VCP now requires recertification after 2 years

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Following other vendors, and engaging in more nickel and diming, VMware recently announced that VCP certs are only good for two years before they have to be recertified.

In the past this wasn't much of an issue since major release versions followed a 2 year cycle anyway (3.5 in 2007, 4 in 2009, 5 in 2011). So what if someone could claim to be a VCP 4 if the current version is 5. One could speculate that the major release cycle will now be longer than 2 years prompting VMware to institute a "pay up or else" policy to generate additional revenue from the cert industry.

I'm pretty neutral on this (though I thought this was older news?). It makes sense, somewhat, to keep current on your certification so you know the latest offerings and how to "use" them.
I also thought that *any* equal or higher level cert would reset the timer? Like, if you have VCP5-DCV January 2014 say, and January 2016 rolls around... no new ESX version, so you can't get VCP6-DCV. Instead, you could get VCP5-DT, or any of the VCAP level ones to renew.

I'm sure it's money driven, though I don't feel that VMWare really makes *that* much money from these. And, this is based on the "speculation" you brought up, which may or may not be true. If you have a job that requires certification, I'm sure they'll be picking up the tab (or most of it, anyway), so it shouldn't be an issue. If you just want the certification for your own pleasure, well, that's the price to play the game. If you're job hunting and don't want the old certification for whatever reason, then get renewed on a higher level - it'll only look better on the resume anyway.

Just my thoughts on it.

I am currently doing my ITIL Foundation and just happened to log into VMware to check on which VCAs I have and noticed the disclaimer about the VCP expiring.

Interestingly enough GlobalKnowledge published an article on the 15 Top Paying certs for 2014 (probably some self-interest in that as well) http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/generic.asp?pageid=3632 and the VCP didn't make the list which was dominated by Security certs, Cisco, and Citrix instead.

The rise in value of security related experience and certs is what I have observed at our org as well to the point of hiring sub-qualified applicants at decent compensation just to have someone in the chair to do the work.

Security is huge. I wish I had more of an interest in it! I like dabbling in it, but I presently feel that I wouldn't enjoy it as my day gig. I don't really chase dollars around much, so I'm not looking for certs that'll pay me way more. I just want to do what makes me happy and lets me live how I want to live. :)

Last edited:
Security is huge. I wish I had more of an interest in it! I like dabbling in it, but I presently feel that I wouldn't enjoy it as my day gig. I don't really chase dollars around much, so I'm not looking for certs that'll pay me way more. I just want to do what makes me happy and lets me live how I want to live. :)

Amen!!!
I'm looking for that job that I enjoy showing up for each day.
Still searching ;)

On topic ... I recognize the need to maintain skill sets and grow new skills in this industry.

After all, Information Technology is a field you can spend 20+ years in and all that really
matters is the last six months and the next twelve months.

Certifications are good for pushing you to certify or re-certify in a given area.
Companies tend to fork out money for the exam, but not necessarily for the training.
Most companies tend to leave the real expense up to the worker.

Time and effort is the real cost ..and if you have to pay for the training (books/classes, etc) that's the $ but more important is the time... the time you have to take away from family or doing what it is you may want to do outside of work.

If you want to stay competitive in this market....well... do what you have to do.

Oh.. and those salaries in that GK link look really nice ... but of course don't tell a full story. Experience, geography and workforce supply and demand play a role.

I'm surprised Citrix Certs are listed up there ... I have them and I don't make six figures...but again ... I lack depth in my experience ... I tend to stay general and dabble in many things.

I work with Citrix stuff so it makes sense to certify and recertify on Citrix products.
Since XenApp/XenDesktop are tied to Microsft OSs, I should probably recert MCSE.
Since I rarely do anything with VMware any more (other than personal lab) ... I may/may not cert/recert.
I don't really do much in the way of networking ...so I have not recert'd CCNA in years.

IOW .. if I use it on a regular basis, I'll recert .. otherwise I like my personal time focused on what I want to do ..right now .. it's more family time.

This is unsurprising. As one of the few "real" certifications (one you can only acquire with actual knowledge and not just test prep) I think this is appropriate. The rate of change within the product is such that I think this is perfectly warranted.

Do I like it? No, that test was really, really hard. But.....challenge accepted. I like having a cert that sets you apart.

This is unsurprising. As one of the few "real" certifications (one you can only acquire with actual knowledge and not just test prep) I think this is appropriate. The rate of change within the product is such that I think this is perfectly warranted.

Do I like it? No, that test was really, really hard. But.....challenge accepted. I like having a cert that sets you apart.

I disagree, the VCP is vastly worthless. It is a stepping stone to the DCA / DCD, but anymore I'll skip it and inherit it. I got those done for 5, so with 6 I'll take that approach.

I'm involved in hiring new people, and you can easily see how many people go testking the VCP. You ask some of these people simple questions and they're green as shit despite the certification. Once they flop hardcore, they'll admit the brain dumps or whatever... it has gotten to the point it is now irrelevant. I wish I could say it was uncommon, but it happens now the MAJORITY of the time. It's sad.

Don't shoot the messenger, I used to be proud of my VCP too, but it means nothing unless you did it legit. If you did it legit, all the thousands of posers have ruined it for you -- go get the VCAPs and truly standout.

I disagree, the VCP is vastly worthless. It is a stepping stone to the DCA / DCD, but anymore I'll skip it and inherit it. I got those done for 5, so with 6 I'll take that approach.

I'm involved in hiring new people, and you can easily see how many people go testking the VCP. You ask some of these people simple questions and they're green as shit despite the certification. Once they flop hardcore, they'll admit the brain dumps or whatever... it has gotten to the point it is now irrelevant. I wish I could say it was uncommon, but it happens now the MAJORITY of the time. It's sad.

Don't shoot the messenger, I used to be proud of my VCP too, but it means nothing unless you did it legit. If you did it legit, all the thousands of posers have ruined it for you -- go get the VCAPs and truly standout.

This is, unfortunately, true. When I got my VCP back in 2009 I was so excited and it helped me land the job I have today. Now as a consultant I see so many guys with the cert that don't know shit about VMware but claim they do.

End of 2012 I got both VCAPs just to create a degree of separation between them and me so a client manager can't say to me "why should I listen to you? I have a VCP on staff."

Oh man, that stinks about VCP being a mostly worthless cert now :( I'm working on getting mine (been studying in my home lab and saving the scratch for the class + exam). I don't even want to know what I'll have to save up for the VCAP now, just to show I actually know this stuff. Looks like it might be a bit more time before I get to really dive into VMWare being the focus of my career.

VCP is becoming bull shit due to this. The classroom requirement and now re-certifying after 2 years? VMware material isn't even that hard and VMware knows this. I have far more difficult certifications and can't get my company to blow $3.5k on a stupideasy class like ICM to be able to sit for VCP.

I failed my VCP4 when I walked in cocky after having worked with vSphere for probably a couple of years. I didn't study and was like "how hard can it be?", well ..., it's not hard per se, but when all your experience is with vSphere Standard then passing becomes a matter of chance as Enterprise and Enterprise+ as well as Fibre Channel questions can do you in.

VCP5 wasn't a big deal after I knew that I needed to check Enterprise+, I got a 3 server lab setup at work, monkeyed around a bit and then passed the VCP5 easily.

I am convinced that the VCP is of zero value to an employer. Spending training budget on Pluralsight is a much better value than burning cash on VMware training, payroll, and travel expenses to get the ICM training.

I am also convinced that the VCP is of little value to an employee. Maybe it gets you an interview if you are at the beginning of your career.

I am obviously eligible for the VCAP but haven't taken it. I run a small VMware environment and it's set up to essentially run itself. If I spend 2-3 hours a week working on the VMware environment then that's much. Sure, it took hours and hours to optimize it and set it all up such that it's now low maintenance, but because I don't constantly work with it I wouldn't know how to solve some issue with PowerCLI or some such. VCAP is likely out of my reach.

Furthermore, I am largely done monkeying with vSphere or systems in general. Now I monkey with budgets, staff schedules, "stakeholder engagement" and such. Service and project management have taken the front seat.

not just that, the devops movement is growing by multitudes, along with cloud adoption even by large environments. Our main VCP guy here is already feeling left in the dark with our massive push to Chef/automation with openstack/AWS/GCE. There is going to be a drastic affect on the need for just a VCP guy over the next 3-5 yrs.

Points taken for sure re: VCP, you must put prospective employees through practical situations to weed out the impostors. VCAP is definitely next up. Appreciate the thoughts from all, that's why I come here.

Back