, burnin8r! That's the idea - the options are for the people who just want us to install them instead of shopping and buying and installing themselves.

BTW, the E6850 processor - even at stock 3GHz - absolutely rocks, and I'm really proud of our PSUs. This is a great deal for an assembled, OS installed, and warrantied box, and way below the margins we need to charge the general public to keep the lights on.

I priced these parts seperately online and calculated over $600, and our shipping is free. Yes, lots of you can buy and build for somewhat less than $849, but can you image any other boutique trying this?

Keep sending the suggestions to make this better, but please be constructive if you can!

Here are some suggestions:
Offer a soundcard with hardware decoding, and EAX 5 support
Let us get it without an OS
Don't charge 2x retail for the GPU, and offer 9600gt
Internal pics of the case would be great

I still couldn't justify dishing out $850 for a barebones kit where I'm just going to swap out parts...

Since that's the direction you're taking this there are a few things to improve on.
1. More choices
2. More [H] components

Yes, I understand that you want this to be a barebones kit so we can swap stuff out of. But what's the point at that price? You kill off options and say "But we're giving you a great ____." Of course you are, but what's the point of putting in a higher end dual core like that if you just expect it to be swapped out. It's understandable to think that parts will be swapped out, but the way you're serving it, most, if not all, parts would be swapped out, thus defeating the point in even buying this. Listen to what we say if you really want to appeal to us. Right now, your [H] exclusive is pretty weak.

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM - $23.99
HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725025VLA380 (0A33423) 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $59.99
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail - $48.00
EVGA 112-CK-NF72-K1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce e-7050/610i Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $69.99
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail - $184.99
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM w/ SP1 - $94.99
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR-A3 460W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply - Retail - $29.99
LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $79.99

These items are priced off of newegg, and are either the same, or as close to the same as whats offered in the H5.

The total is $686.92 with shipping. There is $30 worth of rebates not included in the total.

Is it worth $162 to have it pre-assembled? I don't think so...

Mr. Prez of WM, if the main idea is to attract those people who just want VM to install their hardware instead of shopping and buying and installing themselves is on the surface admirable but way off in terms of "market" and "incentive". I understand that building on a "barebone" system to be a good alternative to the DIY grind. You're not giving much in the way of "choice" while still considering "long term" solutions to this type of market. If I am to believe your strategy; putting together something that even the "enthusiast" can build on would almost have to mean you need to increase the variety (choices) or limit it even more to a barebone kit of sorts. This "in between" solution can't appeal to many this way. And the fact that u underscored this deal as exculsive to [H] without anything spectular won't help. Although I can applaud the effort, it just seems gimmiky and not in the best interest of consumers that dwell here.

As for incentive, aside from saving some time to build the machine, one can feasibly have it built in a short few days locally than going through the process of order/build/QC and transport. Top that off without the the lack of options, what real incentive is there to have a machine built from VM?

This market nitch here on [H] for the most part is pretty tight. They are conscious of quality, long term benefits and how much it'll cost to get there. If all your offering is a name with a limited pool of options, you're probably lucky the responses haven't been more aggressive in tone. Again, in the interest of good, I thank you for trying to offer something sweet for the masses. Good luck!

If you're going to be rude, why say anything at all? I certainly wasn't in my original post. However, if that's what you want, and if you want to draw pictures (points) kindergarten class is that way, I won't stop you.

If I help someone buy something, the idea is to just buy it. Not buy something only to immediately rip parts out of it, upgrade, and then have to find an outlet for the other parts. Often I won't have that outlet, and those parts are immediately used and I lose money. I already have enough spare parts without adding to my inventory, so if I have to do swap-outs like these, I'll just build the whole system for that person instead and skip Velocity Micro, so my advice was meant to be a helpful suggestion, not an insult.

I wasn't suggesting they offer every CPU under the sun, either. I figured one dual-core and one quad-core option would be an excellent choice, as Velocity Micro is regarded as a gaming PC manufacturer, and having one of each would be an excellent gaming choice. I didn't criticize power supply, or graphics card options either.

I wasn't suggesting they offer every CPU under the sun, either. I figured one dual-core and one quad-core option would be an excellent choice, as Velocity Micro is regarded as a gaming PC manufacturer, and having one of each would be an excellent gaming choice. I didn't criticize power supply, or graphics card options either.

they can either cast a wider net (more cpus) or not include a choice many will not want as their first choice to start. Thats the problem I think I see in this offer. In theory, getting a system that you can upgrade is great but I'm not willing to settle for the 8400 when I want the 9300 and I'm definately not willing to choose a board that won't allow me to upgrade at least one generation later. I would consider a typical barebone computer built by VM so I can have their nify cases with say a 780/790 ultra (no cpu), DDR3 and possibly a sound card. These pieces should outlive the initial changes that people go through almost month to month on the "need to have" scale (video cards, CPUs and HDDs).

I think I "get it" with the concept. I have 3 suggestions.

1. Offer winXP as an option. Any flavor, home, pro, MCE, whatever. Just anything but vista.
2. Offer a more reasonable price for the 8800GT. It's about $30-$50 high even before those irritating mail in rebates knock another $20-$40 off the price.
3. Offer one better mobo option. CPUs drop in price so fast that some people change them more often than lightbulbs, but you need a decent mobo as a starting point.

Other than that, it seems to make sense. It's a custom and customizable computer with good build quality and a better warranty that parting it out myself.

Bingo, burnin8r! That's the idea - the options are for the people who just want us to install them instead of shopping and buying and installing themselves.

BTW, the E6850 processor - even at stock 3GHz - absolutely rocks, and I'm really proud of our PSUs. This is a great deal for an assembled, OS installed, and warrantied box, and way below the margins we need to charge the general public to keep the lights on.

I priced these parts seperately online and calculated over $600, and our shipping is free. Yes, lots of you can buy and build for somewhat less than $849, but can you image any other boutique trying this?

Keep sending the suggestions to make this better, but please be constructive if you can!

Here's some ideas:

Give options for No HDD/Optical drives.
Vista 64 should be a no charge option... Why it costs 15 extra is beyond me, licensing is the same is it not?
Give a 1gb memory option.

Considering you label it as a barebones, you might as well make it a REALLY low end machine, Chances are most people who have upgrade parts lying around have harddrives, Optis, and DDR2 ram out the ass too :D ;) My ONE REALLLLLLLLYYYY big thank you for this, is Free GX cases. The GX-W Blue was so fricking cool. I was pissed when you ousted it. ;)

I like how the VM Rep never chimes back in, his he/she on vacation or is the truth that this deal takes advantage of the unknowing, and he doesnt care?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've made some changes to the configurator. (sorry for the blurry case photo)

I've upgraded the motherboard to 750i, downgraded the CPU to the E6320 (a great overclocker) to hold the cost the same, and added more video cards and processors. Hope this helps some of you not quite happy with the original config. Not everybody will be happy until we sell this way below cost, I get it. Let's see how this goes.

Improved.
Case still needs an [H] etched on the window or somewhere on the front.....;)

Thanks for listening to all the comments.

Question: if you bought one of these, removed the stuff you didn't want and replaced some core components, would it void the warranty????:eek:

The warranty would still be good for the original parts in the system, Magoo. The [H] is Kyle's trademark, so it's not that easy. I like the thinking.

I'd consider it more if it included the trademark velocity micro case for no extra charge. The one featured in the ad floating around above ^^

The Velocity Micro case was one of the MAIN reasons I considered velocity way back in the day when I was a nub.

I like how the VM Rep never chimes back in, his he/she on vacation or is the truth that this deal takes advantage of the unknowing, and he doesnt care?

People do sleep at night. You posted at 4am.

At least he is TRYING to make it worth it to us consumers, without making his BUSINESS worthless.

Back