Vega 64 choppy after monitor sleep?

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
For whatever reason, when I leave my computer for an extended period of time (I disabled computer sleep, so its only monitor sleep), playing games (like Overwatch) will result in severe frame choppiness (even though its running at 100 fps/Freesync). I can fix this by unplugging the DP cable from the Vega and plugging it back in.

I see this with the 17.11.x and 17.12.x drivers.

Anyone else see this or have a workaround?

System:
Asus MG278Q
Windows 10 x64 whatever latest is
Core i7 7700K @ 4.2 GHz (disable C-States/Turbo)
2x 8GB DDR4-2400
XFX Vega 64 Silver @ 1602 (actually a slight downclock and undervolt to 1.075V)
Corsair CX750M PSU

Last edited:
try running your card at stock to see how it acts. what happens if you just turn your monitor off with its power button? and have you checked in something like afterburner to see whats happening, maybe the gpu is stuck at a lower speed or bouncing or something.

I've tried it purely stock (IIRC 1632 core with no undervolt), and it behaves the same. Yesterday night, I disabled monitor sleep and just turned the monitor off via power button, and same deal.

Wattman says its running at the speeds. The FPS counter in games is consistent. E.g. in Overwatch, I'm hitting over 100 fps according to the counters. Except to me, it feels like its 20-30 fps.

Edit: Added monitor info (MG278Q)

well that covers most things I can think of. DP seems to have issues for some people, I know there's a hate thread here somewhere...
BIOSs all up to date?

Just as a suggestion, have you tried a different display port on your Vega card.

My ASUS PG348Q has an option to disable DP and HDMI deep sleep specifically to fix issues like this. However, I pulled up the manual for your MG278Q and I sadly don't see that option under System Setup in the OSD. There IS an option to change the DP version from 1.1 to 1.2. Maybe its set incorrectly?

I would also disable the ECO Mode while you're in there.

Here are some settings:

GamePlus = Off
DisplayPort Stream = DP 1.2
ECO Mode = Off
OSD Timeout = 30
DDC/CI = On

I left for work today and came back (turn monitor off). Turned it back on, and looks like no problems playing games. Maybe just monitor sleep is somehow affecting the GPU? Who knows. Still kind of lame, IMO.

I've got an Asus MG279 using a DP hooked up to my R9 390. I've recently run into a similar issue. When I wake the computer, the screen appears, the mouse is HORRIBLY laggy, the screen goes black, comes back, mouse is laggy...and then all is normal.

The laggy/black/laggy cycle lasts approximately 5-10 seconds.

FWIW.

I still don't know what's causing it. This is new behavior from a couple months.

Are you using Relive?

LOL, not that I know of! ;)

Running the 17.11.1 drivers. I have Relive installed as part of the driver package, but I've never run it...nor do I foresee ever wanting to run it.

I'll try the 18.1.1 later today, after I've written down all my game profiles. (Since AMD won't let me export profiles. Sigh.)

I suggest, uninstalling then using DDU in safe mode. Then install 18.1.1. Don't install RELIVE, when it gives you that option.

Thanks. I did that. I unplugged my Ethernet line, told W10 to "bugger off, fella" when it wanted to load drivers, uninstalled the drivers, DDU'd them (twice, because my friggin' mouse doesn't work in Safe Mode. How the hell do you fix that?!?!?), then installed the new drivers (previously downloaded).

All is better.

Thanks.

Thanks. I did that. I unplugged my Ethernet line, told W10 to "bugger off, fella" when it wanted to load drivers, uninstalled the drivers, DDU'd them (twice, because my friggin' mouse doesn't work in Safe Mode. How the hell do you fix that?!?!?), then installed the new drivers (previously downloaded).

All is better.

Thanks.
switch to a USB 2.0 port.

switch to a USB 2.0 port.

Yeah. Been there, done that. (I wouldn't "waste" a USB3 port on a mouse.)

Oh, as a bonus, a helpful poster on the AMD forums pointed me to the location where Radeon gaming profiles are stored. Even with a complete wipe of my drivers, I just copied my profiles and saved them, then restored them after the install.

That was a huge time saver.

They are: c:\Users\ <username> \Local\AppData\AMD\CN\" file gmdb.blb.

I do not have the gaming issue but, I also do not allow my monitor to turn off at home, which is where I primarily game. However, at work, if I let my monitors go to sleep, it takes a long time for them to come out of sleep and the program windows are all moved around. The same thing happens if I try to remote into that computer with the monitors being asleep, it takes a while for the remote session to login. However, the computer itself does not sleep at all and it is an XFX R9 380 4GB card.

When I finally replaced my 2008 era Dell 3008WFP with my ASUS PG348Q, I was blown away that modern LCDs don't take 10 seconds to turn on. It's instant now when I touch the mouse. At least, once you disable DisplayPort Deep Sleep in the menus.

When I finally replaced my 2008 era Dell 3008WFP with my ASUS PG348Q, I was blown away that modern LCDs don't take 10 seconds to turn on. It's instant now when I touch the mouse. At least, once you disable DisplayPort Deep Sleep in the menus.

That Dell was still a damn good monitor though lol had one of those myself for quite sometime!

All is better.

Thanks.

Sigh. I spoke too soon. The same laggy mouse/black screen behavior is back. I don't suppose it ever really went away. At least, I can console myself with the knowledge it is not being caused by out of date graphics drivers.

Sigh. I spoke too soon. The same laggy mouse/black screen behavior is back. I don't suppose it ever really went away. At least, I can console myself with the knowledge it is not being caused by out of date graphics drivers.

I had to move the computer which was exhibiting this issue. I unplugged everything and took it to a new location. Replugged it all in (UPS, Rig, monitor, speakers). No more screen blackouts.

I had a power squid coming out of the UPS...and into the monitor. It was a surge protector. That's a big no-no. The UPS https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 has plenty of outlets, so I have no idea why that power squid was back there.

Since I moved it, there've been no monitor flashes or mouse lag. (Again, both issues ONLY occurred when coming out of sleep mode and then went away.)

Odd, but now all is good.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I just spent about a half hour dealing with another sleep problem.

At work, I have a Radeon Pro system. I have a Windows 10 Enterprise workstation newly setup and it went to sleep after being idle. I literally could not get the display working. I used hard shutdown on system multiple times. Cleared CMOS, nothing. Tried new DP cables, nothing. Turned monitor on/off, nothing. It seemed as if the system would not display video. If it weren't for the fact that I had a POST LED on the motherboard, I would've thought the system died or something. Weirdest solution... I had to physically unplug power to my Dell monitor and then it was fine. Now all is fine, and I promptly disabled sleep.

System:
MSI X299 Arctic, i9-7900X
Radeon Pro WX7100
Dell P2715Q Monitor

Correct. It could be a combination of monitor/video card/driver fault.

Nevertheless it was quite frustrating to work out.

Interesting. I've had a similar sleep issue, in my case the screen was stuck at 30hz after input switching / sleep, and all I could do was unplug the cable and plug it back in for it to be able to set the refresh rate properly. Going and trying to force it back to 60hz didn't work. I assumed it was some kind of HDMI handshake issue, but I eventually replaced the video card, an RX 580, with a GTX 1060 and the issue went away. I assumed it was some kind of driver thing.

I also have a UPS that everything is connected to, but all the stuff at my desk is going directly into it, no squids or extensions coming out of it. Weird.

Back