Vega says "Hello World"

I'm just waiting for the vega release so that they drop the 1070 prices to sub $400 levels!

If they are actually using HBM2, supply might become an issue. Not to mention, it would be difficult for them to price such products competitively, considering the rather minimal benefit higher VRAM bandwidth seems to offer. I would've hoped, they learned something from the 'Fury' experience.
If they did learn, we will find out that Vega consumer chips uses only 2 stacks of HBM which cost less in both interposer space, power draw, and of course price. This is the main advantage of HBM2, the more flexible stack configuration.

If they are actually using HBM2, supply might become an issue. Not to mention, it would be difficult for them to price such products competitively, considering the rather minimal benefit higher VRAM bandwidth seems to offer. I would've hoped, they learned something from the 'Fury' experience.
Probably like Fiji they cannot realistically design it without HBM from a TDP-power demand perspective, the HBM helps efficiency.
And yeah again AMD could be squeezed on margins with Nvidia dropping prices and launching the 1080ti just like before.
Benefit this time, should not need watercooling although the max Vega MI25 has a tdp 50W higher than the near comparable P40 (accelerated Int8 instead of FP16 in this case though); the MI25 has the same TDP as the dual S9300 Fiji but with the benefit now of being a single GPU and with FP16, albeit slightly slower at FP32 (13.9 vs 12.5 TFLOPs for the MI25).

Cheers

While nice, even my overclocked 980 Ti runs Doom pretty nicely in 4K. Perhaps not 60 fps but not too far off. I would love to see how it does in something like Rise of the Tomb Raider where current top Nvidia GPUs cannot do 60 fps at 4K. I really hope that this is competitively priced and performs really nicely so it gives Nvidia some proper competition and forces them to drop their prices.

video was 70ish outdoors, depending on pricing and if this was the mi25 and how how the inside of that case was with all the ports taped over might have a little more juice than presented. Maybe in 5 hours it will be demoed with actual non tweaked fiji drivers

On something else than Doom.

I only care that it is faster than my 970, so I can abandon nvidia and their increasingly douchbaggy attitude.

They can shove their telemetry up jen hsung ass.

Can't believe that some folks here would be satisfied with 1080 level performance for AMD's flagship that will be released 8 months (and counting) after the 1080.

Last edited:
I dont think AMD cares to beat the 1080, if they can get close in most games and beat it in others for significantly less money, well thats a winner. However thats two major ifs. I hope they do on both. Competition is better for all of us.

Last edited:
Can't believe that some folks here would be satisfied with 1080 level performance for AMD's flagship that will be released 8 months (and counting) after the 1080.

I have a Fury X painfully trying to drive a 3440x1440x75 display and i'm stuck with freesync, so i guess i'll take anything, ha ha ha.

I think it depends on price. Everyone is expecting this to come in far cheaper than the 1080. If it can trade blows with a 1080, and sell for $100 cheaper, Nvidia will just release the 1080Ti, then drop the 1080's price to match the new Vega.

If this card is near-parity with the 1080, the only way AMD can really win is to sell it for significantly cheaper, below what Nvidia is willing drop the 1080.

I have a Fury X painfully trying to drive a 3440x1440x75 display and i'm stuck with freesync, so i guess i'll take anything, ha ha ha.

I also have a freesync monitor lol. 1080 level performance isn't where I would need it to be for 4k. :(

Thats pathetic and will just continue using my Fury X until they go out of business.

I think it depends on price. Everyone is expecting this to come in far cheaper than the 1080. If it can trade blows with a 1080, and sell for $100 cheaper, Nvidia will just release the 1080Ti, then drop the 1080's price to match the new Vega.

If this card is near-parity with the 1080, the only way AMD can really win is to sell it for significantly cheaper, below what Nvidia is willing drop the 1080.

AMD would be in a better position if the new card offered Pascal Titan level performance and at a cheaper price. Nvidia would have no counter other than release a 1080ti which still wouldn't offer TITAN level performance. But if AMD's cards offers 1080 performance, then Nvidia has plenty of options like you just mentioned. If the card was faster than a 1080, then Nvidia's counter wouldn't be as effective.

Can't knock that performance, really. 4k at 60fps is no small feat.

However, Doom isn't the most taxing game out there and currently available configurations can do this anyway so I'll wait to see what other tidbits come to light before making any comments about AMD's upcoming Vega.

I completely missed any Doom involvement in the Nvidia launch or pre-release teasers.

Even so, at that time Doom didn't have the Vulkan patch, and was a more balanced benchmark.

When run under Vulkan AMD GPU's perform significantly better when compared to Nvidia GPU's than in typical titles on the market, which means it is a misleading title to use to show representative performance.

To add to this, if we could expect all titles (or even a majority of titles) to get Vulkan support and have similar performance gains on AMD hardware as Vulkan does in Doom, then this wouldn't necessarily be a misleading performance preview, but you know the chances of that happening can be compared to a finely squeezed ball of white precipitation surviving in hades...

Its cheaper for them to pay the marginal price increase for HBM rather than try to find the funding (hundreds of millions) theyll need for the R&D to match nvidia in delta color compression. Its not a matter of learning your lesson but making due with what resources you have.

The only reason they are using HBM is to squeeze more performance under their TDP target in the least expensive way for them.

AMD would be in a better position if the new card offered Pascal Titan level performance and at a cheaper price. Nvidia would have no counter other than release a 1080ti which still wouldn't offer TITAN level performance. But if AMD's cards offers 1080 performance, then Nvidia has plenty of options like you just mentioned. If the card was faster than a 1080, then Nvidia's counter wouldn't be as effective.

If AMD could produce something faster than the currently best available card at a lower price, of course they'd be in a better position. It's been a few generations since AMD could compete on the top end though.

I think if the new AMD card beats Titan XP, Nvidia wouldn't bother with a 1080Ti, they'd just drop prices on the Titan XP and maybe make it available for AIB partners until they get Volta done.

If AMD could produce something faster than the currently best available card at a lower price, of course they'd be in a better position. It's been a few generations since AMD could compete on the top end though.

I think if the new AMD card beats Titan XP, Nvidia wouldn't bother with a 1080Ti, they'd just drop prices on the Titan XP and maybe make it available for AIB partners until they get Volta done.

Yeah, sometimes I think people on here are a bit unrealistic.

I want a $1,200 halo card, but for $400. Lol.

Not going to happen.

AMD have often been trying budget brand lately, but it hasn't been by choice. You et if they wind up on top, they are going to start charging prices like they are on top.

God knows they need some revenue.

Not going to happen.

AMD have often been trying budget brand lately, but it hasn't been by choice. You et if they wind up on top, they are going to start charging prices like they are on top.

That is what people tend to forget, price is just a resultant of product competitiveness. No one will give us something for less, unless that something is truly less. Cards like the 4xxx or 5xxx or 6xxx line the reason why AMD priced them lower was because the performance was lower but they could also get away with it because their die size was lower (1/2 the size if I remember correctly, comparative to nV GPU's). End results, AMD was able to maintain the same margins as they were getting before (not as high margins as nV) and price their cards lower.

Not going to happen.

Agreed. I could see them undercutting Nvidia by a bit to drive sales, but they're not going to sell their top of the line card for anything other than top of the line prices.

AMD can't undercut too much, especially if they are stacking 8gb of HBM2 on this.

I'd get one depending on the advantages this has for GPGPU stuff, I may just grab a cheap Fury X

First highlight for me: Lisa Su in skinny jeans (for some reason, I expected her to be in a labcoat, or more formal wear -- just that her face has that "matronly" aspect to it).

Confirmed, the name is "Ryzen", and the logo looks like the original Contra game logo, actually.

The thing with AMD is that they go overboard with new buzzwords and brands and today is no different.

they are using a titan x with BF1 hmm......lol guess they don't want to give Vega away.

they are using a titan x with BF1 hmm......lol guess they don't want to give Vega away.
Very odd now that they are showing Vega now and would use NVIDIA for all other demos.....drivers?

yeah probably drivers

4k in that game is kinda hard on anything less then Titan X right? don't remember not my type of game lol.

yeah probably drivers

4k in that game is kinda hard on anything less then Titan X right? don't remember not my type of game lol.

It was GPU limited big time.
3840_11.png

Back