Vaseline Launches Skin-Whitening Facebook India App

HardOCP News

[H] News
You’d think that a Facebook app that makes your skin look whiter in your profile picture would stir up controversy but it hasn’t. Apparently the opposite is true, people in India love it.

"We started campaign advertising (for the application) from the second week of June and the response has been pretty phenomenal," Pankaj Parihar from global advertising firm Omnicom, which designed the campaign, told AFP.

I've enjoyed watching this story ping pong around the web to the enraged confusion of liberals who aren't sure if they should condemn the "racism", or be culturally sensitive to the fact that skin lightening is as desirable to Indians as tanning is to Americans.

I've enjoyed watching this story ping pong around the web to the enraged confusion of liberals who aren't sure if they should condemn the "racism", or be culturally sensitive to the fact that skin lightening is as desirable to Indians as tanning is to Americans.

I wouldn't want to look any whiter than I do, to each their own. They can borrow some of the surplus white I have left over from the Scottish part of my ancestry.

I've enjoyed watching this story ping pong around the web to the enraged confusion of conservatives who aren't sure if they should join in on the "racism", or be culturally sensitive to the fact that classism is as rampant in India as bigotry is in America.

well in a country that prefers lighter skinned indians to darker... of course they would like it lol or hate it guess it depends on your morals.

This.

The download is designed to promote Vaseline's range of skin-lightening creams for men
That's the shocking part. Who are these sissies? Men shouldn't use make up.

I've enjoyed watching clueless anons think their own(professors) moral relativism applies to anyone other than themselves; or that anyone even cares about what they puppet from their community college Sociology 101 class.

I've enjoyed watching clueless anons think their own(professors) moral relativism applies to anyone other than themselves; or that anyone even cares about what they puppet from their community college Sociology 101 class.

So basically you're saying that all professors (especially liberal ones?) try to push their point of view on their students. While this is true in some cases, it is not always true. In cases that it was true, I have had both conservative and liberal professors try to push their point of view on me btw. Don't believe all of the bs you hear on the radio (I have listened to both conservative and liberal radio stations and both of them are wrong 90% of the time).

Don't forget the Americans who think orange is a good shade to have :D

So basically you're saying that all professors (especially liberal ones?) try to push their point of view on their students. While this is true in some cases, it is not always true. In cases that it was true, I have had both conservative and liberal professors try to push their point of view on me btw. Don't believe all of the bs you hear on the radio (I have listened to both conservative and liberal radio stations and both of them are wrong 90% of the time).

More an issue of the soft/pseudo science majors. Or like I posted, kids taking a Sociology class then thinking they know anything about anything. Left/right, it doesnt matter.

Almost zero bias during my EE undergrad work. Kinda hard to spin vetted equations and laws to suit political agendas.

Always people wanting to flip the racist card......

300_movie_image_gerard_butler.jpg

THIS IS RACISM!!!

I've enjoyed watching this story ping pong around the web to the enraged confusion of conservatives who aren't sure if they should join in on the "racism", or be culturally sensitive to the fact that classism is as rampant in India as bigotry is in America.

lol, whatever you want to say about what you believe conservatives are really thinking. Seems you have 6th sense, or were conservatives actually posting confusion in news comments sections?

I wonder if Michael Jackson had something like this except all the time? lol

As an actual non-straw-man progressive, I have no confusion on this 'issue' at all. Of course they should be free to do whatever they want with their own pictures.

If he did, he had an extreme form of it that affected more than just "patches"...

Sorry but when the dude says his nose is natural I really don't believe him about his skin color, either :p

His nose is 100% natural......well, OK, maybe its man made from natural products..:)

nothing is wrong with wanting to change your skin color no difference than tanning. I would love to be black so I could dunk.

Seems everyone is confused... as usual.

I would love to be white so I could vomit out stereotypes like this.

But wouldn't that be a stereotype that you have to be white to use stereotypes? Wesley Snipes has proven that you have to be Black to dunk in his documentary white men can't jump.

But wouldn't that be a stereotype that you have to be white to use stereotypes? Wesley Snipes has proven that you have to be Black to dunk in his documentary white men can't jump.

It's only a stereotype if you're conservative.

So now if I call up a tech support and speak to an person that is of obvious Indian descent, if I were to look at their Facebook, "Robert" or "Amy" might look a bit closer to who their work alter ego?

I am so sick of facebook pictures and how fat chicks angle the fucking camera to hide their lard asses, now facebook is helping indian chicks look hotter than they are.

STOP THE MADNESS

Its bad enough chicks clothes completely misrepresent their body most of the time.

Hey kids! Now you can look like the Indian version of Michael Jackson!

(kids shouting "yeah!")

I don't see the problem here. Some people want to be darker skinned and some people want to be lighter skinned. Same with hair color. To each his own.

I don't see the problem here. Some people want to be darker skinned and some people want to be lighter skinned. Same with hair color. To each his own.

Except the only people who want to be darker are largely white people, and lighter is pretty much everywhere else in the world where's there's people of color. It could be simply that they want to look like they don't have to do hard labor for a living, which is where the preference started or it could be something more.

India isn't the only country in the world where a lighter tone is more desirable, people glue their eye lids to look like they have bigger eyes, believe orange is a perfectly acceptable shade of tan and the redder you are is considered social status. That list is just off the top of my head for things that are desirable in different countries and those aren't even the real "outlandish" ones. Sex appeal believe it or not, varies from one country to the next. America (US of A) does however have a habit of influencing other countries perceptions of attractive through Hollywood films and getting the wrong idea about what is the norm in other countries and then trying to intervene.

Back