Vega 56 priced higher than 1080

lazz

Limp Gawd
Checking my local PC parts store (www.memoryexpress.com), I found this:

OvSDOaL.png

hI1fV

I mean.. what even?

Quite the same in plenty of places. The MSRP for Vega cards was pretty much bogus. Without direct discount from AMD, the cards cant even be made cheap enough it seems. Also AIBs seems to drop all plans of custom cards.
https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-says-no-to-custom-radeon-rx-vega-64

Even at a premium AMD retailer like Mindfactory 1080 can be found cheaper than Vega 56.

Vega is just a plain disaster on all fronts. Price, performance, power consumption.

Last edited:
Quite the same in plenty of places. The MSRP for Vega cards was pretty much bogus. Also AIBs seems to drop all plans of custom cards.
https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-says-no-to-custom-radeon-rx-vega-64

Even at a premium AMD retailer like Mindfactory 1080 can be found cheaper than Vega 56.

Vega is just a plain disaster on all fronts. Price, performance, power consumption.
While its performance certainly leaves a lot to be desired, if you compare Freesync Display + Vega to G-sync Display + Geforce the story isn't quite as bleak for AMD.

While its performance certainly leaves a lot to be desired, if you compare Freesync Display + Vega to G-sync Display + Geforce the story isn't quite as bleak for AMD.

Really? You can find the first 100€ just in price difference between Vega 64 and 1080 for example. Then you can find the rest plus more in quality difference on the screens and TCO.

Same applies for Vega 56 vs the upcoming 1070Ti.

Really? You can find the first 100€ just in price difference between Vega 64 and 1080 for example. Then you can find the rest plus more in quality difference on the screens and TCO.

I negated to reflect the current 'silly' vega prices, at MSRP it would be different (but that isn't reality) :)

What is Tco?

I negated to reflect the current 'silly' vega prices, at MSRP it would be different (but that isn't reality) :)

The MSRP as such could just as well have been set at a single dollar. Its a price that cant be reached without AMD putting money into it. I doubt the cards can even be made without any profit in the chain at MSRP.

Have to agree with shintai here.

MSRP on the vega cards isn't something you'll ever get to actually pay.

Unless you bought in at launch.

buying local is always a little more and that's in Canadian too. our dollar is doing better but still not that good. i usually buy there for the convenience and they will price match too.

It's now being reported that 2 different manfactures will not make custom Vega boards because of supply issues with AMD. Gigabyte is one

Taiwan here, and same thing too.

Galax EXOC-SNPR GTX 1080 is a good $50 cheaper than a Vega 56, and even the worst clocked 1080 should trash a 1070 (even if it loses to Vega 64 completely due to its shoddy clocks), so the power consumption is a decisive factor here, if price isn't already.

Not in mining.... thats the only reason anybody would buy an AMD gpu anyway. For gaming its really not competitive except a couple random blips. you can tell this card was only designed for mining.

Not in mining.... thats the only reason anybody would buy an AMD gpu anyway. For gaming its really not competitive except a couple random blips. you can tell this card was only designed for mining.

You do know how long GPU development takes right? The mining craze wasn't even thought about when Vega was damn near finished. It is still a flop, and that's coming from someone who likes AMD, but thinking it was made for only mining is just silly

You do know how long GPU development takes right? The mining craze wasn't even thought about when Vega was damn near finished. It is still a flop, and that's coming from someone who likes AMD, but thinking it was made for only mining is just silly
mining "craze" minimizes it to being a temporary thing. It's not. I made insane amounts of cash on the backs of my 290x's. You don't seem to understand how long mining has actually be profitable. Mining has been quite profitable since around the time the 6950's were king. Perhaps you only hear about it when the profits and ROI's are at bubble levels. There's continued to be profit to be made this entire time.

mining "craze" minimizes it to being a temporary thing. It's not. I made insane amounts of cash on the backs of my 290x's. You don't seem to understand how long mining has actually be profitable. Mining has been quite profitable since around the time the 6950's were king. Perhaps you only hear about it when the profits and ROI's are at bubble levels. There's continued to be profit to be made this entire time.

I don’t think his response means what you think it means.

Honestly I just want a good card at a fair price. That really shouldn't be this hard.

There are 1080's on Newegg for as low as $500, and Vega 56 still over priced is around $500 on there. That store you linked is price gouging.

There are 1080's on Newegg for as low as $500, and Vega 56 still over priced is around $500 on there. That store you linked is price gouging.

Every Canadian retailer has priced the 56 at $749. Newegg.ca, NCIX, Canada Computers, MemEx.. All of them. It's the same everywhere.

Every Canadian retailer has priced the 56 at $749. Newegg.ca, NCIX, Canada Computers, MemEx.. All of them. It's the same everywhere.

Ah I did not realize it was a Canadian store, make sense now. Its closer to US cost with exchange rate difference, but still over priced.

Edit: I still think its crazy that the EVGA 1080 FTW card I purchased over a year ago right after it came out is still the same price, such a high demand for the NVIDIA card still.

Checking my local PC parts store (www.memoryexpress.com), I found this:

I mean.. what even?

MemEx has been absolute garbage lately and price gouging, on 1080s as well

Ah I did not realize it was a Canadian store, make sense now. Its closer to US cost with exchange rate difference, but still over priced.

Edit: I still think its crazy that the EVGA 1080 FTW card I purchased over a year ago right after it came out is still the same price, such a high demand for the NVIDIA card still.

NewEgg.CA has 56 for $670
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131730

Um no, Nvidia has been absolute dog crap and the only reason I own any of their cards is: Mining ZEC or else it was the only option available for a Laptop capable of handling VMs and expanding to 64GB of ram

-Drivers have sucked since I got my laptop last year

-Gsync blew chunks and would drop me to 8 FPS if I played in a borderless window

-Witcher 3 had some issue where it would ghost his hair, I actually returned a monitor claiming their refresh rate was BS and noticed massive ghosting....was the 1070

-Drivers STILL suck, it's a couple of hours of effort to get more than 2 GPUs running on a board without one vanishing or Code 43 error

-1080 lowering power target...killed the card, figure that one out

-"Free Games" are NOT free, they are hardware locked so you cannot resell or gift them...awesome tactic oh and you are forced to sign up for geforce experience virus.

Couple of random blips? New DX12 and Vulkan games you mean? Unity does have Vulkan built in now and Forza might show us the future of games optimized for xbox one X, able to do 4k no issues is awesome.

Last edited:
There would be no reason to get the 56 over a 1080 at that price unless you just want AMD.

Um no, Nvidia has been absolute dog crap and the only reason I own any of their cards is: Mining ZEC or else it was the only option available for a Laptop capable of handling VMs and expanding to 64GB of ram

-Gsync blew chunks and would drop me to 8 FPS if I played in a borderless window

-Witcher 3 had some issue where it would ghost his hair, I actually returned a monitor claiming their refresh rate was BS and noticed massive ghosting....was the 1070

-Drivers STILL suck, it's a couple of hours of effort to get more than 2 GPUs running on a board without one vanishing or Code 43 error

-"Free Games" are NOT free, they are hardware locked so you cannot resell or gift them...awesome tactic oh and you are forced to sign up for geforce experience virus.

Having had a 1080 for over a year with multiple games I have had very little issues. Either I was very lucky or you were very unlucky. When running in boarderless window mode there always issues when trying to apply any driver settings or video processing in most cases, this has to do more with OS. With SLI I never had good luck so I am not surprised you had problems.

m i n e r s should be shot and then shot again
why, because they buy their product to use as they see fit, making $ mining is no different then playing games or using it to calculate other work related tasks, they "drive their car how they want because it is their damn car to be driving"

As far as mining is concerned so so many folks says "bitcoin mining" GPU have not been used to mine BTC in over a year now (because ASIC/FPGA made much cryptocurrency mining via GPU worthless) I guess folding at home users should also be shot and shot again huh..f off.

unless you got 10s of thousands $ to spend on massive clusters of them, I suppose if AMD or Nv were not making sales to anyone including cryptopcurrency miners and ONLY for gaming, how expensive do you think them fancy GPU would be at that point, likely not $100-$800 probably $1000-$2000..

AMD chose to keep "all the fat" for Radeon, whereas Ngreedia chose to chop the fat in many ways to allow them to ramp up clock speeds and emulate some features instead of doing them fully in hardware as previous generations did at the cost of "hotter running, more power consumed" yet even though was less under the hood they kept the same or higher pricing ontop of the Gsync tax that they claim "costs very little" yet the same monitor froma company using Gsync or not is noticeably more $, does not affect pricing my arse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------
anyways, yeh, AMD needs to stomp on their partners/etailer to insist they do not inflate pricing(within reason to still be profitable of course) because that means actual sellers will also inflate which damages AMD name (kind of like those folks who buy out a bunch of concert tickets just to resell them at a massive profit)

if everything goes flawless it is along the lines of "look at my shiny new ASUS Vega" but if things go poorly it is "AMD sucks because this card did not work right" or whatever motherboard same concept, all goes well, the maker such as MSI or ASUS gets congrats, but, if something goes wrong with it, automatically is AMD fault....Price control AMD, if you say X price in a statement, tell your partners not to jump pricing up, maybe not dictate as much as Nv does, but, free reign to partners to price them as they see fit $20-$100 or more just because they can is ludicrous, it hurts for Canadian customers let alone those in other parts of world get shafted far more cause of nothing blocking monopoly laws and such.

I can say in my experience every other metric put aside (unless from a maker choosing less than recommended vreg and such) Radeon and AMD product in general tend to be overbuilt for their intended purpose instead of relying on fancy software/hardware to make up the difference of lack of vreg/soldering methods. They are built well, they are built to last, 4870 from many years ago, 6870 many years ago, now 7870 all still functional still running just fine, I honestly cannot say that about many Intel/Nv products lasting that length of time IN MY EXPERIENCE. yes the cooling fans usually die out in a few years and often they are hard to 3rd party source, but at least the base product does not just up and "die" for no reason ^.^

long and short of it, the more cards that sit on the shelf the worse for the various companies, because that means loss of revenue which means loss of RnD for next generation, which means less and less competition, which likely means company out of business or the next one on the shelf will be that much more $$ to try to make up some $ they have lost from prior generation. if they were JUST for gaming purposes :ahem: Geforce these days, it means you pay through the nose for something that is technically just a sripped out race car..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------

I would like to see different tier of Radeons, taking kind of an example from Nvidia, the very highest end would be workstation/server only, the next tier down would be high end workstation high end enthusiast, next tier down chops some of that away to make a gaming focused card, next tier down a more budget focused, and a very specific tier for hashing purposes solely, this way here the various graphics cards used for different purposes are left for doing what they are needed/required for.

fact is, it is market demand, and everyone wants to make $, if they are flying off the shelves as fast as they are able to put them on the shelf, it "should" keep prices stable, but, everyone has sticky paws, so, fly off shelf too fast, price up, sit on the shelf price down bt next generation there may be less assortment of them cause they did not sell well last year sort of speak, cant win, sell to quickly, price jumps, sell to slowly price is where it should be, but, may not see again in future.......to to love supply and demand BS ^.^

MemEx has been absolute garbage lately and price gouging, on 1080s as well

NewEgg.CA has 56 for $670
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131730

Couple of random blips? New DX12 and Vulkan games you mean? Unity does have Vulkan built in now and Forza might show us the future of games optimized for xbox one X, able to do 4k no issues is awesome.

Gotta be a troll post.

Is it really a flop if they're able to sell every single card they can make? I was under the impression that prices are still high because people keep buying up all the supply. At least, from what I can find in my local area, they're all sold out everywhere, and even the Polaris cards are still ludicrously expensive.

Crypto-mining really killed the value proposition for Vega as a consumer product, but it seems like it does have some redeeming qualities in the industry space, both in terms of what it does for various workstation/render tasks, and cryptomining.

Is it really a flop if they're able to sell every single card they can make? I was under the impression that prices are still high because people keep buying up all the supply. At least, from what I can find in my local area, they're all sold out everywhere, and even the Polaris cards are still ludicrously expensive.

Crypto-mining really killed the value proposition for Vega as a consumer product, but it seems like it does have some redeeming qualities in the industry space, both in terms of what it does for various workstation/render tasks, and cryptomining.

Very valid points, I should have said it's a flop from a sheer gaming workload standpoint

That's why you buy at MSRP.

15305ac53279129906ea12951681e1f1.png

:D

Even at MSRP the 1070 would make more sense because at the same performance level as the 56 you get significantly less power draw.

Edit: IDK, I just found the Vega GPU's to be a disappointment, especially considering the hype. I wish it wasn't because competition is good.

Back