Varjo Creates a VR Display Suitable for Use While Driving

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Varjo has announced a partnership with Volvo to create a VR HMD that is suitable for use while driving. It is already in use on Scandinavian roads according to Volvo. The goal of the project is to create mixed reality apps that integrate seamlessly into the real world. Press release from Varjo. Volvo press release.

The XR-1 enables the real and the virtual to achieve true visual parity – with the XR-1, the dream of ‘Hard AR’ (where you can no longer tell apart what is real and what is virtual) has at last been achieved in a professional product. The XR-1 upgrades Varjo’s human-eye resolution headset (VR-1) with a front plate featuring dual 12 mpx cameras. The core technology making photorealism possible is video-pass-through. It means that the device uses cameras to digitize the world in real time, and then multiplexes it inside the GPU with the virtual content to show the combined result to the user. The Varjo VR-1 is the only device with the high resolution to make the seamless visual blending possible, and the XR-1 has the only camera technology capable of producing high resolution with unperceivable latency (< 15 ms).

“We have been in close collaboration with Volvo for over a year,” said Urho Konttori, founder and chief product officer at Helsinki-based Varjo, in an interview with VentureBeat. “We press a button and you see the wire frame. Then we press another button and it becomes a real car. You can see a semi-transparent heads-up display that Volvo is testing.”

Look I am a huuuuuuge tech nerd, and even I do not approve of this.

I can only imagine driving down the highway around 60 before being met with "I am sorry the program "video pass through" has stopped responding" please wait 30 seconds for this subsystem to reboot.

Cool tech though, may be fun/useful when it is never has issues and humans can multitask.

Yo dawg, we heard you really like driving cars. So we put a VR helmet in your car so lifelike, that while you are driving in real life it will really feel like you are driving! The haptic feedback is to die for.

Although I have heard of applications in airplanes where something like this allows the pilot to see "through" the plane at targets below and other directions.

Still waiting on Scandinavia (Sweden - Koenigsegg) to make a production design of their pneumatic valve engine heads. That will be a revolutionary enough change to cars for a little while.

Although I have heard of applications in airplanes where something like this allows the pilot to see "through" the plane at targets below and other directions.

The F35 has that functionality but the helmet cost around $400,000.

Back