Variety Predicts Apple Will Buy Sony Pictures in 2019

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Variety has published its predictions for the coming year, and there’s a pretty bold one: the publication believes Apple will scoop up Sony’s movie business to boost the library of its future streaming service. Comic book fans are quick to point out that if this were to happen, the rights to Spider-Man would revert to Marvel.

The Silicon Valley giant will finally recognize it could use some Hollywood expertise as it tries to catch up with Netflix’s and Amazon’s streaming services. Buying Sony gives Apple access to a library that includes “Men in Black,” “Breaking Bad” and “Jumanji,” as well as the right to make more “Spider-Man” movies. That’s a web Apple would be lucky to spin. Also, buying a studio is basically a rounding error for a company worth $1 trillion.

"the rights to Spider-Man would revert to Marvel."
That would be great if SM goes back to Marvel, hopefully Venom also, I for one can't see crApple doing a good Marvel film.

Um, where in the article it says SM would go back to Marvel?
"Buying Sony gives Apple access to a library that includes “Men in Black,” “Breaking Bad” and “Jumanji,” as well as the right to make more “Spider-Man” movies."
Nevermind, it's in the comment section......

At this point Sony should sell everything off except it's console. Maybek keep it's TV division. Become like Nintendo. Make games and a system nothing more. The company is not what it used to be.

Won't say it's impossible but I think very unlikely. I'd say more probable that Disney would have greater interest.

Sony hasn't been doing much anything great lately for movies. It could be a good move, if Apple didn't have a track record of buying stuff and making it worse, but selling it better (during the Jobs era, Cook doesn't have that magic).

Sony's new Spiderman movie is excellent and many are calling it The best Spiderman or superhero movie ever.

Took the kids to see it this weekend and I have to admit it was way better than I thought it would be.

In other news, Apple is planning on unavailing its new iCar in 2029.......rumors are rumors until its already happened. This is how speculation marketing is turned into manipulation......Stock jumps 4 points due to a rumor, investors buy buy buy.....oh wait they decided its not a good idea, stock drops 1.5 points.

You mean Amazon or is it Google?

I figured either wal-mart or amazon would win their fight, merge, and then wal-mazon/amaz-mart would just consume everything left as it bought up a key player in every segment to complete vertical integration of every consumer product.

At this point Sony should sell everything off except it's console. Maybek keep it's TV division. Become like Nintendo. Make games and a system nothing more. The company is not what it used to be.
Do you know how big a corporation Sony Corporation is? Selling everything but SIE would literally reduce the company by like 90%.

Back