Vapochill - stop me before it's too late :P

I havn't posted on this forum for ages and ages...

I'm going to be building a new rig soon and have been seriously considering the vapochill. I have a few questions first.

How hard is it to make this thing pretty much silent? All the reviews equate the noise level to that of a normal air cooled rig. However, they are usually running at full tilt. I'm not looking for any rediculous overclocks, just something good and stable. I don't mind toning things down a bit if I can get a near silent machine.

Also, how are they for traveling? I have to move a lot because of work. Usually long car trips. I know with some compressors if you tilt them a certain way it can ruin them. Maybe this is only with old fridges, I don't know. But I don't want a system that can't take a little bit of abuse.

Also, anyone ordered online from Asetek? The only Canadian dist is in quebec and only seems to carry the XE edition, I'm not sure if I want the XE.

I dont have a Vapochill but I do have a kryotech unit since 98'. Phase changers kick @ss!! A cooler processor runs more stable and u can over clock the bejesus out of them! However for travel they can be pretty hefty... my kryo unit weighs about 50 lbs so its a pain to move around especially with no handles. Now ive heard that the Vapochill has a smaller compressor so they are lighter

at an added 34 or so pounds, moving it is a bitch. Its phasechange. MUCH quieter than high end air. If you want to "tone it down" than phasechange isint for you.

If you need some advice about the vapochill, talk to the guys at www.snt-systems.com , they sell them and have had experience with it, I'm sure they'd be able to help you out.

I was trying to decided on Vapo vs. Mach. I liked the looks and everything about the Vapo but one thing. The way the compressor runs off of the p.s. Everything is off the p.s. Not saying thats a bad thing, but everythings sorta "integrated" together. For that reason I went w/ a mach. It's a sorta stand alone type unit ( powerwise ).

Just a little input.

SVTtruck02 said:
I was trying to decided on Vapo vs. Mach. I liked the looks and everything about the Vapo but one thing. The way the compressor runs off of the p.s. Everything is off the p.s. Not saying thats a bad thing, but everythings sorta "integrated" together. For that reason I went w/ a mach. It's a sorta stand alone type unit ( powerwise ).

Just a little input.

That is not true with the new vapo ls. It is a total seperate unit and it kicks ass. It is heavy so portability would be a problem. It weighs about 30 pounds. You can also turn the fans down to make it quieter. And as far as tech support there is only one way to go. Vapo is the only game in town now. Check out the reviews at xtremesystems and xtremeresources.

K, thanks guys.

I guess I will go with the vapochill. I will probably hold off a month or so because of the price. But I want a nice quiet case that can still overclock well. Plus, the cool factor is a bonus :p

It´s not loud at all. you can turn down the speed of those fans with Chill control so it become almost silent ;)

If you aren't looking for outrageous overclocking and just want a cool quiet system, why bother with the condenser and all the hassel of insulating agaist condensation? Water cooling will give you what you want.

No it´s much louder if you want a decent performing water cooling setup :). And it´s not that hard at all to assemble a Vapochill. And with the new A64 evaporhead it´s just impossible not getting a good contact ;)

But yeah the Vapochill is aimed at overclock enthusiasts that´s for sure :)

oqvist said:
No it´s much louder if you want a decent performing water cooling setup :). And it´s not that hard at all to assemble a Vapochill. And with the new A64 evaporhead it´s just impossible not getting a good contact ;)

But yeah the Vapochill is aimed at overclock enthusiasts that´s for sure :)

And as soon as I have the money, I shall own one of those little monkeys.

Yeah they don´t come for cheap that´s for sure.

But the LS is the higher performing and if you have a case already it won´t really be much more expensive :). That is if you don´t want the vapochill case it´s criminally good looking now that I got a black rheobus controller and black front multimedia bay and black dvd recorder to match it. It´s insane good looking. Not if you look into it though. The case in itself is big but the problem is 1 third is wasted on the compressor area so the rest is not bigger than an average miditower. It´s incredible crammed but I could fit a 6800 ULTRA and even have a 92 mm fan on a fanarm to cool my hot running OCZ memory.

Now it may be hard to get good airflow in the case but really you don´t need it since all the heat and more is taking away from the CPU. There is place for 1 120 mm fan in front of the case and 3 50 mm exhaust fans in the rear which as you can imagine is quite pointless. Me I modded a slot cooler instead to aid my PSU in removing air from the case. I am aircooling my 6800 ULTRA so I guess that and my mem could benefit from some airflow.

Just make sure your mainboard is compatible with the Vappo before buying it :)

But about the power issue. The Vappo XE runs on a smaller compressor than the Mach 2 units and LS thus it´s fine with integrated power. I don´t remember the exact numbers but it wasn´t to much really. Now the only problem I have with this integrated approach is space. My PC Power and cooling 510 deluxe fits the case but no more really. The PSU is placed above the CPU area btw.

And with the new A64 evaporhead it´s just impossible not getting a good contact

I have a old socket A kit. Is this new evaporhead part of the Socket 939,754,940,478 - upgradekit?

Yes it´s. I think almost all new Vappos ship with it now. If you go 939 check out the vapochill forums. There is some problems with filling all socket pins with thermal grease leading to corrosion of CPU pins. You have to remove the top cover or something. I don´t own the 939 so check out the vapochill forums but something to look out for :)

oqvist said:
Yes it´s. I think almost all new Vappos ship with it now. If you go 939 check out the vapochill forums. There is some problems with filling all socket pins with thermal grease leading to corrosion of CPU pins. You have to remove the top cover or something. I don´t own the 939 so check out the vapochill forums but something to look out for :)

I have had mine on for 5 months now and it has no signs of pin rot. The thread you are refering to was an isolated incident. I have the socket filled with dielectric grease and around the socket I put dielectric silicone to make it air tight. I have had no problems.

If you're not planning to OC that much, i would just advise to get watercooling. It's still silent and will provide pretty good cooling.

Vapo_Chillin said:
I have had mine on for 5 months now and it has no signs of pin rot. The thread you are refering to was an isolated incident. I have the socket filled with dielectric grease and around the socket I put dielectric silicone to make it air tight. I have had no problems.

I would still suggest you keep it under surveillance doesn´t hurt :) As with every new socket that hasn´t been properly tested... There has been more then one that had that problem some very experienced.

I would steer clear from integrated power solution. As you do reach higher performance level, your PSU becomes more of bottle neck. With phasecooling this becomes real potential limit on your ocing more than when you were on air or water. (you simply are drawing more power than you did before). No need to stress out already stressed out PSU. Good working used prommy would be what I would recommend or if you really want to go brand new, Vaporchill LS. I reckon my R404'd prommy is just notch below Vaporchill LS or Mach 2 GT on temps. (Idle temp on stock 3200+ goes to -48c or so and load goes to -43c or so... with more heat load, the temp climbs up though... with current oc, idle is about -45 load is about -36 with fan running at half speed and -46, -39 full fan speed)
The vapor LS looks great but I will wait till my prommy is out of capacity (probably when we start seeing heavy duty dual cores).

But then the compressor Vapochill XE uses don´t require that much it´s a lot smaller than the ones in the mach 2:s and LS. I don´t know but less then 80 W I think it was.

Back