VCP410 - Passed!

Chilly

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I took the "VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting [V4.x]" class two weeks ago. After having completed the class, I booked the test and took the remaining time until the test date to study in-depth for the VCP using the blueprint and documentation.

I sat the VCP410 exam at my local Pearson Vue testing center this past Saturday(November 5th). Well, at the end of the test, I got my result... I PASSED! :D

In a few days once I get the confirmation and VCP ID# from VMware, I will be VCP4 certified! All I need to do now is finish testing and release my Intel 82579 NIC driver for ESXi 5. :p

Next up? VCAP-DCA 4, and VCP5! Any tips from anyone who has done them? :D

Congrats. How was the test vs the class? Was the class a waste of time?
The class doesn't teach you all that you need to know to pass the exam. However, the class is a prerequisite, can't take the exam (or more precisely, you can't call yourself a VCP) unless you fork over the ~$3k for the class.

There are cheaper alternatives to paying $3k if you have some patience. Especially if you're like me and paying for it yourself.

Congrats. How was the test vs the class? Was the class a waste of time?
I actually really liked the class.

I can't speak for the ICM class having never done it, but the Troubleshooting class I took was great. It was a good review session for things I both solidly knew, and sort-of understood, but didn't necessarily get a chance to play or work with too often. It was about 40% lecture, 60% lab work. It was presented in such a way that it wasn't boring, re-enforced certain knowledge, and even taught me a few new things. A large part of it, was, I'm sure that I had IMO a great teacher. :D

Having said that, very little of what we covered in the Troubleshooting class was on the VCP exam. It's not really the focus of the class, you'll still need to have a good level of vSphere knowledge before even going into the class, and if wanting to go for the VCP exam, more studying after. If your still pretty new to vSphere, and aren't comfortable with a CLI(command line interface), I'd probably recommend the ICM. Also, skip VCP4 and go for the VCP5.

I only did the VCP4 instead of going directly for VCP5 because it ended up being the only available class that fit my schedule.

All in all, for me it was a great review, gave my skills some good exercise, as well as giving me a chance to get hands on with stuff I don't normally have access to in my home lab(Fiber Channel, ESX{though, yes with vSphere 5, its no more}, IPMI{HP iLO in this case}, etc).

I second Chilly's thoughts on the Troubleshooting class. I really liked it..especially the logging piece which I needed badly.

Normally I wouldn't bump my own topic, but since someone else did it first :p

I passed my VCP510 exam this past Sunday! Squeaked in at the last minute before the VCP4-VCP5 deadline!

Grats man, I hope to pass VCP 5 here in the next month or so.

I just signed up for this class. Did you like it. Was the video and audio and notes and labs of good quuality ?

im

They basically teach from the book which is both good and bad. We had discussions on topics but in all honesty I could just read from the book and still been fine. I needed to get the class out of the way and I was dissecting the blueprint on my own so I had a much better grasp of the material than the class could provide. But it was nice to ask questions about topics I had come across and had some issues with.

CCC&TI had a virtualized ESXi inside ESXi type of setup using a View desktop as access into their environment. It wasn't the speediest thing in the world but you were able to perform all the labs in the lab manual. It was their first class so there were some technical difficulties that I wished that had worked out prior, but overall I didn't have much of an issue given that I paid for the class myself. Are there better ones out there? Not sure, but I enjoyed it and it was helpful and it meets the requirements at a price point I can't argue with if you're paying for it personally.

Remember, the ICM class was never meant to help you on the exam directly. If you want that, you'll have to take the new Fast Track classes which are only offered right now at regular Academies and not university scenarios as far as I know. I would take this or the other class at the lower cost if I was paying, and then hammer through the blueprint. I never used the video or audio because I was able to attend every class.

I just signed up for this class. Did you like it. Was the video and audio and notes and labs of good quuality ?

im

Are you in the CCCTI class that started tonight 6PM - 9PM? I am in that one if anyone else is let me know.

I signed up with ucsc. Ok I will have to hammer the blue print also to pass the exam. Let me know how the test goes.

I am in the ucsc class. The video lecture is good. The audio is good. The labs are good.I am doing the class on ubuntu. So cross platform support is good.

Passed my VCP-510 today. Enjoying a nice Three Floyd's Dreadnaught and smoking some ribs to celebrate. :)

Passed my VCP-510 today. Enjoying a nice Three Floyd's Dreadnaught and smoking some ribs to celebrate. :)

Congrats on passing! And not to go off topic, but dreadnaught is one of my favorite, so enjoy it - I grew up about 5 minutes away from their brewery, and I always got a kick out of the fact that three floyds was about the only thing that made our town of any note to people elsewhere.

Back