vanilla wow

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
Just played on a vanilla wow server and it was pretty amazing. Hard, more immersive, really cool just playing the pure vision.

Vanilla is the only version I ever played. Played from launch for about 9 months, then quit. I remember the servers dropping me often and the more people that were playing the more lag there was. Weekends the game was almost unplayable. Finally Blizzard took one day a week ( I think Tuesday ) and shut the game down for server maintenance. People were outraged because they were paying a sub and expected access to the game 24/7. Vanilla WoW at launch, those were the daze!

god I remember the 8 hour AV battles lol, spend so long fighting back and forth, having guys dedicated to blood and armor scrap gathering so you could summon your elemental and hope that you could push hard enough with it to turn the tide.

Wow was my first ever MMO. I remember how blown away I was by the size of the play fields and lack of loading screens. Won't forget the first time I walked into Ironforge. Never experienced anything like it in video games before or since. Walked up this path thinking I would find a place my dwarf could make a sword or an ax. A blacksmith shop with a smithy, Ironforge, right? Instead I walk into this massive edifice of architecture to the sound of imposing music and find a gigantic indoor city! I look around and see lots of other characters, and then I realize they are all other players like me! That experience of walking into Ironforge for the first time and seeing all the other players in this huge place with no loading screens was a truly transforming experience in my gaming life.

god I remember the 8 hour AV battles lol, spend so long fighting back and forth, having guys dedicated to blood and armor scrap gathering so you could summon your elemental and hope that you could push hard enough with it to turn the tide.
And the god-awful choke points!

people and their rose colored glasses, Vanilla WoW was not hard, mote immersive? Maybe since you had to walk/run everywhere until lvl 40 and there was no flying. you had to discover things on your own. Also much fewer flight paths (none of which you knew until you actually found it) It was more immersive because you were forced to wander around and explore it. I'll never forget taking the boat to theramore from auberdine and then running to Ironforge on my night elf.

If you weren't in a decent guild then you relied on PUG's for 40 man raids and Dungeons. You could spend hours trying to get a group together.

I dont think Vanilla is near as awesone as most people seem to remember it, What was awesome was experiencing WoW for the first time, the very first time you saw Ironforge, or Stormwind or Orgrimar.

people and their rose colored glasses, Vanilla WoW was not hard, mote immersive? Maybe since you had to walk/run everywhere until lvl 40 and there was no flying. you had to discover things on your own. Also much fewer flight paths (none of which you knew until you actually found it) It was more immersive because you were forced to wander around and explore it. I'll never forget taking the boat to theramore from auberdine and then running to Ironforge on my night elf.
I think you just made the argument about why it was good. Developers had not yet enabled easy mode which force players hands into doing those things they may be uncomfortable doing. Most new MMO's cave in to not making newbies feel uncomfortable at the cost of long term benefit.

I think you just made the argument about why it was good. Developers had not yet enabled easy mode which force players hands into doing those things they may be uncomfortable doing. Most new MMO's cave in to not making newbies feel uncomfortable at the cost of long term benefit.

I didnt say it wasnt good, WoW was amazing back in the day (I have been playing since fiends and family beta) IMO it was amazing for the setting and environment, cities were huge and alive and just downright impressive to see. That feeling of exploring WoW for the first time is what I think most people are equating to "Vanilla" being better.

No matter how many expansions they make you will never get that feeling of experiencing WoW for the first time again, but people brand new to the game will.

People dont REALLY want to go back to a pure Vanilla experience, as made evident by the outrage when they announced no flying in WOD. Forcing people to walk around and experience the content firsthand was an outrage, so much so that people were going to quit the game.

People dont REALLY want to go back to a pure Vanilla experience, as made evident by the outrage when they announced no flying in WOD. Forcing people to walk around and experience the content firsthand was an outrage, so much so that people were going to quit the game.

The people who are complaining about lack of flying are probably not the same as the people who want a pure vanilla experience. Apples and Oranges are both allowed to exist in the universe.

I think people complaining about flying in WOD are partially because they sold flying mounts as preorder incentives. Plus, flying has become part of the *new* casual wow experience.

I don't care either way, but the overall feeling of Vanilla is a package deal. You are forced to enjoy the game in a different way. I realized that in MOP and CATA I just blew through zones without really taking in the design. Vanilla draws you in and forces you to think about everything. It is a purity, a vision. Not perfect, but different and good.

I think people complaining about flying in WOD are partially because they sold flying mounts as preorder incentives. Plus, flying has become part of the *new* casual wow experience.

I don't care either way, but the overall feeling of Vanilla is a package deal. You are forced to enjoy the game in a different way. I realized that in MOP and CATA I just blew through zones without really taking in the design. Vanilla draws you in and forces you to think about everything. It is a purity, a vision. Not perfect, but different and good.

How did you get Vanilla wow to run on a console? I thought it was PC/Mac only.

Just fired up Nostarlius Vanilla WOW over the weekend. Also I assume the OP put this in the wrong sub forum.

Back