Vega's Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Titan Portrait Surround Gloss Build

l88tbastard, if you have displays you are going to throw out, you might want to consider donating them instead to Blur Busters for future tests. As long as the rest of the display is usable (e.g. only a corner is damaged, etc). There are also homebrew strobe backlight experiments, so I need sacrifical displays (semi-functional). One aspiration I have is to collect every model of LightBoost, and run an i1 Pro on all of them at various settings, as a grand LightBoost comparison test sometime by end of 2013. I also have a need for a reference CRT (e.g. FW900) for my upcoming Arduino Input Lag Meter tests. Skip the HardForum For Sale/Trade section and PM me directly.

P.S. Accepting beta testers for input lag meter, if you're a programmer & you're able to build a simple Arduino circuit (no soldering required).

Last edited:
So Vega, would you say these are better than the Q270's?

I've been toying with shifting my 2B Q270 and going for one of these Lightboost ones, although not sure which one currently swaying towards Benq XL2720T 27"

l88tbastard, if you have displays you are going to throw out, you might want to consider donating them instead to Blur Busters for future tests. As long as the rest of the display is usable (e.g. only a corner is damaged, etc). There are also homebrew strobe backlight experiments, so I need sacrifical displays (semi-functional). One aspiration I have is to collect every model of LightBoost, and run an i1 Pro on all of them at various settings, as a grand LightBoost comparison test sometime by end of 2013. I also have a need for a reference CRT (e.g. FW900) for my upcoming Arduino Input Lag Meter tests. Skip the HardForum For Sale/Trade section and PM me directly.

P.S. Accepting beta testers for input lag meter, if you're a programmer & you're able to build a simple Arduino circuit (no soldering required).

I was so mad when the AG tore up that screen that I literally threw it off my balcony, so there was not much left of that one. On my current 3x1 setup my left display has issues glue streaking & dead pixel issues due to poorly implemented AG removal on my part. Vega actually salvaged that screen for me but Im thinking of having him do another up for me so I can have perfect uniformity with the two that I got from him. If and when I do that I will donate the gimpy display to you for science ;)

So Vega, would you say these are better than the Q270's?

I've been toying with shifting my 2B Q270 and going for one of these Lightboost ones, although not sure which one currently swaying towards Benq XL2720T 27"
Depends on whether colors is more important, or fluidity is more important. LightBoost is a color downgrade (although a little less major with some models).

Vega seems to consider fluidity more important.
Here's one of his quotes:

Vega said:
Oh my, I just got Skyrim AFK camera spinning (which I used to test LCD’s versus the FW900) to run without stutters and VSYNC locked to 120. This Benq with Lightboost is just as crystal clear if not clearer than the FW900 motion. I am in awe. More testing tomorrow. Any of my doubts about this Lightboost technology have been vaporized! I’ve been playing around with this fluid motion on this monitor for like 6-hours straight, that is how impressive it is.

Fresh from Overclock.net:
Mark Rejhon said:
ToastyX said:
I will have a solution for AMD/ATI users soon. It will also simplify the process for NVIDIA users.
It's been taking a while because as Mark said, they intentionally made it hard to enable (there's encryption involved). There are also some other implementation challenges that I'm currently working on. I want to make this work as smoothly as possible.
Ok, the cat is out of the bag.

I am beta testing this, and it's a godsend for triple LightBoost users.
Just run an executable and all 3 LightBoost monitors enable LightBoost simultaneously.
Even after they're already fully setup in surround.
This saves hours of pain.

(NOTE: Blur Busters Blog only officially supports LightBoost 2D on nVidia, and is testing only on nVidia)

Ultimately fluidity is what matters for me as the monitor is on my gaming machine, but I do love the quality of the Q270 and know i'll miss it.

Another reason for wanting to swap down to one of the lightboost monitors is for the lower native res, I want to push more FPS out of my setup while avoiding going SLI so moving back to 1080p will help with some games for a while.

So now the question is 144hz or 120hz by sounds of things it's down to which you can hit FPS wise.

So now the question is 144hz or 120hz by sounds of things it's down to which you can hit FPS wise.
Not necessarily. Even 100Hz LightBoost has less motion blur than 144Hz non-LightBoost. (For the same reason why CRT 60fps@60Hz has generally had less motion blur than traditional LCD 120fps@120Hz -- see comparision graph)

Well i've ended up going for the Benq XL2720T 27" so fingers crossed it will wow me enough that I don't regret sticking the Q270 up for sale :D

Bloody hard choice now, got the XL2720T running next to my Q270 and the color difference is a bigger problem than I thought it would be.

Forgot just how spoilt i've been with the Q270 running at 120hz and atm, going to give it a week at least before sending the XL2720T back.

Bloody hard choice now, got the XL2720T running next to my Q270 and the color difference is a bigger problem than I thought it would be.

Forgot just how spoilt i've been with the Q270 running at 120hz and atm, going to give it a week at least before sending the XL2720T back.
How does it look with and without LightBoost, when compared next to the Q270? Also, have you tried the 320.18 drivers (albiet buggy) which improves the LightBoost color?

You can't compare it to the Q270, it just looks awful side-by-side.

I'm currently using the 320.18 drivers and the colors just look washed out to me, sure it's nice and fluid but I don't see a huge difference least not in FPS games when focusing on the center of the screen.

If I hadn't had the Q270 i'd love it, but for me the quality just isn't enough for me to switch, also think don't think 1080p at 27" is right can see pixels which is annoying.

Oh well, just glad I didn't flog the Q270 first as least I can send XL2720T back and get a refund.

I'm currently using the 320.18 drivers and the colors just look washed out to me, sure it's nice and fluid but I don't see a huge difference least not in FPS games when focusing on the center of the screen.
120Hz monitors (LightBoost or otherwise) helps the most if you're tracking your eyes moving objects and on other things while you're moving about (e.g. turning, strafing, etc). People with habits of always staring at center of the screen at all times, may benefit more from 1440p. It depends on the game play styles. If you want to do rapid headshots without spending much time aiming, and circle-strafing, it works best with CRT-style gameplay styles (tracking your eyes everywhere), and that's easiest on high-refresh monitor.

Some people certainly prefer the 120Hz, and others the 1440p.

lowfat said:
I’m a definite convert now. Downgrading in resolution [from 1440p] hasn’t been a problem. In areas where I can maintain 120Hz, Lightboost makes a huge difference. It truly is like gaming on a CRT again. I really can’t wait till we start seeing IPS panels that take advantage of frame matched backlight strobing.

But, I realize not everyone prefers 120Hz over 1440p.

Well I was an avid CRT user and took my trust 21" Trinitron to many lan events around the UK back in the day, but for me the fluidity turned out not to be as important as image quality.

I know i've been spoiled with my Q270, but the improvements with lightboost (I certainly saw them) wasn't enough for me to keep it as just sitting on my desktop on the TN panel made me want to cry.

I use mac's on everything else other than my gaming machine and I think this has also tilted my views slightly.

Don't get me wrong it certainly is good tech, just not for me atm.

120hz "overclocked" 1440p monitors have worse than the 50% blur reduction non-lightboost 120hz TN's have. 1080p is also the sweet spot for around ~ $1k in gpus (a 690, two 680's , a titan.. or might get away with $650 with a gtx 780 overclocked now though) .. to supply 120hz monitors with enough newer, unique frames of game action. Some of the most demanding games even have to be turned down a bit to get over 100fps at 1080p (like tomb raider.. not even going to talk about crysis). 1080p allows you to supply 120hz monitors with adequate to abundant frames of more recent game action at high+ to ultra settings on enthusiast budgets without going to extreme gpu budgets.
The blur is very bad on 60hz monitors compared to 120hz ones. Continuing the comparisons, the lightboost motion camera tracking pictures show how much like crt lightboost can get motion wise.. essentially zero blur, zero detail loss. So, you have several tradeoffs:
... Lower frame rates at 2560x1440 on ($650 to) $1k or less in gpus results in less motion tracking improvement, which is separate from blur considerations. 120hz fed abundant fps results in many more recent slices of game action being shown per second. This provides both a smoother look and feel aesthetically, as well as increasing accuracy and reaction.
...2560x1440 or 1920x1080 120hz monitors have a lot more blur than lightboost or crt's. Every time you move your FoV at a decent rate, the entire viewport of very high detail modern textures, depth via bump mapping and other shaders. all high detail architecture and geography, etc.. will be lost in blur (where at 60hz it is even worse, smearing outside of the "shadow mask' of objects more).. When your viewport is more static, detail on fast moving objects in your view will still be lost in blur also.

2560x1440 120hz ips will have better color and detail but lower frame rate, likely inadequate frame rate to get the full benefit of 120hz refresh rate on enthusiast budgets at high+ to ultra settings on the more demanding games. (Best case being over 120fps to allow you to turn of vsync while having insignificant tearing). The color and detail will all be a blur during any decent speed FoV movement.

Lightboost will have worse color, TN shading/shadow off the center, suffer dim picture at the highest settings, and is lower rez (resolution being a plus depending how you look at it as I said above).

Edit: I am not recommending 1920x1080 resolution, a lightboost monitor, or even a fw900 crt over a higher resolution ips as a desktop monitor, only as a gaming monitor. The tradeoffs are so drastic that imo you are better off keeping a different monitor for desktop and gaming.

Last edited:
Fantastic!

If I had the funds I would purchase this setup in a heartbeat. I'll have to make due with a single 780.

Well I want to know if his setup is still running on a single 1500W PSU after a duration of time. That question would have been pointless ~6 months ago.

Yes, on 115V the PSU can handle 4 Titans up to about 1.3v, over that voltage it is too much. 220V input may be able to swing it, but I haven't tried.

That's with them running 1300MHz and the 3960X at 5.2Ghz as well?

I had the 4k igzo Asus, didn't like it. 4k won't be viable for gaming for a while, stuck at 60hz and terrible motion blur.

Back