[VC] AMD Radeon HD 9000 Series Launching in October?

A moderator needs to give Stormclaw a warning or a ban for attack on another forum member. That is just uncalled for.

Use the handy handy Report Post button :rolleyes: :eek:

In any case, the new gaming bundle (that was re-posted in these forums a few days ago) will be tied to the new cards i guess?
I still call them ATI cards, even though they are AMD, just can't call them AMD Radeon..

Do you get tearing on any of the monitors? I'm having that issue at the moment. I can only run 3 if I want a tear free experience.

yup.. a little tearing... I'm talking to a certain manufacture about releasing an Eyefinity 6 top end card in this new card coming out ... whatever they are going to call it ... who wants an Eyefinity 6 7870... I told them of all the tearing problems and that the should make a Eyefinity 3 card with 3 Dual link DVI off of one card too... they should of made a Eyefinity 6 7970 on release day... Sapphire just announced the 7990 Atomic ( which has 6 mini dp outs) .... but I cant get my hands on one let alone 2 ... I would love to run 2 of them....

yup.. a little tearing... I'm talking to a certain manufacture about releasing an Eyefinity 6 top end card in this new card coming out ... whatever they are going to call it ... who wants an Eyefinity 6 7870... I told them of all the tearing problems and that the should make a Eyefinity 3 card with 3 Dual link DVI off of one card too... they should of made a Eyefinity 6 7970 on release day... Sapphire just announced the 7990 Atomic ( which has 6 mini dp outs) .... but I cant get my hands on one let alone 2 ... I would love to run 2 of them....

Hopefully you make head room. It sucks that there is a better eyefinity experience on the 5870 eyefinity 6 edition then on any of the newer top tier cards. If mst hubs were manufactured by more than one company and available in the states, this would be less of an issue.

Dude, if you think amd drivers are any better, you're mistaken.

I cant wait to sell off my ATi's and get 780 SLI setup.

Exactly... I have bought ATI cards pretty much every generation since the Radeon 9700 Pro (I only skipped the HD 2xxx and HD 6xxx series), and consistently nVidia's drivers have been better overall by far. It sucks because ATI's cards tend to be cheaper and would be great deals if they could get their house in order on some of the annoying hardware bugs like others mentioned, and their drivers in general + slow updates for multi-card use. I'd have loved to stay with crossfire or go for crossfire many times but it hasn't worked well, so I've inevitably ended up with an nVidia card in my systems. If ATI gets a decent track record and fixes their stuff, I'd switch in a heartbeat assuming better price/perf. Right now it's just not there, so I'm on a GTX 780 SC ACX... which is somewhat highly-priced for a single-GPU setup despite performing really well.

Anyone who refers to their AMD cards as 'ATI' cards forfiets all credibility. Unless you have some X1850 cards or earlier, you have your video card's manufacturer wrong.

Not all of us are new to computers ;).

Bring back the 9800 Pro! :p
I would be interested in a revision of an AIW 9800 Pro.

I still have my old one hanging around somewhere.

If the proposed drivers that AMD was "supposedly" going to have out by tomorrow have any merit to them, then this new hardware might be interesting.

Anyone who refers to their AMD cards as 'ATI' cards forfiets all credibility. Unless you have some X1850 cards or earlier, you have your video card's manufacturer wrong.

You lose all credibility due to the fact that the branding of ATI/AMD cards was not changed until the 6xxx series. Even though AMD bought them out, they still were under the brand of ATI and therefore up until recent years, it has been ATI.

The ATI 5870, the last of the greats.. I still forget and call AMD GPU's ATI on occasion.

Exactly... I have bought ATI cards pretty much every generation since the Radeon 9700 Pro (I only skipped the HD 2xxx and HD 6xxx series), and consistently nVidia's drivers have been better overall by far. It sucks because ATI's cards tend to be cheaper and would be great deals if they could get their house in order on some of the annoying hardware bugs like others mentioned, and their drivers in general + slow updates for multi-card use. I'd have loved to stay with crossfire or go for crossfire many times but it hasn't worked well, so I've inevitably ended up with an nVidia card in my systems. If ATI gets a decent track record and fixes their stuff, I'd switch in a heartbeat assuming better price/perf. Right now it's just not there, so I'm on a GTX 780 SC ACX... which is somewhat highly-priced for a single-GPU setup despite performing really well.

Not all of us are new to computers ;).

It's AMD's mentality... always being content with being an also ran. They will continue focusing on performance per watt on graphics which is the exact opposite they do with the CPU's. AMD graphics are fantastic for OEM's and that is what continually drives them. Of course the mining community will keep pushing AMD sales since hell the old 5xxx cards are still selling for a really high amount.

I went down to my basement today and boy was it ever hot with only 1450khash running LTC. Whenever my other cards get back from RMA its really gonna be horrible down there

You lose all credibility due to the fact that the branding of ATI/AMD cards was not changed until the 6xxx series. Even though AMD bought them out, they still were under the brand of ATI and therefore up until recent years, it has been ATI.

I said manufacturer, not brand. In fact, I said that in the post you quoted.

this is depressing. I think at the target performance and price ill just stick to 7950's for like $230~ new

The market is so stagnant right now... There is no incentive to upgrade. HD 9XXX will still be on 28nm since TSMC won't be ready until q2 2014. :(

What about the rumours, that AMD will pull an nvidia like renaming?
I heard that the new 9970 and 9950 will be the beefed up cards around 780/titan performance, and the lower cards will be renamed like 7970->9870, 7950->9850
So the current top cards will be mid range...

What about the rumours, that AMD will pull an nvidia like renaming?
I heard that the new 9970 and 9950 will be the beefed up cards around 780/titan performance, and the lower cards will be renamed like 7970->9870, 7950->9850
So the current top cards will be mid range...

Eh, kind of close. Tahiti will end up in there somewhere, Curacao is mostly beefed Pitcairn, it's more of "new configs" (ie. different silicon) with the same arch rather than just straight up rebranding like GTX770.

Eh, kind of close. Tahiti will end up in there somewhere, Curacao is mostly beefed Pitcairn, it's more of "new configs" (ie. different silicon) with the same arch rather than just straight up rebranding like GTX770.

yup the same i heard, that they get some tweaks..
I'm really aiming for the 9970, but a bit afraid about the price. Around 700 is acceptable for me, but the $1000 rumours dropped my enthusiasm a bit...

yup the same i heard, that they get some tweaks..
I'm really aiming for the 9970, but a bit afraid about the price. Around 700 is acceptable for me, but the $1000 rumours dropped my enthusiasm a bit...

No idea about price, but based on the Titan, it's performance is worth that... still don't think it will be >$700. If it's 20nm, could be possible as AMD will be using expensive risk production silicon, if it's 28nm (which is very unlikely for Hawaii), it will likely be much much less.

No idea about price, but based on the Titan, it's performance is worth that... still don't think it will be >$700. If it's 20nm, could be possible as AMD will be using expensive risk production silicon, if it's 28nm (which is very unlikely for Hawaii), it will likely be much much less.

Im checking for new info every day, would be good to at least know the real specs of the chip.
My bet is it needs to perform around the Titan, because AMD clearly shooting for the fastest single gpu card with this. Or it could be between 780 and Titan with a better price, but no medal to AMD. We'll see soon.

Im seriously thinking to get some cheapo 6670 card, and selling my 7870 now, before the prices go down with the release...but its still two moths away...

Im checking for new info every day, would be good to at least know the real specs of the chip.
My bet is it needs to perform around the Titan, because AMD clearly shooting for the fastest single gpu card with this. Or it could be between 780 and Titan with a better price, but no medal to AMD. We'll see soon.

Im seriously thinking to get some cheapo 6670 card, and selling my 7870 now, before the prices go down with the release...but its still two moths away...

Just about a month from today there may be a big event that you will be very interested in :p

Specs are impressive, performance is based on clocks which aren't near final yet

Just about a month from today there may be a big event that you will be very interested in :p

Specs are impressive, performance is based on clocks which aren't near final yet

does the HD 9970 OC have a chance of competing with Titan OC. so basically can it match Titan clock for clock. if it can its going to be an amazing card even at USD 650. if it can match GTX 780 clock for clock its just ok. anything less is disappointing.

the fact is nvidia would be safely stocking up full GK110s for a GTX Titan II and maybe releasing a 2688 sp GTX 785 with 3GB VRAM and slightly higher clocks.

also the other big question is how good are AMD HD 9970 / HD 9950 reference cooling solutions going to be. Nvidia raised the bar in a big way with the Titan / GTX 780 ref cooler. AMD needs to get this right otherwise they will be ridiculed for not measuring upto the competition.

also is BF4 going to be bundled with HD 9970 and HD 9950 cards. that could make these cards very enticing .

Last edited:
It performs like a top card should perform, but I can't say too much. Expect some weird news with the memory system, it's less like recent cards and more like good 'ol Nvidia big-die method.

Ref cooler isn't even close to finalized yet, dno bout that

It performs like a top card should perform, but I can't say too much. Expect some weird news with the memory system, it's less like recent cards and more like good 'ol Nvidia big-die method.

Ref cooler isn't even close to finalized yet, dno bout that

Well, count me in as waiting then. It'll be a very interesting time for the $200 level of video cards. :D

Ive never seen a good deal on a 6670. Whatever you would spend on a 6670 and sell your 7870 seems a waste to me. 7870s are selling for $170~ new, what do you expect to get out of used now versus 6 months from now. i think the 7870 have already depreciated

Definitely going for a HD9970, it'll be quite a jump up from the current HD6970. I'm hoping for twice the performance, actually... might get another year or two out of these old components if so. Guess we'll see!

Enough speculation, what do we actually know?

We know that the Titan is not REALLY part of the current 700 or 600 series Nvidia lineup. AMD might not be pressured to take it on. As far as AMD is concerned; the 7990 is the competitor to the Titan. Maybe the 9k Radeon flagship will position itself to more compete with the 780. And we'll have to wait for a dual-chip card to blow the Titan out of the water!

I hope this is not the case, but AMD has dissiapointed me before...

Enough speculation, what do we actually know?

We know that the Titan is not REALLY part of the current 700 or 600 series Nvidia lineup. AMD might not be pressured to take it on. As far as AMD is concerned; the 7990 is the competitor to the Titan. Maybe the 9k Radeon flagship will position itself to more compete with the 780. And we'll have to wait for a dual-chip card to blow the Titan out of the water!

I hope this is not the case, but AMD has dissiapointed me before...

Actually 7990 is the competitor to GTX 690 .
We can agree that Nv "cheated" a bit, when they brought down the GK110, i don't know if AMD tries to beat them in this for "fastest single GPU", but if they only bring 2 really new card (the 9970 and 9950), and just renaming the the southern islands (7970->9870, etc.) with minor tweaks like Bonaire on the 77xx family, then they clearly following Nv's strategy.

If only the powercolor 7990's were actually "reference" (i.e. the current AMD 7990s) PCBs... those prices on the egg are outright ridiculous.. $629 for a 7990.. that's unreal.

edit: rumor has it the powercolor 7990's (previously known to be the "rare" Devil-13 cards) are voltage locked. not sure if this is true or not but would explain the large price difference

I'd steer clear of Powercolor cards anyways but it could be a nice option for somebody who can fit a 3-slot card into a smaller build

If only the powercolor 7990's were actually "reference" (i.e. the current AMD 7990s) PCBs... those prices on the egg are outright ridiculous.. $629 for a 7990.. that's unreal.

edit: rumor has it the powercolor 7990's (previously known to be the "rare" Devil-13 cards) are voltage locked. not sure if this is true or not but would explain the large price difference

I'd steer clear of Powercolor cards anyways but it could be a nice option for somebody who can fit a 3-slot card into a smaller build

It seems that there is/will be a price drop on all 7990, at least in europe, AMD dropped from 870 to 700EUR.

It seems that there is/will be a price drop on all 7990, at least in europe, AMD dropped from 870 to 700EUR.

They were briefly 596 euro on Pixmania AFAIK. But man, 630 dollars (seems to be 650 when I look at the site) after rebates just insane. As per the other poster, this is a custom PCB, and the cooler is good. Man, this price drop is simply fantastic.

They were briefly 596 euro on Pixmania AFAIK. But man, 630 dollars (seems to be 650 when I look at the site) after rebates just insane. As per the other poster, this is a custom PCB, and the cooler is good. Man, this price drop is simply fantastic.

Agreed but i will still wait for the 9970...but have to admit, its tempting to get one of those, or just two 7970 which as it seems will be cheaper than a 9970.

Edit: <don't confuse the issue. These speces never made much sense anyway (20nm? suure)>

Last edited:
Back