VB and Access?

jnick

2[H]4U
I'm a CIT student, and now that I'm on break, my dad decided to give me a pretty lengthy project for personal use. He wants me to create him a specific database, which as far as I'm concerned, is pretty advanced (for my level at least). I started tonight as I had nothing to do, however I'm not really digging the Access VB editor that's built-in.

My question is, is there anyway to create the form and any coding needing to be done in the acutal VB.NET program than either import that form, or somehow have access accept that form and code, rather than creating it in Access's lame mini-VB?

Basically, I want to create a from within VB.NET then import it, or create a relationship to where I'm able to use that form as the main form in Access and the form uses the information within the Access database.

Ex: I create the form in VB with list boxes, and those boxes, when used in access, will display fixed information.

Is this possible? If so, how? Even if all that's provided is a tutorial from a web-site, I'll be happy.

Thank you :).

No, you can't create a form in VB.NET, then import it into Access. You can either create the forms directly in Access (the "VB" in Access is actually a streamlined version of VB called Visual Basic for Applications; its based upon VB 6), or create the tables in Access and use VB.NET to create an executable as the front-end.

If you know VB.NET, VBA should be a piece of cake.

I agree with Y2K SE. You can access the tables from VB.NET. All you have to do is make sure your references are set up, and you can even use the Access-specific objects.

I think it would be easier overall to just use the built in Access VBA since it is tailored to understand most of the constructs of the database for you, and you don't have to build your own procedures to handle basic things like referencing records in an orderly fasion.

I do a lot of VBA programming for my job, and it's really very easy. I learn it all ad-hoc and that works just fine for me. The help system in VBA sucks, but Google is my friend. :)

Back