Vega 64 Black Screen like its turned off? Just started and wondering why

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Its happening when pc is almost idle or doing light browsing...and have to reset or power cycle to get it back....WTF is going on? Its never happened while in game so far, so its makes me wonder what the issue is...Dont ell me i have to RMA this thing already...Havent tried DDU or anything like that .....I might load up clock blocker and see if that helps

Did you recently install a driver update? I had this happen after 19.2.2 I think on a Vega 56. Occasionally after restart I’d get a notification about wattman being reset to defaults, which was odd because I hadn’t done anything over/underclocking to it.

DDU and reinstall cleared it up for me and then it happened again when I updated to 19.2.3.

Haven’t had these issues in Ubuntu, so I know the card is fine. Not sure what the deal is.

I am getting this as well periodically as well on older Radeon Pro gaming drivers 18.9.3 and in games, Radeon FE. Turning off the monitor and back on usually solves this. I have two monitors as a note and it only happens on the 144hz one.

I am believing it maybe more a New Windows Update thing than hardware. Which also brutally killed CFX gaming performance.

Did you recently install a driver update? I had this happen after 19.2.2 I think on a Vega 56. Occasionally after restart I’d get a notification about wattman being reset to defaults, which was odd because I hadn’t done anything over/underclocking to it.

DDU and reinstall cleared it up for me and then it happened again when I updated to 19.2.3.

Haven’t had these issues in Ubuntu, so I know the card is fine. Not sure what the deal is.
yea i install over the top as usual since non of my older amd cards minded that simple method.....but ok ill uninstall and do a full ddu and see if the problem goes away. btw clock blocker didnt help and i can say for sure it only happens when the machine is waiting or browsing or even with my clock screen saver running.

I had a problem like that years ago with an Nvidia card (I think GTX 470). I can't recall why I didn't RMA the card, I probably should have, but I ended up just overclocking the idle clocks a bit and that solved the problem.

Did DDU several times, switched to 2nd card, same. Plus I am in an unsupported/unsanction configuration. It would be just so much more simpler just to allow pure gaming drivers for the Vega FE vice the rather cumbersome, not up to date method AMD uses.

Anyways never had this issue, with the same drivers prior to a more recent Windows update.

Not really a solution, but one thing that has helped me in this situation is just unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable. Avoids a hard reset.

well i have a perfect image to restore from back a few weeks ago and will go the route......and ill avoid updating the driver without doing a full normal uninstall first. ( i dont like the idea of cleaning amd drivers with ddu on a amd chipset rig)

Serious question, what's wrong with DDU?

I done it dozens of times and never had any issue, actually it usually fixed whatever problem I was having (both AMD and Nvidia).

Serious question, what's wrong with DDU?

I done it dozens of times and never had any issue, actually it usually fixed whatever problem I was having (both AMD and Nvidia).

He’s probably worried it’s going to eat his AMD chipset drivers and break everything. If that was going to be an issue, people would have figured it out by now...

He’s probably worried it’s going to eat his AMD chipset drivers and break everything. If that was going to be an issue, people would have figured it out by now...
Well I did try it and after I tried installing the newest driver again it failed to install? So fuck it....image restore to the rescue!!!!! I may try it again after I get the new game install and imaged again

In my case the black screens went away, Removed the Cable Matters cable with gold ends that worked for about 2 years without issue at 4K and then with the Samsung 144hz monitor and put in a cheap, thin, non gold plated plugs, made in China, 8 ft vice 6 ft and it works perfect??? No more black screens. I still bought two certified DP 1.4 6 ft cables, one Club and another Cable Matters. I was going to throw this cheap ass cable away but it appears to be better than expected.

So the Cable Matters cable I can only conclude degraded over time, case is the inverted motherboard type design with the backend plate on top, this gives a tight bend radius to the DP cables. Plus hot air from the Vega FE's blow over the cables. Never seen this before with a display cable. I've Seen degradation with high amp cables on huge mesh welding machines where the big copper wiring would refuse to pass any current - kinda weird in that case. I will just have brand new cables always ready now.

Last edited:
Back