Vega release: Estimated price drops on low/mid range gpus ?

Immolation1991

Weaksauce
I am on the verge of buying a new card in low/mid range section, but I don't know if it is the right timing now because of vega is going to be released in a couple of months.

I know it is just speculating, but how much do you expect prices of RX470/480 or 1060 to drop once AMD releases their vega gpus??

its more like some months. If you think price impact it will be from the 1080TI that's rumoured to be next month.

The price of 470/480/1060 isn't going to change much. Sure it drop a bit but nothing crazy.

All these cards are already great value for the price. I doubt they change much. Vega will just fill the bracke towards higher end amd cards. Although you will probably see the prices of 1080/1070 drop most likely since amd will probably price it below nvidia to move units.

Ye its not worth waiting several months to save 20-25$ at best.

1070/1080 will drop due to 1080ti.

The 1070 and 1080 are small-chip parts, so there's plenty of pricing flexibility should AMD bring competition to that performance bracket. Of course, that depends on AMD releasing their products in quantity, whenever that happens (I'm not being pessimistic, they'll get here, but they're not exactly right around the corner).

The 1080 Ti might provide some downward pressure, but that'd be all up to Nvidia if they release it before Vega. There's certainly room in their lineup between the <US$700 1080 and the ~US$1200 Titan X (P).

You may not see prices drop a whole lot right away for NIB cards, but you may see some pretty good deals from folks selling theirs on here.

I went for a 470 4GB now, had a 770GTX 2GB before, although it still delivered sufficient performance for my needs (1080p, barely play new AAA titles) there was absolutely no reason to keep it due to the higher power consumption which easily costs me 60-70 bucks more a year (yes I game a lot) than one these lower end modern generation gpus would, at least here in Europe where I live. So If I will keep this card 18 month and sell my 770 now, I will have my money back out while even getting a little more perfomance. Guess in my case I could also waited a few month longer but the 770 gtx already lost 50% of its value within one year, I should have sold it way earlier.

I went for a 470 4GB now, had a 770GTX 2GB before, although it still delivered sufficient performance for my needs (1080p, barely play new AAA titles) there was absolutely no reason to keep it due to the higher power consumption which easily costs me 60-70 bucks more a year (yes I game a lot) than one these lower end modern generation gpus would, at least here in Europe where I live. So If I will keep this card 18 month and sell my 770 now, I will have my money back out while even getting a little more perfomance. Guess in my case I could also waited a few month longer but the 770 gtx already lost 50% of its value within one year, I should have sold it way earlier.

Upgrade if you need the performance, not to save money on power. I have no idea where you pulled that dollar figure from but you aren't saving as much as you think. The difference between those two cards based on the charts at guru3d, at load is 66 watts. If you're paying .12/kwh (the average rate in the US) for power and gamed for 12 hours a day every day for the whole year (unlikely) your power savings is $34.71 per year

Upgrade if you need the performance, not to save money on power. I have no idea where you pulled that dollar figure from but you aren't saving as much as you think. The difference between those two cards based on the charts at guru3d, at load is 66 watts. If you're paying .12/kwh (the average rate in the US) for power and gamed for 12 hours a day every day for the whole year (unlikely) your power savings is $34.71 per year

He did note that he's in Europe, where electricity tends to be considerably more expensive ;)

there was absolutely no reason to keep it due to the higher power consumption which easily costs me 60-70 bucks more a year (yes I game a lot) than one these lower end modern generation gpus would, at least here in Europe where I live.

He did note that he's in Europe, where electricity tends to be considerably more expensive ;)

Europe varies a lot. Even at .21 which is the average for Europe based on a google search, you'd have to game for 12 hours a day every day with the GPU at full load the whole time and then you're approaching the $60-70 annual savings. If he lives in Bulgaria which is the highest at .31 you'd have to game between 8-10 hours every day, which again, doesn't seem likely.

Europe varies a lot. Even at .21 which is the average for Europe based on a google search, you'd have to game for 12 hours a day every day with the GPU at full load the whole time and then you're approaching the $60-70 annual savings. If he lives in Bulgaria which is the highest at .31 you'd have to game between 8-10 hours every day, which again, doesn't seem likely.

I think you mean roughly 0.31 USD (converted from Euro) for Denmark as the highest -- Bulgaria was one of the lowest, at least from this link:http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Electricity_price_statistics (current as of Nov. 2016)
His rig might be an old, hot one as well, not to mention whatever he has plugged into it.

From personal experience, most Europeans seem to be a bit more thrifty than folks in the US -- so maybe that $35 or so gets put into a CD account, or something else (like a small discount meal for two).

Over here in NYC, the avg. rate is 0.1762 USD per kWh, which is generally considered high by US standards.

I think you mean roughly 0.31 USD (converted from Euro) for Denmark as the highest -- Bulgaria was one of the lowest, at least from this link:http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Electricity_price_statistics (current as of Nov. 2016)
His rig might be an old, hot one as well, not to mention whatever he has plugged into it.

From personal experience, most Europeans seem to be a bit more thrifty than folks in the US -- so maybe that $35 or so gets put into a CD account, or something else (like a small discount meal for two).

Over here in NYC, the avg. rate is 0.1762 USD per kWh, which is generally considered high by US standards.

He mentioned upgrading the video card not the system so if the card is the only thing that changed. 66watts would be the difference.

If he was running an i7 920 or FX8350 and upgraded to sky lake or kaby lake along with the GPU then you're looking at 200+ watts of reduction which would be quite a bit different then a gpu alone.

yeah, its like 0.31$ here, but you are right, I thought the difference would be more like 90-100W according to the offical listings TDP. At least last year I gamed maybe 5-6 hours a day average with ~75 gpu load. Guess it will still save me a couple of bucks, but not enough to even it out even if I sell the free hitman key. It still didn't seem like a horrible deal to me.

I wasn't planning a huge upgrade since I am still running old sytem with i5 2500k, I just wanted a little bit more vram and better effiency. Sure the 1060 would have been better but it is 100 bucks more, in the last couple of months deals and game bundles for it were pretty uninteresting here. I also tought about getting a used 970 which is at the exact same price as RX 470 and about 5 fps faster in many games, but it has no warranty, no free game and more power consuption in load.

you can get a rx 480 8gb for 200+ tax after rebate. Absolute bang for buck as well. I got one for one of my systems for 198 out the door but that was with 35 dollars I had in discover cashback, but to me that was a steal. Powercolor devil series I saw on newegg yesterday was 220 - 20 in rebate for 200. Can't beat that.

Reactions: noko
like this
How is that? The RX 470 has been at $130 and below (after rebate) so for the RX 480 8GB to be the absolute bang for the buck it would have to average over 50% better performance

At no point I was comparing it to rx470. Yea its great bang for buck, but there are some people that want that 8gb of memory, for them at 200 rx 480 is unbeatable. I got mine for 198 out the door with taxes for 8gb. It runs fine at 1350mhz sustained and does great job in most games at 1440p, ofcourse not the best of settings in every game. But I am waiting for vega as well to see where its priced and how it performs. I might switch then since my monitor is freesync, but this will serve me fine in another computer as well even if I upgrade. They are both great cards but for people that want more ram its as good as it gets.

Absolute bang for the buck means you are comparing it to all the videocards

did you read any of my reasoning? Yes at 130 rx 470 is best for money but its not for me. And I haven't ?seen any at that price so far.

Last edited:
I thought absolute best bang for your bucks is getting what you need at the price you are willing to pay?

in the sense of a videocard, bang usually means fps.

So, most fps per dollar. If I wanted a GTX 1080 and was willing to pay $600 for it, I would tell people I wanted to buy a GTX 1080. I wouldn't tell people the GTX 1080 is the absolute bang for the buck videocard

I see cases where the RX480 8gb for under $200 could be the best bang/$, for example Fallout 4 with high res texture pack - the 4gb will probably choke the Rx470 while the Rx480 frame rate would be unchanged due to the 8gb. Not everything is so black and white. If one see's virtually no difference especially at 1080p resolutions then using regular textures with the Rx470 would still be the best bang/$. So each just needs to make the best choice they can make.

I really want to pick up a 1070 but the price is just still too high. Do we expect Vega will push down Nvidia prices?

I really want to pick up a 1070 but the price is just still too high. Do we expect Vega will push down Nvidia prices?

If you're willing to go used, there are GTX 1070s every so often for around $300 or so (mostly Founder's Editions). There's a chance of the price going down if one variant of Vega is really going down to the 4GB range. (possible 16GB range as well).

I really dont think these cards are "Great value" for their price. Nvidia has dominated the market and has been allowed to set their own pricing. We direly need a competitor that can hold a handle to their tech.

I really dont think these cards are "Great value" for their price. Nvidia has dominated the market and has been allowed to set their own pricing. We direly need a competitor that can hold a handle to their tech.

Generally the 470 gives you 1080p/60-120hz for $140ish. The 480/1060 gives you 1440p/60hz for $200ish. The 1070 gives you 1440p/60-120hz for $400ish, and so on. The $300 price point is missing cards (I feel that the 1070 should be $350) but the current cards are damn good values. For comparison's sake I spent $500ish on a 4GB GTX670 5 years ago for 1080p/60.

Nvidia is not without competition. AMD still competes effectively with Nvidia in the mid-range, and the low-end. It is only at the high-end that Nvidia is unquestionably dominant. But Nvidia is not stupid, either. Their pricing for the 10xx lineup has been pretty fair, overall. I'm very pleased with my 1080 Ti. Titan X Pascal performance at around half the price.

I'm not so confident that Vega will unseat Nvidia, or I would have waited on my GPU buy. But still, I hope I'm wrong and Vega matches the hype.

Back