Vega Rumors

So Goldman took a 600m stake because they thought the company was going under?

AMD has already been on the edge of profitability while ramping production of Zen. Any investor just now looking at AMD is behind the curve. Just look at all the cash Abu Dhabi made on their deal. I got in at $2 and I'm happy with that investment.
You are a great investor bud. Can I come and work with you?

You are a great investor bud. Can I come and work with you?

Yeah he forgot to tell ya Goldman Sachs also stated this in May 2017 shortly after buying the shares lol

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/02/gold...-plunge-sees-more-downside-for-chipmaker.html

Goldman Sachs believes AMD is still "priced for perfection" and recommends investors avoid the stock.

This is why its never wise to purchase stock based on analysts, they have their agendas at play which don't align with us "regular" people.

This one from June

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3272902-goldman-sachs-reiterates-amd-sell-rating-shares-3_4-percent

Why are they saying selling when they bought 600 million in stock just a quarter prior?

Gotta be something they want to do if the price drops ;) Things we are not privy to.

Yeah he forgot to tell ya Goldman Sachs also stated this in May 2017 shortly after buying the shares lol

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/02/gold...-plunge-sees-more-downside-for-chipmaker.html

This is why its never wise to purchase stock based on analysts, they have their agendas at play which don't align with us "regular" people.

This one from June

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3272902-goldman-sachs-reiterates-amd-sell-rating-shares-3_4-percent

Why are they saying selling when they bought 600 million in stock just a quarter prior?

Gotta be something they want to do if the price drops ;) Things we are not privy to.
He stated he bought at 2.

He stated he bought at 2.

Yeah, I bought at ~3, at that point it was easy to see AMD's stock price was under valued, he read it right.

Also bought nV at ~9 2 year ago and 14 last year, guess what its up too, but its just that We did our research and didn't bet on what analysts stated.

Perfect example, last year Kramer stated Micron was a single digit midget and stay away from it, 2 or 3 quarters after he stated it it was well above 30 close to 40.

Why did he think that, cause he didn't understand the link between Micron nV and AMD. Simple he doesn't know the market, if he predicted nV and AMD to go up, which he did not, he wouldn't be able to predict Micron.

Have you ever thought of things like this, 4g LTE is pretty big right now? Who and when are they going to upgrade to 5g networks, or what ever the next network for Cell phones will be called?

Then find out who will be making the infrastructure pieces for that network. Those companies if public (which they should be) will see a fast uptick in increased revenue about 6 months before announcement of the next network from AT&T or Verizon.

Also if you see a downward trend in stocks (specially bank stocks), get commodities or mutual funds, they will always go up or be more stable when stock prices drop.

Last edited:
That timing likely had more to do with Abu Dhabi locking in gains and raising cash. Otherwise Goldman would have had a rough time finding that volume of shares. They simply jumped on an opportunity.

Have you ever thought of things like this, 4g LTE is pretty big right now? Who and when are they going to upgrade to 5g networks, or what ever the next network for Cell phones will be called?
Bad bet as the recent push is using broadband over wireless. See Google's ProjectFi or Comcast Mobile where cable, dsl, fiber are the preferred connection and the modems replace towers.

That timing likely had more to do with Abu Dhabi locking in gains and raising cash. Otherwise Goldman would have had a rough time finding that volume of shares. They simply jumped on an opportunity.

Bad bet as the recent push is using broadband over wireless. See Google's ProjectFi or Comcast Mobile where cable, dsl, fiber are the preferred connection and the modems replace towers.

Not sure what is going on with Goldman Sachs, what I see with the contract is they made sure the primary selling party was stuck with the stock at certain price for at certain amount of time, while that time finished, all of a sudden they advice people to sell AMD, What I think it is they are expecting a massive short or trying to get on the short..... Playing both sides of the coin. Again we are just guessing, thats why looking at what GS is doing doesn't do anything for us.

You need to look into it more also, I said its something to look into, and doesn't matter what the outcome is, cause AT&T and Verizon will be going to 5g in the next few years, Verizon is already testing the waters. So the companies that are supporting that will still do well regardless of what happens in the long run.

Right now Comcast mobile hasn't had much uptake and probably won't for a few more years. Also did you know Xfinity uses Verizon's network for mobile?

How about google fi, they use carriers too, think it was sprint, t mobile but you are limited to a google nexus phone. So that won't be good.

So really doesn't matter which way the market goes at the end, cause the main carriers will still be involved even with broad band plans.

Last edited:
Goldman Sachs was aware of the investment banking relationship ahead of the offer and may well have initiated a short position early on before the agreement was signed. There is nothing against their trading against a prospective client to hedge their position whether they got the contract or not. Positions can be mitigated with options such as selling naked calls against a cash position or buying puts ahead of the deal. We don't know about large short positions because while long positions at institutions and over 5% owners must be stated at quarterly filings, short positions are not required to be published. Therein is the rub. The "dark shadows" that Blackrock CEO Larry Fink (what a name) talked about in the marketplace is just that type of trading that is not required to file positions and does indeed bear much more clarification and scrutiny. Frankly, it's not an open market, it's a con game and it's BIG money.

Member when this thread was about video cards? I member.

berries.JPG

I heared that RX Vega will be a MCM of two Vega 10 dies connected via infinity fabric and beat a TitanXp without driver optimization*.

*this is completely made up and I don't know shit.

Vega will slot in between 1070 and 1080 with the "gaming" models.

Wait, that isn't a rumor....
The jokes on you as the report of benchmarks on a RX Vega engineering sample last week was already 10% faster than a 1080. With further driver optimization we can expect it at launch to be wihtin 10% of a 1080 Ti. Since over the past 4 years AMD has a track record of improving driver performance even after launch, I can safely say that RX Vega will match a 1080 Ti within 60 days after launch.

The jokes on you as the report of benchmarks on a RX Vega engineering sample last week was already 10% faster than a 1080. With further driver optimization we can expect it at launch to be wihtin 10% of a 1080 Ti. Since over the past 4 years AMD has a track record of improving driver performance even after launch, I can safely say that RX Vega will match a 1080 Ti within 60 days after launch.
LOL. Please tell me you're kidding. AMDrone fud.

Source?

Vega looks great if you add 10% to its performance... and another 10%... and then one final 10%. Boom, it matches the 1080 Ti. Checkmate.

AMD fanboy logic: "Rumors say it's within 10% performance of the best Nvidia GPU, so it'll be at least on par when it releases, then in the next year it'll add another 10-20% because of drivers, by 2020 it will be 500% faster than anything else!"

You can expect an extra 10% performance within 3-6 months from launch, AMD has earned the benefit of the doubt.
The amount of can-kicking is disheartening, though. It's the same with Ryzen, too. The extra performance doesn't help at all if by the time it's fully realized, you're about to upgrade anyway.

3dmark11?

Lets see something

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1060-review,27.html

hmm rx480 is ahead of the gtx 1060, in real world games, that extra performance doesn't really show up does it?

3dmark11 really scales well with more GPU cores/ frequency of those cores. So I wouldn't hold my breath on it on all applications. Mainly because prior to the 3dmark11 scores what we saw were Firestrike scores for Vega FE.

Wasn't it you in another thread also said RX Vega will be cheaper and faster than 1080TI? So now RXVega is withing 1080TI, talking about moving the bar down for yourself.

3dmark11?

Lets see something

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1060-review,27.html

hmm rx480 is ahead of the gtx 1060, in real world games, that extra performance doesn't really show up does it?

3dmark11 really scales well with more GPU cores/ frequency of those cores. So I wouldn't hold my breath on it on all applications. Mainly because prior to the 3dmark11 scores what we saw were Firestrike scores for Vega FE.

Yup, I mean just look at this score for a 980TI, http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10105198, with that score, who the heck would want a GTX 1080, 1080TI, Titan XP, or even RX Vega.

Vega looks great if you add 10% to its performance... and another 10%... and then one final 10%. Boom, it matches the 1080 Ti. Checkmate.
Unfortunately by the time AMD optimizes Vega's drivers, Volta will be launching.

Then the end user overclocks the 1080ti. ;)

I always liked [H]'s OC vs OC reviews.

Volta is going to be nuts. Last time we heard a 35pct power/performance claim we got maxwell. They're saying a double gain for Volta (100pct). I can't wait.

Volta is going to be nuts. Last time we heard a 35pct power/performance claim we got maxwell. They're saying a double gain for Volta (100pct). I can't wait.

I'm sure Volta will destroy both Pascal and Vega, but I doubt it'll be double perf/w, especially after factoring in ram, circuitry, etc. I'd bet it's right along the lines of real-world 50-60% perf/w increase.

10% ahead in DOOM is unimpressive. Vega is already a failure.

I'm sure Volta will destroy both Pascal and Vega, but I doubt it'll be double perf/w, especially after factoring in ram, circuitry, etc. I'd bet it's right along the lines of real-world 50-60% perf/w increase.
Oh, I'm sure. Yet it is a very good sign :).

The GV100 showoff was months ago now. Same happened with Pascal and the gaming part showed up within months. I doubt GV104 is far off.

That'll be hard to pass on if Titan Volta is twice the speed of my 1080.... mainly for my Vive.

Holy crap just googled it. 815mm^2 core for GV100, sign me up!!!! It's my dream come true!

I'd imagine nVidia is mainly competing against Intel and itself now? I can't imagine AMD being a huge part of the picture anymore.

GV100 has tensor cores most likely those won't show up in the desktop verities.

PS nV is only competing against itself. At least in all markets outside of HPC, DL they have a commanding lead, HPC market, Intel's next generation, Knights Hill should fare ok but still be a step behind Volta, in DL market's Knights Mill will come out later.

The GV100 showoff was months ago now. Same happened with Pascal and the gaming part showed up within months. I doubt GV104 is far off.

Usually a G_102 Titan shows up first, followed many months later by a G_104, so it seems like a GV104 is a long way off yet.

Usually a G_102 Titan shows up first, followed many months later by a G_104, so it seems like a GV104 is a long way off yet.

GP102 came after GP104. GM200 came after GM204. GK110 came after GK104. GP100 was announced before GP104 came out, but GP100 never saw a consumer release.

GV104 aka GTX 2080 will be here before GV102.

Okay Miss Cleo.

Anyone remember Miss Cleo?

Anyway.... Okay Miss Cleo with a little extra side of made up BS.

Okay Miss Cleo.

Anyone remember Miss Cleo?

Anyway.... Okay Miss Cleo with a little extra side of made up BS.

I ain'yt no fake, phonie, or a fraud as my wife calls Miss Cleo. She had a fake West Indian accent. I push science not mysticcism. I may be wrong on this, But I believe I will be closer to the truth than you think and most of the idiots who believe you can compare FE performance to either Nvidia 1080, 1080 Ti or RX Vega. They are different animals. One is a development paltform the other a gaming platform. FE was never designed to play games for fun. The gaming mode with its older drivers is for backward compatibility for game developers. It is astounding how few people care to understand this and still try to say it proves RX Vega is a dud. I will not be the person who has to eat shit here.

Back