Vega 56 to Shimian Monitor Driver issue

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by shoenberg3, Aug 19, 2018.

1. shoenberg3

shoenberg3 n00bie

Since my monitor (Shimian 27" inch IPS monitor) does not have a DP port, I had to purchase a rather expensive adapter to connect it with the Vega 56.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A493CNY/ref=ask_ql...)

It actually works okay when I don't have any Radoen drivers installed. However, when I install latest Radeon drivers (also tried blockchain drivers), static artifact takes over the entire screen (I can still somewhat see the what's underneath). Like this: https://******/eGYMLz

Only resolution is to uninstall the drivers, but then I can't play any games and have also stability issues.

I tried to setting the refresh rate on Radeon settings, with no avail. My guess is that the adapter isn't able to "handle" the latest features on Radeon drivers?

Help please.

2. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

These adapters are very hit miss. Try another one or just switch to the green team. The current 10xx cards all have propper support for your monitor. I have the same monitor and plan to snag a cheap 1080/ti when ppl start dumping them

3. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

Had nothing but problems with the adapters combined with Radeon + DVI. Fought with it literally for years with 6870s, finally got fixed with Windows 8.1, worked fine in Win10 up till the 18.X Catalyst drivers, when it broke again.

Spent a LOT of time digging into it - short version of the story is that some DVI monitors REALLY don't like how AMD cards generate clock signals for DVI/DP adapters. Nvidia uses a different method which doesn't seem to have the same problem. Works fine with a native DP monitor though... so I just went ahead and upgraded monitors and pulled my third screen (DVI only). Problem solved.

Sadly, it may be time to get a new screen. :(

4. shoenberg3

shoenberg3 n00bie

THanks for the response. It is disheartening to hear that I might need to buy a new monitor altogether. Are there any other suggestions?

5. lopoetve

lopoetve Imhotep

Oh, and I tested agains the afore-mentioned 6870, rx480, and rx580

6. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

Should've bought a monitor with proper inputs to begin with. Adapters are not only hit/miss but also add latency. Whats the point of a high refresh rate gaming monitor if you're not even going to to have the proper signaling going to it? I know it's tempting when you see a high refresh rate monitor at dirt cheap prices, but there's almost always corners cut to get the costs down that low. I've bought my fair share of cheap crap and high end stuff. I don't recall a single time where the savings made it a worth while trade off.

7. shoenberg3

shoenberg3 n00bie

I still haven't gotten this to work. Any one else have ideas?