Vega's Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Titan Portrait Surround Gloss Build

Vega, I say this with much respect and envy: you are one crazy motherfucker. :)

yup, 4 titans holy shit balls that's an epic and costly build. That's easily 4 large just in GPUs let alone w/c blocks

vega did you post benchmarks? If so I missed them i'll go back and search

:D

I'll be doing some more benchmarks, 2 vs 3 vs 4-way SLI also with a few more games.

Downloading Company of Heroes 2 now! :eek: This game is going to be so epic...

Let's see, for the 2 vs 3 vs 4-Way Titan SLI shootout, the list:

Company of Heroes 2
Crysis 3
Farcry 3
Battlefield 3
Valley 1.0
Witcher 2
Skyrim: Dragonborn
Metro2033

Any other thoughts?

FWIW I'd be interested in seeing SC2 benches I know it's not too demanding but in some games it can be intense

- such a crazy build again, kudos for the hw pr0n

I do have SC2, is Heart of the Swarm worth the upgrade? I think SC2 is mainly CPU limited game though.

EDIT: forgot I had Diablo 3 too!

Heart of the Swarm is awesome.

It might be CPU limited but you don't think your 5Ghz+ 6-core beast of a chip is going to be a limiting factor? :)

Ack, Blizzard wants $40 for the HotS. A bit pricey for an expansion eh?

Downloading Company of Heroes 2 now! :eek: This game is going to be so epic...

Let's see, for the 2 vs 3 vs 4-Way Titan SLI shootout, the list:

Company of Heroes 2
Crysis 3
Farcry 3
Battlefield 3
Valley 1.0
Witcher 2
Metro2033

Any other thoughts?

Do you still have GuildWars2 ?
Rift has a free to play to level 20 and so do a few other graphically demanding MMOs. Part of the reason they are so demanding is due to poor optimization and extreme view distances + objects in distance, shadows and ground clutter, high texture detail, etc and a lot of crazy magic effects going off at the same time.. at max/ultra/custom ("Ultra+). Aeon and other demanding graphic mmos might have f2p until mid level too idk. MMO's have sort-of a RTS backbone to them too so can be cpu dependent as well. Just curious - no sweat if you don't want to bother.

The new tomb raider seems to have pretty intense graphics, and the new Bioshock.

A lot of people would like to forget they had diablo3 I think btw. lol. I never picked that one up.

You could check out a few of the high rez screenshot threads on different forums if you want some ideas of some high graphics settings games. Keep in mind that many of the screenshots there are downsampled however, and they also use sweetFX (a global graphics tweaker).

Guru3D SweetFX download page
Effects included:

* SMAA Anti-aliasing : Anti-aliases the image using the SMAA technique - see http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/
* LumaSharpen : Sharpens the image, making details easier to see
* Bloom : Makes strong lights bleed their light into their surroundings
* HDR : Mimics an HDR tonemapped look
* Technicolor : Makes the image look like it was processed using a three-strip Technicolor process - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor
* Cineon DPX : Makes the image look like it was converted from film to Cineon DPX. Can be used to create a "sunny" look.
* Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
* Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
* Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
* Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
* Sepia : Sepia tones the image - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepia_tone#Sepia_toning
* Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting )
* Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditheri...age_processing )
* Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

It works with all 32bit DirectX 9 , 10 and 11 games (and many applications).

It works with all graphics cards as long as they support at least shader model 3.

It does NOT work with 64bit game executables - use the 32bit version of your game if it gives you a choice between 32 and 64bit.

HD screenshot threads

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506297&page=139

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1530070&page=59

edit: I think planetside2 is free to play now also.

Last edited:
Sorry no GW2. Thinking about getting Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider..

As for SweetFX, gonna check it out!

Here is the guy that works for NVIDIA applying the TIM to my 4th Titan right before his siezure:

051108089-03-close-pastry-bag_xlg.jpg

And the result:

OutofControl.jpg

I've got to win a prize for the most free TIM! Who can beat this! I got a shovel out of the garage and filled up a bucket about half way. :D

I've got to win a prize for the most free TIM! Who can beat this! I got a shovel out of the garage and filled up a bucket about half way. :D

LOL! I've seen worse, though not on a $1k GPU. Fortunately someone like you got this particular card and won't be affected by it.:cool:

You've seen worse?!

It's been like 15 years or more, I don't recall the specific system but I remember replacing a CPU fan on a relative's PC, and there was so much TIM on if that is started oozing onto the motherboard as soon as I took off the fan. It was the white pasty stuff they used back then but it almost looked like they just dipped the whole CPU in it.

Yikes 205FPS on valley that's the best I've seen by far! Pretty good scaling too - up from ~80ish for a single card right?

Are you going to include Tomb Raider in the tests?

I'd love to see what numbers you'd get with TressFX and everything else turned on. Game would look incredible on that kind of real estate as well :eek:

Anyone wanna loan an origin/steam account for Tomb Raider-Bioshock Infinite test? I am pretty trustworthy. ;)

Thought it might be worth bringing to your attention the new Asus X79 WS board, Vega. Looks like it'll support up to 4-way SLI at PCIe3x16. If I recall, you are forcing the R4E to run with PCIe3x8 across the 4 Titans. Might make it breath a lil' more?!

Ya, I've seen that one. Uses dual PLX chips like the Extreme 11 which I've had before. So far even with multi-monitor and 4x Titans I am not maxing out the RIVE when in 3.0 mode. So the PLX chips really wouldn't be necessary, actually add a hint of latency.

Benchmarks of all these games are going to take longer than expected. I keep playing the games instead of benching them. :D

Here is a benchmark run of F1 2012 at max graphical settings. 4-Way Titan's destroying it, 50-60% GPU usage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TScvN8AU6WM

It is hard to tell from a 30 FPS Youtube video, but this game is crazy awesome with the perfect motion clarity and Titan-SLI smoothness. :eek:

Was wondering how the AUTO over clocking the Titan's do, works with Water cooling? Also have you tried manualy over clocking them yet? Also great setup as always I have your old MO-RA3 sitting next to me. Can't belive it cool's all that with no issue.

Is there a particular reason you have the monitors oriented the way that you do? I'm just so used to seeing landscape setups. :)

But still - four titans... wow.

You should set up an exhibit at GDC, or E3, or QuakeCon, or one of the gaming conventions.
I'm not sure even nVidia has set up a rig quite like this.

You should set up an exhibit at GDC, or E3, or QuakeCon, or one of the gaming conventions.
I'm not sure even nVidia has set up a rig quite like this.

That would be pretty cool. I could only imagine moving this stuff!

On another note: I've also added a adjustable Step-up Power Converter to the pushing fans on the Radiator. This allows one to fine tune the flow and acoustic qualities to match your setup perfectly. ;)

That would be pretty cool. I could only imagine moving this stuff!
What if nVidia sponsored & insured your equipment for an all-expenses paid trip? They've probably earned enough profit on this ONE setup to pay for your airfare and hotel, at least!

I wonder what they would say if we contacted the right people...

Just three to five sales to shocked convention people who immediately drop $6000 on four GeForce Titans and three nVidia-certified 120Hz monitors, is an immediate significant profit-maker for nVidia even accounting for insurance and potential damage-replacement costs. It's a no-brainer sponsorship, IMHO. And good exposure for stroboscopic backlight technology, that should become more widely available, including in future IPS monitors.

It's also easier to demonstrate LightBoost zero-motion-blur than demonstrate stereoscopic; the specific people who are motion-blur sensitive, walking past this setup, will immediately stare with jaws on the convention floor, wondering what h*** the new technology is, they are seeing with their eyes.

Last edited:
ya, but not every has 6k to drop on a computer. Plus, alot of the people who do either already have a balls to the walls machine, or are fine with the machine they have. But i do agree with you on motion blur sensitive people.

Sweet job, always inspired to think of my own plans similar to yours vega. Do you have the model name for your xspc pump/res holder? Looks pretty slick

Yes, but even just three people (out of several thousands) buying four Titans, would automatically mean a profit for nVidia over the cost of sponsoring!

1%'rs do attend conventions too!

(As it also happens, the publicity for stroboscopic backlights, would also be priceless too.)

Plus lightboost is a huge selling point for Nvidia right now that they aren't marketing (or supporting officially yet) when they should be. I suspect official driver support would have to happen before they're willing to market it at a convention though.

What if nVidia sponsored & insured your equipment for an all-expenses paid trip? They've probably earned enough profit on this ONE setup to pay for your airfare and hotel, at least!

I wonder what they would say if we contacted the right people...

Just three to five sales to shocked convention people who immediately drop $6000 on four GeForce Titans and three nVidia-certified 120Hz monitors, is an immediate significant profit-maker for nVidia even accounting for insurance and potential damage-replacement costs. It's a no-brainer sponsorship, IMHO. And good exposure for stroboscopic backlight technology, that should become more widely available, including in future IPS monitors.

It's also easier to demonstrate LightBoost zero-motion-blur than demonstrate stereoscopic; the specific people who are motion-blur sensitive, walking past this setup, will immediately stare with jaws on the convention floor, wondering what h*** the new technology is, they are seeing with their eyes.

Ya, I am definitely all for advancing Lightboost tech. Let me know if you have any idead of who to contact, as I've never really thought about it.

ya, but not every has 6k to drop on a computer. Plus, alot of the people who do either already have a balls to the walls machine, or are fine with the machine they have. But i do agree with you on motion blur sensitive people.

Sweet job, always inspired to think of my own plans similar to yours vega. Do you have the model name for your xspc pump/res holder? Looks pretty slick

Here you go:

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/pumps/x2o-750-dual-bayrespump-black-v4/

I've always liked XSPC stuff. Good product for a decent price.

New video up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8loxkp4FN5Y

I think he meant it as a tech demo publicity thing, not to promote everyone buying such a max setup. A few people might though.

You can get a high end cpu and motherboard, single 1080p lightboost monitor, and dual 680's or a single titan and run most games at high, very high, or ultra settings with enough fps. Outside of the main pc, that would run you $300 (24") or $500+(27") for the lightboost monitor + around $1k for the 680x2 or titan. For people who already have nvidia titan , 680x2 sli fps or better, its just a monitor upgrade or $300 - $500+ to get zero blur gaming combined with the greatly increased motion tracking of 100hz or 120hz. People with a single 680 can still get 100fps or 120fps on games like skyrim on high, or BF3 on medium.
I think most people would appreciate the entire viewport being crisp motion and not suffering a soften blur every time you move your FoV, (not just accuracy-wise, but aesthetically) if they got a chance to see it. They have been fed blurry lcd movement for so long I think some people have lazy / blaze' vision during blur or something. It's been a very long time since some people have seen gaming on a high quality crt. Most younger people prob never have.

Smoothness means more frames per second due to higher hz input combined with fps that approaches, or better yet surpasses that number of hz. This smoothness people talk about is increased motion tracking due to more unique and more recent action 'slices' shown per second.
--A 60hz monitor can not compare to the smoothness of motion tracking of a 120hz or 144hz monitor at high fps, due to so many more unique, more recent frames of action being shown per second.
The other benefit of very low response time + aggressive response time compensation (RTC) 120hz input monitors is that they reduce the amount of blur during FoV movement.
---- A 60hz TN blurs horribly during FoV movement, a 60hz IPS would blur even worse.
----The 120hz TN's reduce this blur about 50% compared to a 60hz tn.
----The 120hz IPS (limited number of korean ips) blur a little worse than 50% compared to a 60hz TN.
----The 144hz 1ms TNs with 1ms Lightboost2 3D capability, set at 100hz and running 100+fps, or set at 120hz running 120+fps, result in ZERO BLUR during FoV movement.
FoV movement on LCD's is a blurred mess.
Reminds me of the "Allegory of the Cave".
Some are so used to wearing their slushy goggles they don't know what its like to see clearly.
the most modern, extremely high resolution texture mapped games , + bumpmapping depth and shaders, make my (60hz ips) lcd screen blur even more obvious and eye wrenching than before since the blur on fast FoV movement washes out that extremely high detail+3d depth my eyes "have a lock on" every time. It strains my eyes and is much more obnoxious to me than more than simpler textured/older games.

Most people seem to agree with this representation of 60hz/120hz *LCD/ CRT blur in games.

lcd-blur.jpg

So it appears to me that 120hz vs the limitation of LCD pixel response times and retinal retention blur would still not be enough to retain the focus on texture detail (much like fine text scrawled on a surface which gets smudged out) and bump map depth.

Its like you have goggles filled with some liquid-gel and every time you turn quickly, your eyes see all fine detail lost in a blurring. 120hz might replace your goggles with a fluid which has double the viscosity, blurring near half as much.. but its still a lousy prescription compared to clear sight imo.

The 1ms lightboost2 monitors result in the same full clarity as the crt representation.
Consider that blur effect on not just a single simple cartoon cell shaded car.. but rather on a scene, your entire "viewport" full of high detail objects, architecture, landscape, high detail textures, depth via bump mapping, shaders, etc all smearing out during FoV movement. I find it hard to label any monitor that smears like that a "superior picture" or "higher quality display" in regard to gaming. Desktop/app use is another matter, which is why I use a high ppi IPS next to my gaming monitor and intend to going forward. All about tradeoffs.

Ya, I am definitely all for advancing Lightboost tech. Let me know if you have any idead of who to contact, as I've never really thought about it.

Here you go:

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/pumps/x2o-750-dual-bayrespump-black-v4/

I've always liked XSPC stuff. Good product for a decent price.

New video up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8loxkp4FN5Y

Nice vid.. For some reason I think it should have a virtual servant like knight rider or star trek. lol. I don't think I'd be able to leave anything open like that in any of my main rooms with my two cats - they could be on that shelf in no time. I run my pc from a different closed off storage room/space so it's would not be a problem though.

Love the F1 triple monitor video and I'm looking forward to seeing any other games on your list you can manage to take a video of like that: :)
A problem with the other videos you and other people show of games is that you can't show zero blur or even 120hz of motion tracking in a video on someone's monitor that doesn't have it. (note: you also have to remember to turn off any motion blur settings in the game, especially racing games). The camera can't record it properly either, so even my fw900 won't help in that case.. So tech demos are one of the only ways people would get to see it in real life.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, motion blur settings are one of the first things I turn off! Most retarded "feature" ever put into games.

BTW anyone up on camcorders? Any decent 1080P ones that can capture 60 FPS and have good image stabilization that won't break the bank?

List of games I am testing:

Crysis 3
Farcry 3
Battlefield 3
Hawken
Company of Heroes 2
F1 2012
Witcher 2
Dirt 3
Tomb Raider
Bioshock Infinite
Rise of Flight
Digital Combat Simulator "World"
Mechwarrior Online
Diablo III

Oh crap I better stop. 15+ games all doing 4-Way, 3-Way, 2-Way is going to take forever lol. The thing that slows me down is switching between the SLI configurations I have to move DVI cables, re-set up the surround config etc. Then film each game..

That sucks having to move it .

You might want to prioritize , doing one of the best games per category (3rd person adventure, 1st person shooter, racing, etc), then revisit each category later. Just a suggestion.

Oh gosh, motion blur settings are one of the first things I turn off! Most retarded "feature" ever put into games.

BTW anyone up on camcorders? Any decent 1080P ones that can capture 60 FPS and have good image stabilization that won't break the bank?

List of games I am testing:

Crysis 3
Farcry 3
Battlefield 3
Hawken
Company of Heroes 2
F1 2012
Witcher 2
Dirt 3
Tomb Raider
Bioshock Infinite
Rise of Flight
Digital Combat Simulator "World"
Mechwarrior Online
Diablo III

Oh crap I better stop. 15+ games all doing 4-Way, 3-Way, 2-Way is going to take forever lol. The thing that slows me down is switching between the SLI configurations I have to move DVI cables, re-set up the surround config etc. Then film each game..

I don't know much about cameras - but the go pro hero 3 black can do 1080p@60fps as well as 4k @ 15fps and WVGA at 240fps (amongst others) which might be useful for showing detail as well as refresh. No zoom though. My neighbour works for them, I really need to persuade him with beers to leave one at my house.

Vega,

3D Mark world champion! (Well, almost!)

You should submit your quad Titan SLI rig to nVidia's Geforce SLI Rig Browser.

You could also make sure you include the LightBoost talk in your Caption description -- "3DMark11 of 33189. Crysis 3 at 120fps@120Hz with 3 monitor surround -- in LightBoost zero motion blur!"

Last edited:
For high-framerate filming, I actually really like Casio EX-FC200S which can film at variable framerates, 30fps (1080p), 120fps (VGA), 240fps (med-rez), 480fps (low-rez), and 1000fps (low-rez). I have found that the camera's 120fps rate is good for filming 120Hz video games, even though it is only VGA resolution.
You can get these cameras for under $300 off eBay.

That said, the Go Pro Hero 3 is rather impressive. 720p at 120fps! And 4K filming at less than $500! Your Titans will play 4K video, no problem.
Perhaps that is the camera you should lean towards.

Last edited:
Those two machines above mine are LN2 machines/runs, so I have the fastest 24/7 gaming system on the list. ;)

I submitted to NVIDIA SLI rigs and also on EVGA: http://www.modsrigs.com/systems.aspx

Apparently there are some new camcorders coming out, I will keep my eyes open.

Back